LegacyGT.com

08 LGT: Blowing white smoke on cold start...

My LGT has 1900 miles on it and started blowing white smoke on start up three days ago. Everytime the engine is cold started (I left work yesterday at 4pm and it was 85 degrees out) it does this, to include this morning.

The cloud lasts for only the first second or two after start up and has a faintly oil smell to it; possibly coolant but I can't smell to good with the allergies anyway.

I received an oil change a week and a half ago (at the dealership).

I filled it with a mix of Shell V-power and BP's 92 octane gas.

Any suggestions before I take it to the dealership? I thought yesterdays *might* have been condensation but todays is something much worse.

yeah that shouldnt happen. the only time ive ever seen white smoke coming from a car was when my dad's suburban blew a head gasket. at that milage, id definately take it back to the dealer and dont let them give you any bullshit.

Yeah.

Looks like coolant in the oil. Lower coolant and an off-color (yellow/greenish) oil. Not too mention the oil level is way beyond full.

Does over-filling oil cause this? I scheduled the appointment with the dealership tomorrow and its probably bye-bye to my LGT for a long while...

I'd have it towed to the dealership. I haven't read the rules for towing reimbursement, but I wouldn't give the dealership or Subaru a chance to give you a hard time for driving it the way it is, especially if the white smoke is noticeable.

Ok I perused the NASIOC forums and caught a single post where someone said that it was too much oil. Mine is nearly twice what should be in it and I went to the dealership immediately after writing the second post.

They confirmed and drained nearly 3/4 of a quart of oil and replaced it with new. I need to double back on my post slightly and say that I'm not sure there was coolant in the oil. The rag had a slightly yellowish tinge but it's hard to tell exactly.

I'm going to attempt two more cold starts with driving to see if there is still an issue. With a decrease in oil (a subsequent decrease in pressure) I am hoping that the situation will cease.

What are the major seals affected by oil over pressure? What can I expect, if this situation does stop, for components affected and long term effects?

Oh yeah, the dealership were the boneheads who did the oil service.

if it were an ATV with aftermarket piston/rings id say the rings tighten up as they heat and its fine but on the car i think the tolerances should be a little tighter good luck

Had a old Civic that cracked a valve. did the same exact thing......

Not the "same exact thing". The only fluid a cracked valve could have possibly let into your cylinder was oil. Your smoke should have been more of a blueish color with a non-sweet smell.

white smoke = water.

white smoke with sweet smell = water w/ coolant

black smoke = gas

blue smoke =oil

True. I'll add that water everaporation will dissapate relatively quickly, while white smoke from coolant is whiter and lingers for a noticably longer amount of time.

True. I'll add that water everaporation will dissapate relatively quickly, while white smoke from coolant is whiter and lingers for a noticably longer amount of time.

This would be about right as far as descriptions go. I cold started this morning with no smoke at all (and two observers). I contacted the dealership for confirmation that the corrective measures were documented and cancelled my appointment. I appreciate the input I got here and if anyone else experiences white smoke on relatively new vehicles to immediately check your oil level.

I'll maintain an eye on the fluids weekly instead of monthly from now on and post an updates (which I hope there are none) if the situation changes.

Thanks again.

dealer put 8+ quarts of oil in my car a few months back, and when it started, the smoke that came out was white, and smelled kinda sweet/plastic-y. because it was synthetic (GC to be exact) the smoke was white and didnt smell oily. interestingly though, it took a whole 30 higway miles before the smoke that poured out of it was great enough to be noticeable. the increased pressure blew out a small seal in the back of the engine, dealer fixed it. worst part is, it was only at the dealers for the state inspection :(.

i thought it was headgasket to begin with, as the coolant level did rise abit during this whole thing, and the drop dramatically after the engine was shut off, and the smoke was white, not blue/black/grey.

Ring(s) or headqasket. Short of that it possibly an injector issue, but would go with one of the first two before looking at the injector.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That's a pretty big statement... what do you base this assumption on?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487482&highlight=stop+sale

I have a friend who's 08 STI was outside of the VIN range, and yet he started blowing smoke shortly after his first oil change...

Took it to the dealer w/ 4k on the ticker, and he'd cracked TWO ring lands... Cyl 2 & 4...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487482&highlight=stop+sale

I have a friend who's 08 STI was outside of the VIN range, and yet he started blowing smoke shortly after his first oil change...

Took it to the dealer w/ 4k on the ticker, and he'd cracked TWO ring lands... Cyl 2 & 4...

And this translates to "all the 08 turbo cars" how?

lol

And this translates to "all the 08 turbo cars" how?

Did you click on the link :rolleyes:

Think whatever you want, but there's an issue with a LOT of the 08 2.5L turbos (ok, so I shouldn't have said all)

Did you click on the link :rolleyes:

Think whatever you want, but there's an issue with a LOT of the 08 2.5L turbos (ok, so I shouldn't have said all)

Please inform yourself before you spread crap rumors like this. There are several threads here you could have searched.

this thread has me paranoid, i made a video of my new exhaust and it's blowing some white smoke... this was taken a few months ago and it was pretty cool outside. i checked my coolant and the level is ok. someone tell me my car is ok.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_m6g87KOc0]YouTube - Greddy EVO2 on a Legacy GT[/ame]

Archived