LegacyGT.com

Center Cubby and wierd humming noise

Just picked up my new 2007 2.5i yesterday. Traded my 1999 LGT. Is there supposed to be a rubber mat or something like that at the bottom of the center cubby? All I see are two screws...doesn't look right.

Also, when the power is on, engine on or off, ACC on, there is a noticable hum/buzz coming from the dash. Sounds like a transformer buzz. Haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. Anyone else have this sound?

Dealer sucking note....told me they would sell me the fog lights at cost...they wanted $525! WTF, i'll be doing this myself...

I'll have to check with the dealer about getting the mat, thanks.

The sound is coming from the dash. You can hear it when the radio and HVAC are completely shutdown. Harder to hear when the radio is on but it is still there. Sounds like something in the electronics behind the dash.

This is a real long shot, but turn the key to the "on" position and listen to the engine compartment from outside the car. The 05's had a problem with the fuel regulator buzzing. Maybe this is the cause. There is a TSB relating to this problem.

Just checked in more detail. No sound coming from under the hood. It is definitely coming from the radio/HVAC head unit. Put my ear up to the radio and I could pin point it to that. Sounds like a high pitch buzz with a scratchy noise in the background that sounds almost like a hard drive...wierd...I'll be installing sirius in a few weeks so when I pull it apart to hide the AUX wire I'll try and pin point the exact cause unless someone beats me to it...definitely doesn't sounds healthy though...

Just picked up my new 2007 2.5i yesterday. Traded my 1999 LGT. Is there supposed to be a rubber mat or something like that at the bottom of the center cubby? All I see are two screws...doesn't look right.

Also, when the power is on, engine on or off, ACC on, there is a noticable hum/buzz coming from the dash. Sounds like a transformer buzz. Haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. Anyone else have this sound?

Dealer sucking note....told me they would sell me the fog lights at cost...they wanted $525! WTF, i'll be doing this myself...

I also have the high pitch buzz, it sounds like it is coming from the Stereo head unit.

Man i must have got lucky when i bought mine last week. I got it under sticker and they threw in fog lights for free, installed. The salesmen told me there is no money in subarus.

I got back from the dealership and they said that there is nothing that they can do about the low/high pitch hum, some sort of electrical interferance and they checked two other cars and its the same humming noise across the board.

so, either I have to deal with it or get really annoy by it. my car has only 1100 miles on it, got it brand new and hate to see this kind of problem on a new car.

Maybe Subby Corp can do a recall or something, just a thought.

I got back from the dealership and they said that there is nothing that they can do about the low/high pitch hum, some sort of electrical interferance and they checked two other cars and its the same humming noise across the board.

so, either I have to deal with it or get really annoy by it. my car has only 1100 miles on it, got it brand new and hate to see this kind of problem on a new car.

Maybe Subby Corp can do a recall or something, just a thought.

Wait, so they can identify this but they won't do anything about it? Don't accept that as an answer, tell them to talk to the SoA rep. That's fscked up.

eDrive,

Thanks for the update. SOA has to do something about this. Since it appears to be a universal problem, all 2007 models and maybe even older models with the same HU design, everyone should contact them and complain. Not that it is a performance issue but man is it annoying...

I called SOA and they are closed due to turkey weekend. But anyone that is having the same problem and want to make Subaru aware of this annoying hum then should also call SOA on Monday. Number is 1-800-subaru3.

Jbrsbot is correct on the description of the hum as with all following posters describing the problem. Til then, have a nice weekend everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

I found a solution!!!

this is what you do.

1. Start the car and you hear the stupid buzz noise coming from the main console.

2. On the left side is the dimming dashboard nob, set the nob to second highest. The buzz noise will be less but it will still be there.

3. Then turn on your headlights, and whoaaaala, buzzing noise begone!!

I am no electrical expert, but it looks like some wire(s) is not grounded properly.

try it and let us know. I have the 07 limited edition with the dimming mirrors, remote starter and spoiler. I am not sure if these items comes into play with the buzz noise or just with the model itself.

I found a solution!!!

this is what you do.

1. Start the car and you hear the stupid buzz noise coming from the main console.

2. On the left side is the dimming dashboard nob, set the nob to second highest. The buzz noise will be less but it will still be there.

3. Then turn on your headlights, and whoaaaala, buzzing noise begone!!

I am no electrical expert, but it looks like some wire(s) is not grounded properly.

try it and let us know. I have the 07 limited edition with the dimming mirrors, remote starter and spoiler. I am not sure if these items comes into play with the buzz noise or just with the model itself.

I noticed this work around too, but the dimmer switch only works when the headlights are on. When the DRL are on the radio illumination is fixed at full...:icon_mad:

I am not following on your last statement. "When the DRL are on the radio illumination is fixed at full..."

When my dimmer is set to the second highest and headlights are on, my radio illumination is not fixed to full illumination . My radio dim is the same dim as in the dashboard. I just leave my dimmer to second power and headlights on all the time now, just to get rid of that buzz.

On a side note, I just broke 300 miles on a full tank.

I am not following on your last statement. "When the DRL are on the radio illumination is fixed at full..."

When my dimmer is set to the second highest and headlights are on, my radio illumination is not fixed to full illumination . My radio dim is the same dim as in the dashboard. I just leave my dimmer to second power and headlights on all the time now, just to get rid of that buzz.

On a side note, I just broke 300 miles on a full tank.

You are bypassing the issue entirely by leaving your headlights on all the time. I was saying that when the headlights are off, and only DRLs are on, the dimming switch doesn't work...

Had my car for a full month now, started at 199, now at just over 4,000 :(. I can comfortably break 400 miles on a full tank with highway driving.

Archived