NEW

Plugs

Wires

Coil Pack

CLEANED

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Idle Air Control Valve

Throttle Body

Intake (seafoam through brake booster line)

Fuel Injectors (seafoam in gas tank)

CHECKED

Compression

Vacuum Leaks

Intake leaks

Timing (belt)

Everything checks out ok, however I got a misfire code again today...except now its moved from cylinder 2 to P0301 - misfire cylinder 1.

There are no other codes along with it. Right after I gave the engine a chemical bath lol.....I had a code for the downstream o2 sensor (after cat), however that has no relation to ignition (only the upstream does). I had cleared that o2 code, and it has not come back since. I think all the cleaners I put in the engine tripped the code.

Drivability is just fine without AC...however when I turn on the AC, it seems to misfire pretty bad between 2300 - 3100 rpms. Up around 3500 and above, it seems to be just fine.

I'm tapped out on ideas besides starting to throw parts at it (cam / crank sensors, upstream o2, iac, maf, etc). Can anyone else think of anything that I may be missing? Grounding mod is coming tomorrow, but I HIGHLY doubt that it will solve the problem.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

one and two share the front side of the coil. i would clear the codes and drive it. when you get new codes read them. if one and two re-occur then it is probably your coil. (one and two fire together and 3 and 4 fire together .

• I Donated

Before I did any repairs, it was cylinder 2. After repairs (including a new coil pack) it was cylinder 1.

Think I may have got a bad coil pack from AZ?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
check your knock sensor. mine was giving me misfires intermittently, visual inspection of the knock sensor revealed a cracked housing. replaced and no more misfire codes.

wow I don't know why I didn't think of that!

I believe I still have an OEM knock sensor on my other Legacy. I'll rip it off and see if it solves the problem

Thanks for the idea!

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Check the simple-free stuff too. The connection (3 wire) to the coil may have suffered in your cleaning quest. Pull it apart and clean it out. It's possible, it's free and it's right on the top of the motor.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Mayhaps the o-rings within the fuel rail seals at each cylinder? I had finally gotten all cylinders misfiring down to one, found my o-ring at the seal was doubled up by the previous owner....replaced it and now the same leak/problem moved to the next cylinder along the rail.

• I Donated
I'm going to swap around some injectors to see if the misfire moves, so when I do that I'll find out if there is anything wrong with the orings

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

The o-rings for my injectors were actually fine, it was at the bolt-together seal on the rail itself where my problem existed. Unlikely yours is the same fix (how many people are doubling up on o-rings lol), but if the injectors and their o-rings are okay....

Archived