LegacyGT.com

Changing car to front or rear wheel drive

Andrey

Yes it car be done. Actually it's pretty easy.. You need to take the centre diff appart and do some welding.

A. you will shatter diff's often (Applicable MUCH more to RWD+Turbo.)

B. They really are NOT made to be 2WD

C. You lack the power for doing serious burn outs :p

I suggest getting a beefy rear sway bar, that will kill your understeer if thats what's desired. If it's more power at the wheels, converting to 2WD isn't the way to go about it.

Anyway, read this thread to learn more:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forums/index.php?topic=19440.0

Ah, a note on 'C.' I actually used to own a 94 Liberty LX, Was a FWD 2.2 and about the only thing it could do was burnouts.. FWD is so epic fail. i'm SO glad i have AWD now. You really need a turbo to go with it though...

why do you want to get rid of the awd?

drifting is big in Japan and AWD cars can't compete so the boys are modding the Subies and converting them to RR drive. from what i read about it it is really quite simple to change it to RR drive. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I use to play with the FWD fuse in my 98 2.5, turned a few heads at the drag strip to see a Legacy doing a front wheel burn out. However all my fun came to a quick end when i got the worst axle hop ever one rainy night doing a burn out with it and i snapped an axle in two. made for a LONG drive home and made the tranny hate me more than normal. So id go along with everyone else, stick to AWD. even though they do put pretty thick CV shafts in a subaru they just wont hold up long when your screwing around and you know thats what your going to do with a FWD or RWD Legacy about 90% of the time.

well, yes actually, you can bolt in the STI 6spd, depending on the year of your car you might need to swap axles, unless you started with a automatic then you have a ton of stuff to swap.

i think you need the computer that controls the stock STI DCCD, or it will not work and just be stuck 50/50

all manual trans 1990+ will bolt to any Subaru 1990+, any 1990+ engine will bolt into any 1990+ car, even the EZ motors. the diesel might be slightly different but we wont worry about that for another 2 years.

Yeah, i have a manual, and i know the box's are interchangable.. Wasn't sure on the DCCD though, i was more thinking on the actually getting it working side of things :D

Some day....

Archived