LegacyGT.com

Wind noise "buzzing" from front passenger window.

I picked up a 2015 Legacy 2.5 limited several days ago.

I noticed that at speeds above 35 mph, there is slight buzzing noise from the front passenger window area. Slow down and the noise goes away.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at 35 MPH. At highway speed, I hear some minor wind noise, but nothing that I wouldn't expect from a non-luxury car.

I think I've been hyper-sensitive to finding this noise after reading the threads over on subaruoutback.org. If what I'm hearing is "the noise", I'm not sure what the fuss is about. Now I'm wondering if some cars might have loose weather stripping or something that makes it worse on certain vehicles.

Guest rayms69
Sorry to joke, I didn't hear mine, very quiet ride on the highway nice calm day. My $60k audi whistles on the mirrors, I wouldn't worry about it if everything looks right and doors are straight. My hood, right rear pass door and fuel filler door look like mutt and Jeff installed them, check your gaps. They were definitely in hurry on mine, quality control must have been high that day.

x2 on that wind noise at 35ish mph or above ... It reminds me of a cassette player making noise, but definitely wind noise.

The passenger mirror doesn't seem to be completely pressed on the door (not that it's loose, but it's not as tight as it could be).

I'm also going to look at the hood as someone mentioned above. Seems like it's either by the cowl / upper dash area, or the mirror... Somewhere in that corner.

Just posted in the "wind noise" thread on the Outback forum:

Ok guys, the word is out.

Dealer just called me and they have the GO from SOA to fix the side window (triangle).

It needs to be removed and installed correctly. Easy fix and only on first production models.

So if you hear the wind noise, call your dealer they will fix it.

No serial number range posted yet.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw in a quick update for the buzzing / wind noise sound heard on Legacy models on the passenger side... (Different from the wind noise heard on Outback models)

I took mine to have the dealership look at it, and it was the first one that they had reported an issue with. The dealer called Subaru of America, and was told that they had several other people complain about a buzzing noise in the Legacy, and that they did not yet have a solution.

Keeping my fingers crossed for them to figure out what the noise is...

I have seen on other vehicles, not subaru, stickers where the side mirror meets the body or on the inside part of the mirror housing when the mirror is folded in. This can cause a buzzing noise as air rushes past the sticker. Not saying this is the case but have seen it on other manufacturer vehicles.

Update on the 2015 Outback wind noise issue, from the Outback forum:

... My wind noise only came from passenger side window so I taped the top corner of the wing window as picture, and it work. I drove on highway at 70mph and no wind noise anymore. It was quiet as sleeping baby. And further investigation I found the "key point" of the wind noise came from, the rubber liner around the wing window was not seal properly on top corner. On the pictures you can see the passenger side had large gap while the driver side was completely seal (or glue).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-5-2015-present/107018d1411624992-wind-noise-tape.jpg

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-5-2015-present/107026d1411624992-wind-noise-passenger-side-highlight.jpg

See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/173218-wind-noise-14.html#post2046762

It would be interesting to see if the "blue tape fix" is effective for any of the 2015 Legacys reporting wind noise or "buzzing."

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Update on the 2015 Outback wind noise issue, from the Outback forum:

See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/173218-wind-noise-14.html#post2046762

It would be interesting to see if the "blue tape" fix is effective for any of the 2015 Legacys reporting wind noise or "buzzing."

Spent a few hours on my mom's 15' Legacy last night, thinking that it was something else.... Tried taping the mirror, the windshield area, the chrome trip, etc... Turns out that the upper triangular area (as posted above) is the issue. The seal on my mom's car is much tighter than that, but somehow, it is still causing a buzzing / wind noise at 35 mph or above.

After putting painter's tape over that corner, the buzzing is gone - completely quiet car (as a new car should be). YAYY!!!

Called a few Subaru dealers today, and apparently Subaru has yet to even release a service manual for these to see how the window can be moved or adjusted, so black silicon sealer it is (for now anyways).

Thank you, ammcinnis for posting that update!!

Thank you, ammcinnis for posting that update!!

Thank the people on the Outback forum who actually did the experiments; I just posted their results. I'm glad to hear that the "blue tape fix" seems to work for 2015 Legacys as well. That should make it much easier for Subaru to develop a permanent fix.

... so black silicon sealer it is (for now anyways).
Just be sure you don't do anything that will impair a permanent fix by Subaru.

spacer.png

I took delivery of my 2015 3.6R yesterday and the first thing I noticed was the wind noise above 35 mph. So this morning I didn't mention to my wife and sent her out on her maiden voyage. She came back and the first thing she says " i love it, but, it makes this funny wind noise on the passenger side". So, I have my first item to be fixed !

• 2 weeks later...

This was in the Outback thread. Not sure if this was posted here yet. Not sure if TSB would only be for Outbacks.

I received an update from a friendly salesperson at a local dealership that Subaru is going to issue a TSB for this very soon:

Quote:

I have good news! We called Subaru’s tech line and they told us that a warranty bulletin will be released later this month. This warranty bulletin will address the noise issue. Hopefully, the warranty repair is quick. I’ll let you know if I hear any updates on the bulletin’s release date.

Archived