LegacyGT.com

2.5 NA suspension upgrades

Hey everyone,

I have a 2008 2.5i LTD Legacy with auto trans. Its my daily driver and I was close to trading it in for an E90 328xi but decided to hang onto it for at least the winter and into spring. One thing that always bugged me about this car is the body roll. I get the impression that bigger front and rear sway bars would make a big difference maybe even a front strut brace.

What do you guys think? I won't put a ton of money into this car but I would like to improve the body roll problem. Which would make the biggest bang for the buck?

Rallitek Front or rear? Will one of the two make a bigger difference than the other? I might try them one at a time. Or strut brace? Or is there a different brand that is better?

Thanks,

Andy

Rear swaybar pretty well solved the bodyroll issues I had, I went with the Cusco 21mm rear w/ Energy Suspension bushings. Pretty glad I didn't go with the 19mm JDM bar, kind of wish I went with something even a touch bigger to be honest.

the biggest difference will be from the rear sway, for the 2.5i, the rallitek front sway is the only one that fits

if you do go for the rear sway, you'll want to upgrade the sway bar mounts and also prob consider upgrading the endlinks as well

front strut brace will prob have the least impact in terms of affecting the body roll.

Rear swaybar pretty well solved the bodyroll issues I had, I went with the Cusco 21mm rear w/ Energy Suspension bushings. Pretty glad I didn't go with the 19mm JDM bar, kind of wish I went with something even a touch bigger to be honest.

1st, the JDM bar is hollow and 20mm,

2nd it is pretty well built imo

using it right now, huge difference

stock endlinks will be fine, but u need the AVO mounting brackets (IT'S A MUST)

1st, the JDM bar is hollow and 20mm,

2nd it is pretty well built imo

using it right now, huge difference

stock endlinks will be fine, but u need the AVO mounting brackets (IT'S A MUST)

I was going from memory so I got the size wrong, and I don't doubt it's well built (how do you screw up a RSB?), but I'm using a bigger, solid RSB and still wish I had more. I do have a wagon though, so more weight up high at the back of the car than a sedan, maybe that makes a difference?

Fully agreed on the RSB brackets though, glad to see we agree on that point, now, lol.;)

Thanks guys. I see on the RalliTEK page that you can get a 19 mm RSB including poly bushings for $179, then the AVO RSB mounts for $89. The RSB is out of stock though. I found the Cusco RSB at rallysportdirect.com and it is also out of stock.

Any know of a reputable place to get this stuff where it isn't out of stock?

Andy

Thanks guys. I see on the RalliTEK page that you can get a 19 mm RSB including poly bushings for $179, then the AVO RSB mounts for $89. The RSB is out of stock though. I found the Cusco RSB at rallysportdirect.com and it is also out of stock.

Andy

I bought mine in the classifieds, they don't go bad. If you buy used, get new bushings, they are cheap.

Andy

can get right from avo themselves

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/suspension-c-6_7_35.html

i think just mention in the comments section of the order that you're an LGT member.

fred beans parts also has great customer service, they are a vendor here, but their website is here: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/all.html?subaru=272&search=View+Products&cat=73

they have online chat support on their website so it's pretty helpful or you can message jeremy (forget his screen name) of fred beans parts on here, and ..........underdog (rick) for questions.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/all.html?subaru=272&search=View+Products&cat=73

• 3 weeks later...

^ welcome Robbo

actually the thread is from just a month ago, so it's not too bad of a revive. the mounts are usually referring to the rear sway bar mounts since they are known weak area on the legacy, see attached photo:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/libertygt/Dead%20Alpaca/Mar07003.jpg

so typically most people use something like this:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/avo-subaru-legacy-gt-rear-stabilizer-bar-mount-reinforcement-brackets.html

to replace the oem mounts, once installed will look much stronger like this:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/s/1/s1104m1ht001t_2.jpg

the stout mount design from perrin should also work, but admittedly i don't have any personal experience with that design so i'm not very familiar with it.

i think i may have read in passing someone had mounts bust on them with a jdm rear sway, i don't remember the context of the situation though, the member may have been auto-x or tracking the vehicle for that to happen.

i would probably say the jdm rear sway is o-k for just DD, since most of the time you're just traveling in a straightline and taking turns at normal speeds with only occasional spirited driving. and if they do bust, no big deal, then you know you need the aftermarket mounts

i think i may have read in passing someone had mounts bust on them with a jdm rear sway, i don't remember the context of the situation though, the member may have been auto-x or tracking the vehicle for that to happen.

i would probably say the jdm rear sway is o-k for just DD, since most of the time you're just traveling in a straightline and taking turns at normal speeds with only occasional spirited driving. and if they do bust, no big deal, then you know you need the aftermarket mounts

If you get under the car and have a look for yourself, you'd likely agree that the reinforcement brackets are a good idea even if you've got a stock RSB, lol. Guys have bent them with stock RSB's, and that just makes it harder to install the brackets when the time comes.

i'm aware of their weakness .....see post #13 .......

i am recommending the mounts, but if he doesn't want to get them, all hell isn't going to break loose while he's sitting in traffic on his morning commute to work with his jdm sway on stock mounts.

the cusco products for some reason seem to be susceptible to rust, not sure how bad winters are in your area and if they salt roads or not.

otherwise there is avo, perrin, whiteline, progress; most which run around the $200ish mark. perrin RSB is the beefiest at 25mm, not sure if that would be overkill or not.

then rallitek has their front and rear set for $329

I run the 22mm Perrin RSB at full stiff with poly bushings and Progress reinforcement brackets. I had the 20mm JDM bar first as well. Both yielded significant improvement over the previous setup in handling.

I also run the 25mm Tribeca front sway which is another cost effective alternative for the NA FSB.

The Progress rear mount reinforcement brackets are much more affordable than the competition but currently on backorder: http://www.progressauto.com/products/productID/481

IIRC, they were around US$30.

I have the ebay strutbars F&R - no discernable difference but decent bling factor :)

the cusco products for some reason seem to be susceptible to rust, not sure how bad winters are in your area and if they salt roads or not.

otherwise there is avo, perrin, whiteline, progress; most which run around the $200ish mark. perrin RSB is the beefiest at 25mm, not sure if that would be overkill or not.

then rallitek has their front and rear set for $329

I thought it was me but i agree AVO products seems to have a better coating the Cusco bar out of my buddies 05 LGT looks like it was made out of Galvanized LOL

Archived