LegacyGT.com

new car rustproofing

Guest mj2017

Guest mj2017

Hi. Just bought a 2017 Legacy and live in upstate ny where they use a lot of salt on the roads in the winter.

Is aftermarket rustproofing needed on these cars?

Never owned a Subaru before.

Just wash it during the warmer days in winter. My 05 is still in good shape rust wise. It's been going to VT most every winter weekend since I bought it new.

Make sure you wash under the door frames where they close on the rubber seal along the rocker panel.

I would think about the 3M clear bra on the leading edges and half the hood, up the A pillars and across the front of the roof, if you do a lot of highway driving with the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do you have a ziebart near you? I did my undercoating/rustproofing and it's in great condition...I worked on my friends 11 sti and his bottom was all rusted and harder to work on. (Chicago winters)

Don't pay stealership for this service.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

The dealer "paint protection" is a waste of money and snake oil. Clear bra is the way to go for long term protection. Fluid-Film sprayed into body cavities will prevent rust in the long term.

come on downstate to rockland county, I can perform a New car Protection package,

Wash, chemical decon and clay decon, paint refinement for clarity, and protection package to follow, BeedsHD or CquartzUK ceramic coatings for 2-3 years of real protection or Sio2 primer polish topped with Daddyo Crème sealant topped with Clutch Sio2 for a solid maintainable 8 months to 1 yr protection.

Finesse Fanatics LLC 1-845-323-2553 @finessefanatics on instagram

In Ontario I use Krown Rustproofing and get it resprayed yearly in the fall. My '08 has no rust. On the undercarriage the film of rustproofing keeps most nuts and bolts and other things like brake lines corrosion free and easier to work on when needed. I think for cars in the rust-belt it provides great protection for inside the doors and other body cavity areas prone to collecting condensation. That said, keeping the body as clean as possible during winter months doesn't hurt either.

I m upstate NY too. I wash it a lot and if you are not keeping it 8-10 years or so, you won t have a problem. Lots of surface rust on larger steel underside parts but nothing to worry about. Bolts will get tougher to remove but that s life. If you are trying to keep it really long go with the above Krown treatment.

Archived