LegacyGT.com

Who has more or around 350whp on stock gears (5MT)?

WRX_Fan_0717

Well here is the story. I am actually a Nasioc puke. :lol:

I have an 02 wrx which is one of the weakest trans (more particuarely the gears) there is.

Currently i have a 20g (on the stock 2.0 block) Externally Gated with a Tial 44, FMIC, every bolt on imaginable.

I hit 336awhp and 306tq at 19psi on a dynapack, and 350awhp and 311tq at 21psi on a dynojet. I have been driving on the ALL STOCK TRANNY (upgraded clutch, PP) for over 6 months. I do pleantly of WOT pulls not nice to the car. But, i reduce the "driveline shock" as much as feasible.

I have been driving a manual since 2001 and have been driving with 350wheel on an 02 tranny for 6 months and 300+ for a year before that. I think i am doing something right. ;)

So i am getting the LGT 1-5 gears installed with my Helical Front LSD here shortly. But, getting the jitters.

I have read (searched) other threads but nothing of notable info i want.

How much can these gears take? I don't want to spend 3k and blow second to tranny hell. :spin:

But, i also don't have 6k for PPGs.

Anyone ever launch? (i have yet to do, suprisingly)

Every here of the gears themself breaking?

So you guys would know better than anyone i can think of. I know the clutch is weak sauce but what about the gears??

Any help would be greatly appreaciated. I am getting them soon and need some reassurance. :lol:

Anthony

yeah i've got around 325whp on a l&s it would be 350whp on a dynojet. No problems here 20g. 5th gear synchro is a little worn out but that was happening since 20k miles on the car at just stage II levels.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

yeah i've got around 325whp on a l&s it would be 350whp on a dynojet. No problems here 20g. 5th gear synchro is a little worn out but that was happening since 20k miles on the car at just stage II levels.

Cool man good to here. Just want to make sure i don't blow 3k on LGT gears and break a tooth or something.

I think the gears are getting modded to fit the wrx transmission so i will be using the rex synchros and internals minus the gears them self.

I have been searching and haven't found anyone who has broken a gear tooth yet so thats a good sign. :redface:

Anthony

Check this thread out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86415

People *have* shredded gears in a LGT....

Good Luck!;)

Yea but he had big HP and TQ and a 6 puck unsprung puck :eek:.

I would be hesitant to put that thing on a set of PPG's. Well, maybe not.

Anyway, yea i am not making near that torque or hp.

Plus, either people don't post up when they tear a tooth or it dosen't happen. You go to a WRX forum 10 people a week per chapter strip a gear.

:spin:

Hmm more searching for me. :lol:

Why not get a PPG 1-2, save up, then get the 3-4? PPG doesn't make a 5th gear anyway for your car.

I could. Not sure if i want to have to drop the tranny twice. Plus, i am more worried about third than anything.

The WRX has a shorter 2nd and long third which causes a huge shock on the trans. (big drop)

God i don't know and can't figure it out. I think i am going to wait until my tranny breaks and then make my decision. Then i will have to decide. :lol:

373whp 390wtq dynapack @agile

Had this for about a year, but really don't launch hard. no problems...

Awesome, I knew there were a few people with at least 350 wheel with no issues.

I don' think i will ever launch my car hard so i dobt that will be an issue.

I'm guessing launching (or slipping the clutch in other gears) is the biggest issue with stock clutches going. I basically follow the rule of "fully engage clutch, then completely floor it". This doesn't make for quick launches in 1st gear, but I think it really saves our 5MT.

I'm guessing launching (or slipping the clutch in other gears) is the biggest issue with stock clutches going. I basically follow the rule of "fully engage clutch, then completely floor it". This doesn't make for quick launches in 1st gear, but I think it really saves our 5MT.

If i did that om my 5mt i would have pieces of gear tooth everywhere. :lol:

The only thing i am taking is the gears and input/output shaft etc. The Case/clutch/fly etc will all be from a WRX.

It seems the real weak point in the LGT tranny is the clutch.

I will be running a Greddy Stg2 w/ ACT Streetlite fly, Group N mounts (all of them), Helical LSD front diff, LGT 1-5 gears, and a bunch of other small goodies. SHould make for a good auto-x car.

I did the "let the clutch engage and floor it" last weekend at the strip and chipped 1st gear. Everything hooked up without even a little tires spin, so something had to give. The good news is that my SPEC Stg2 clutch/LWFW held great and didn't slip either:lol:.

Now does anybody know if either of these will fit in our gearbox?

3.166 (1st) 1.882 (2nd) 1.296 (3rd) 0.972 (4th) 0.738 (5th) STi (Non-RA)(5 speed)

3.083 (1st) 2.062 (2nd) 1.545 (3rd) 1.151 (4th) 0.825 (5th) STi RA(5 speed)

I'm looking for something a little better than our gears, but don't want to spend $4K-$8K on them.

Let's kick this pig!

Yea but he had big HP and TQ and a 6 puck unsprung puck :eek:.

I would be hesitant to put that thing on a set of PPG's. Well, maybe not.

Anyway, yea i am not making near that torque or hp.

Plus, either people don't post up when they tear a tooth or it dosen't happen. You go to a WRX forum 10 people a week per chapter strip a gear.

:spin:

Hmm more searching for me. :lol:

:spin::lol: HA HA that was me. :) my car made 368 on a mustang.. so 420ish on a dynojet. i didnt drive the car hard, and before the tranny went it spent most of the time i had it @ 18psi wastgate pressure.. so 300ish wheel hp. the tranny lasted about 5k... NO LAUNCHES at that power, just freeway onramps.. 2nd and 3rd gear.. not getting on it until the clutch was completely out. the rest of the car's life was on an STI vf39. from the previous owner. as i said, tranny lasted 5-7k after the GT30R. and the 6-puck clutch only had about 10k on it.

I changed over to the 04 STI 6MT, and could not be happier!! :wub:

I actually decided to on the PPG Straight Cut 1-4. Then i got sitting in my living room an OBX front diff, Group N mounts (all of them), SS Clutch line, Exedy STG 2 clutch, ACT Streetlite FW, and some other small goodies.

I am going to Andrewtech right now to put my deposit and set my appointment.

I decided yea it is 6 grand. But, if i were to spend 3 grand on a LGT tranny and break a gear i would be pissed as all hell. I know i wont break PPGs.

I can finally do my race gas tune. YAY !!!

400+WHP FTMFW !!!

• 7 years later...

I've been to the drag on 2 separate occations and no problems. I have also launched on the street many times. However the first time at the track the tires weren't 100% and now with better tires the clutch isn't 100%. This is with 108,000 miles now.

And I am stage 2. Not really the power levels you were asking about but I do enjoy driving this car.

Also, put up a build thread

Waiting patiently to have you molest my car.

• 2 weeks later...
452awhp 401awtq on dynojet at 25psi 93oct and trans holding up with just blast plates. Haven't launched yet, makes me nervous haha but plenty of rowing through the gears. Only been 3k miles with this set up so I'll see how it goes

Archived