LegacyGT.com

2008 Spec. B or 2008 2.5 GT

jay25rs

I was recently rear ended in my 2006 WRX, and while the damage wasn't extensive, I kind of want a new car now. Today I went and test drove a 2008 Legacy 2.5GT 5spd in Quartz Silver Metallic with spoiler and homelink mirror and I really liked it. My other option is a Spec. B. My question is this, Is the Spec. B really worth an almost $6,000 premium over the 2.5GT? For me the only thing that I don't like about the 2.5GT is that it has a 'weaker' transmission (I've never had transmission problems in any of my other Subarus, 1 2.5RS, and 3 WRX's, all manual, all modded) Navigation isn't too big of a deal, I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 that I would give to my mom if I got the Spec. B. Does the Spec. B drive differently than the 2.5GT? Does it handle better because of the suspension? I plan on purchasing 18" Prodrive GC-05F's in British black with either car so stock tires don't matter too much to me. Would 17" rims still fit ok on the Spec. B? The brakes appear to be identical and I have a 1 season old set of good Michelin Pilot Sport Arctic Alpine PA2's. It doesn't seem like there are too may problems with the 5spd in Legacy's, could be because of the more mature demographic driving them, or that they have a better final drive, 3.9 vs 3.7 in my WRX or that it is the RA box. Thanks.

are you going to do any heavy mods? if not, stick with the LGT 5 speed. if you plan on doing major mods (turbo upgrades, etc) and driving it hard with a lot of power, then you might want to consider the spec b if nothing else, because of the stronger STI 6 speed.

are you going to do any heavy mods? if not, stick with the LGT 5 speed. if you plan on doing major mods (turbo upgrades, etc) and driving it hard with a lot of power, then you might want to consider the spec b if nothing else, because of the stronger STI 6 speed.

I don't really know what I'll be doing... It seems as though at first, I will leave the car alone, at most, springs/struts, sway bars, turbo back exhaust, EM. But something about a 20G is oh so tempting. I have a bad habit of not keeping cars long enough to do really cool mods to and I don't know if I will continue enjoying the larger Legacy platform over the Impreza that I have had 4 of already. Such a dilemma I have :lol:

I have owned both WRX and now a Legacy. Its like going from a tin can to a bank vault. As a few have mentioned if you are going to mod heavy then the stronger tranny may be a consideration. Also note that the spec B does come with a lot of aluminum goodies underneath that the GT does not have. Its a tough call, I opted for a Spec B because I love the 6MT and Navi combination. Does my Nuvi work better yes most of the time it does, but I don't have to be fussing with a cable and the mount with the OEM unit.

Powerwise they are the same although a few on here would tell you the spec has some magic HP fairy dust. :lol: either one you can't go wrong. Sorry if I was not much help.

Deja vu man...

I just started a smily thread as I had the same problem from being hit a month ago in my 05 WRX.

Like you, I don't plan on going mod crazy right away (my WRX was stock save for a set of mud flaps), and was staying that way until it was paid off by the end of the year. Now I have a heap and a car payment. I get it back in about a week.

I have the exact same concers that you do, but have really decided that I can upgrade as time / budget allows, including the STi 6spd. Besides, I don't like being limited to diamond gray or silver.

I have a spec bee only because I had to agree on a car with my wife. I was originally torn between the STI and WRX and ended up getting the Spec B. Many of the items I wanted in the STI that I was not going to get in the WRX I got in the SPec B. The 6sp, Nav & aluminum suspension pieces made me feel as though I was getting a STI in a Leggy (sleeper) format. (sorta) If you have the dough it is a better platform to build from or Keep stock. And the tougher STI 6 speed is a key point to this car. It may be slower than the 5sp in 0-60 but oh well....

To throw another curve ball into the mix. I drove a 2008 WRX sedan last week... Boy was that a mistake :lol:! I liked how it handled. It definitely felt more tossable and sporty throwing it into a few turns than did the 2.5GT that I had previously drove. I don't know if I can get away from having that 'tossability' factor in my next car. I might just have to wait for the 2008 STI :cool:. But I still do need to find a Spec. B that I can test drive back to back with a 2.5GT, and a 2008 WRX hatch to make my final decision. So for now, I'll just be happy to get my car back while I'm running in circles. :spin:

Since you are pretty much plainning on swapping the suspension and tires and you already have a nav unit, its a waste to get a spec B especially if you don't keep a car long. I opted for one cause I really don't want to spend the time or money playing around with the suspension. If you aren't going alll out and going to do some major mods as long as you don't beat on your car at every stop light you'd probably be just fine with the 5spd.

just my $0.02

I have owned both WRX and now a Legacy. Its like going from a tin can to a bank vault. As a few have mentioned if you are going to mod heavy then the stronger tranny may be a consideration. Also note that the spec B does come with a lot of aluminum goodies underneath that the GT does not have. Its a tough call, I opted for a Spec B because I love the 6MT and Navi combination. Does my Nuvi work better yes most of the time it does, but I don't have to be fussing with a cable and the mount with the OEM unit.

