LegacyGT.com

Such a thing as a locking bolt? +other Q?

Xantium

Just so the actual question makes sense, here is my plan. I'm going to get a flat tray of aluminum, and lay it in the bottom of the spare tire area. You know how theres that hand tightened giant wingnut type thing that holds the spare down? Well im planning on drilling a hole in the center of the tray and bolting it down to the trunk using that threaded hole. Im going to try and mount my two amps and cleansweep on that tray.

Now, my question is: Is there such a thing as a bolt that will hold that down that cannot be removed without a very special tool. Kind of an antitheft precaution. Basically im looking for a lug nut lock that will thread into that particular hole... any ideas?

Now another question. I got a sheet of 1/8" abs black plastic and im going to try and cut it into the shape of the heated seat switch and mount it in there for my cleansweep, rbc1, and x50. One side is textured and the other is glossy smooth. Any opinoins on what would look best? Should i buff the gloss side with toothpaste to try and get a matte finish or should i paint it trim color. Having a rought time deciding what would look the least out of place :(

Paint it trim color, make it look stock, definitely. That's also the hardest to do.

About the nut, just use Loctite, the red stuff is permanant, blue is semi-perm. Coat the whole bolt (2-3" right?) with the semi-perm & removing it would take a thief 20 minutes. Use a steel/nylon self-locking nut to really give yourself a headache. Then again, you'll need to do the same with the amp screws too, or use allen bolts.

Head's up tho - mounting them this way will ground them to that bolt, possible ground loops & engine noise...

Now, my question is: Is there such a thing as a bolt that will hold that down that cannot be removed without a very special tool. Kind of an antitheft precaution. Basically im looking for a lug nut lock that will thread into that particular hole... any ideas?

There is a threaded nylon locking nut, but for anti-theft, they'll just rip the unit right off with brute force. The other thing to do:

Weld the bolt threads onto the chassis from below.

Keefe

The existing "bolt" is much too small to provide any security benefit. I assume you still want access to a spare, so if you wanted to make it secure and removable, I would do one of two things...

1) Cut off/out the existing stud. Drill and tap the existing hole out to a much larger diameter thread, like 5/8-11 or 1/2-13, and then screw in a length of all thread using loctite red (271) which is permanent. If you let it cure, you'd need a blow torch to remove it.

2) Cut off/out the existing stud and weld in a thicker one (again, 1/2" or 5/8" all thread).

Once you have a stronger threaded stud to secure to, either use a locking nut (like, one that uses a key, like what you'd find for a wheel nut), or drill a hole through the rod & use a good padlock.

Of course, the bottom line is, if someone wants to steal your stuff, they're going to find a way to do it...so, good luck. I wouldn't go too overboard. Your best defense is probably just finding a good way to hide it.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Archived