LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

I understand that and hence I was simply showing another option that offers a two-fold upgrade....though more costly. A clutch pack rear > torsen

Stock R160 is not Torsen, but viscous. Least desirable option.

As far as Torsen being better than clutch type - negative. Depends on the application. For road course in many cases - yup (and obviously for rallying). For autox and general street application - Torsen is a better choice. I guess it also depends on the driver's preference.

Also the stock 04-06 STI clutch diff (made by Hitachi) is crap. 2-way, very weak and with poor ramp up.

Stock R160 is not Torsen, but viscous. Least desirable option.

As far as Torsen being better than clutch type - negative. Depends on the application. For road course in many cases - yup (and obviously for rallying). For autox and general street application - Torsen is a better choice. I guess it also depends on the driver's preference.

Also the stock 04-06 STI clutch diff (made by Hitachi) is crap. 2-way, very weak and with poor ramp up.

I was referring to the torsen being in the back of the spec B vs clutch in the R180 from an STi...only clutch R160's that I know of were the early STi RA's before they switched to R180's in Ver 4 IIRC...

Also:

clutch > torsen would mean that the clutch style is better than torsen...however out back a clutch will not go to open when lifting a rear inside tire nor allow wheel spin as easily. Heck even with some high powered Impreza's on stock R180's they are peg legging (spinning a rear wheel) coming off of corners BUT you already explained about those junk Hitachi units.

My vote for setup for most everyone, except rally, is a torsen/helical front and a clutch rear. Center's are very much a personal preference type of deal. A 1-way clutch isn't bad up front for tarmac but is noisy.

I was referring to the torsen being in the back of the spec B vs clutch in the R180 from an STi...only clutch R160's that I know of were the early STi RA's before they switched to R180's in Ver 4 IIRC...

Also:

clutch > torsen would mean that the clutch style is better than torsen...however out back a clutch will not go to open when lifting a rear inside tire nor allow wheel spin as easily. Heck even with some high powered Impreza's on stock R180's they are peg legging (spinning a rear wheel) coming off of corners BUT you already explained about those junk Hitachi units.

My vote for setup for most everyone, except rally, is a torsen/helical front and a clutch rear. Center's are very much a personal preference type of deal. A 1-way clutch isn't bad up front for tarmac but is noisy.

I was responding in general - that it's not clear to me clutch is better than Torsen. I think it depends on the car and the application.

Lifting is somewhat less of a problem on Legacy with the longer wheelbase, and of course is a function of the suspension setup as well.

I have Torsen R180 rear on my Legacy (with helical front in the STI's 6MT). I also have a spare clutch R180 and I was thinking about putting on to compare. Might be waste of time. Do you have experience with non-stock clutch units in the rear? Seems Cusco RS has a good reputation.

Also, note Torsen diffs usually outlast the car, while clutch ones do wear and need to be periodically rebuild. I bet most pre-07 STI folks with some miles essentially run open diffs now...

Sorry, when I say lifting, I'm referring to weight transfer which will occur in all cases. Didn't mean literal lifting of the wheel. Nothing will really save it there short of a spool ;)

Cusco RS is a very nice unit and you can always stack the plates for the amount of lock you want.

Personally I'd run a Cusco RS and Quaife ATB front diff with either DCCD or Cusco Tarmac (essentially RWD biased open diff) center diff.

The 07 STi tranny is cheaper than the 06 for some strange reason.

07 is the first year subaru stopped running the oil pump in the trans. You can see on pre-07 setups where the hardline runs in and out of the box, that was for external trans cooler...

07 is the first year subaru stopped running the oil pump in the trans. You can see on pre-07 setups where the hardline runs in and out of the box, that was for external trans cooler...

That has nothing (or little) to do with it. I thoroughly researched the issue. 07 STI tranny price is simply a glitch in their pricing system, it boggles my mind they have not fixed it. The same "promotional" pricing applies to JDM dealer pricing for that model year.

Case in point: 08 tranny, also sans the oil pump costs as much as 04-06 trannies.

Also, Subarufast shows part numbers of the oil pump for ALL 07 STIs. It's weird they have not updated it. Also, early 07 STI did come with oil pumps, that has been confirmed by the presence of the oil pipe you mention.

Finally, the oil pump is rumored to be completely discontinued (it's going to be impossible to buy the part new from Subaru). Two independent Subaru techs confirmed they were told at Subaru training to replace the oil pump with the oil guides when servicing the oil pump. They provide a "oil guide retrofit kit" instead. There is a bulletin about this posted on nasioc somewhere.

It's mind boggling - it's like they are trying hard to eliminate the oil pumps. Yet, the oil pump is used in the 07 tranny they homologated for Group N rally (in GRB STI).

Edited by unclemat

wouldn't it be easier to just use 07 spec b parts, rather than mixing with driveshafts and rear diffs?

Yes, but New 07 spec. b drive shaft is over $650.00, half shafts are over $300 ea. The spec. b 6MT has no DCCD & front LSD. IMO if you going to send this kind of money. You want all the goodies.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

ooh okay. i haven't really paid much attention to this forum lately :(

but i think i've come to the conclusion i'm just gonna rebuild my trans, get a new front diff and replace whatever is necessary internally.

It would still probably be cheaper to just buy a 07 STi tranny new.

Get WRX R160 rear end that matching for 6MT. That way you can use the gt's stock rear half shafts. Use drive shaft out of 05 A\T legacy or new 4EAT. This will substantially cheaper. The DCCD controller I used. Is only a 5 wire hook-up.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN
OOPS! for clarity, thanks unclemat

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Get WRX R160 rear end that matching for 6MT. That way you can use the gt's stock rear half shafts. Use drive shaft out of 05 AT legacy or new 4EAT. This will substantially cheaper. The DCCD controller I used. Is only a 5 wire hook-up.

Mike

You did not make it any clearer. There is no OR. Only 05-09 4EAT Legacy drive shaft fits or SpecB driveshaft of course.

Sweet, I learned something new!!

That has nothing (or little) to do with it. I thoroughly researched the issue. 07 STI tranny price is simply a glitch in their pricing system, it boggles my mind they have not fixed it. The same "promotional" pricing applies to JDM dealer pricing for that model year.

Case in point: 08 tranny, also sans the oil pump costs as much as 04-06 trannies.

Also, Subarufast shows part numbers of the oil pump for ALL 07 STIs. It's weird they have not updated it. Also, early 07 STI did come with oil pumps, that has been confirmed by the presence of the oil pipe you mention.

Finally, the oil pump is rumored to be completely discontinued (it's going to be impossible to buy the part new from Subaru). Two independent Subaru techs confirmed they were told at Subaru training to replace the oil pump with the oil guides when servicing the oil pump. They provide a "oil guide retrofit kit" instead. There is a bulletin about this posted on nasioc somewhere.

It's mind boggling - it's like they are trying hard to eliminate the oil pumps. Yet, the oil pump is used in the 07 tranny they homologated for Group N rally (in GRB STI).

I'm the second person that's about to blow up If im going to use my 5EAT driveshaft then i can only keep my front half and need to buy a 07 spec.b. rear half?? Wouldnt it be vice versa? I really want to refrain from running to the dealer while doing this. Edited by kiyanichenko