Powerwise they are the same although a few on here would tell you the spec has some magic HP fairy dust. :lol: either one you can't go wrong. Sorry if I was not much help.

The dynos coming in all indicate that the Spec.B has more power than the LGT I'm pleased to report. A tuner familiar with LGTs has stated that with the same mods on the Spec.s produce more power than the LGT. However, if you plan heavy modding then that would be a moot point.

The tranny shouldn't be an issue if one were to go with the 5mt as there are very few reports of failures with it on this site. It was strengthened from the earlier model that did have some issues.

The Bilstein suspension with aluminum control arms, etc. is sweet but if you want to make a kidney punching track car then those parts are moot as well.

Why not save money and get an '07 Spec B used?

If you're not set on an '08 or "new" car, look around for a used Spec B.

The 5 speed GT vs. the 6 speed Spec depends on what you want from the car as others have said.

Road trips / extensive modding, you'll want that 6 gear ratio. City driving/town car + modding, get the GT.

Best of luck.

I was in the same situation and chose to go with the non-spec b. While I do kind of miss nav and the 6spd, the price difference was way too huge to justify the spec. I can live without the 6spd, get a better nav for $600, and then have $5400 to spend elsewhere.

I was recently rear ended in my 2006 WRX, and while the damage wasn't extensive, I kind of want a new car now. Today I went and test drove a 2008 Legacy 2.5GT 5spd in Quartz Silver Metallic with spoiler and homelink mirror and I really liked it. My other option is a Spec. B. My question is this, Is the Spec. B really worth an almost $6,000 premium over the 2.5GT? For me the only thing that I don't like about the 2.5GT is that it has a 'weaker' transmission (I've never had transmission problems in any of my other Subarus, 1 2.5RS, and 3 WRX's, all manual, all modded) Navigation isn't too big of a deal, I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 that I would give to my mom if I got the Spec. B. Does the Spec. B drive differently than the 2.5GT? Does it handle better because of the suspension? I plan on purchasing 18" Prodrive GC-05F's in British black with either car so stock tires don't matter too much to me. Would 17" rims still fit ok on the Spec. B? The brakes appear to be identical and I have a 1 season old set of good Michelin Pilot Sport Arctic Alpine PA2's. It doesn't seem like there are too may problems with the 5spd in Legacy's, could be because of the more mature demographic driving them, or that they have a better final drive, 3.9 vs 3.7 in my WRX or that it is the RA box. Thanks.

the enter key is your friend.

anyways, spec b ftw. (well i guess i'm a little biased.) the bilsteins will match up better if u decide to go with aftermarket springs.

I would say go with the SpecB if you are planning on changing the wheels....the '08 wheels are horrible. Other than that +1 for the SpecB:)

i wasnt feelin the 08 spec b rims either until i saw this:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/legacy007/Norwest%20Meet/10.jpg

pure sex.

If you were to buy the OEM 6speed trans, how much (in just parts) would it cost?

You don't need to waste money or thought on a 6mt. The lighter 5mt is plenty strong and with the wide power band of the turbo boxer makes for a great match.

You don't need to waste money or thought on a 6mt. The lighter 5mt is plenty strong and with the wide power band of the turbo boxer makes for a great match.

I understand that, I won't be spending $5-6k for a navi, suspension, wheels, transmission, and special leather inserts. I was just trying to get a feel of what each of the parts was worth individually.

The only part that interests me is the navi, and the trans is probably the bulk of the price difference. If we can find out how much each part actually costs, we may be able to help him make a more educated decision as to which car to get.

I was in the same situation and chose to go with the non-spec b. While I do kind of miss nav and the 6spd, the price difference was way too huge to justify the spec. I can live without the 6spd, get a better nav for $600, and then have $5400 to spend elsewhere.

Yea thats how i felt. I mean if i had the extra $$ i would spring for it. but i would up with a GT and still love it.

I understand that, I won't be spending $5-6k for a navi, suspension, wheels, transmission, and special leather inserts. I was just trying to get a feel of what each of the parts was worth individually.

The only part that interests me is the navi, and the trans is probably the bulk of the price difference. If we can find out how much each part actually costs, we may be able to help him make a more educated decision as to which car to get.

I figured the nav/info system on the 06 Spec. to be ~$2000.

The 6mt is nice but so is the 5mt. Different flavours.

but how well integrated is the navi to the whole car?

I'm not quite sure I understand this question? It's a touchscreen unit recessed into the center of the dash. The hardware/drivew for the navi is mounted under the driver's seat.

-Mike-

Archived