LegacyGT.com

5MT working thread

mwiener2

Does your 5MT still work?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Does your 5MT still work?

• Yes!
    • Yes, but after I fixed it.
    • No, so I sold/burned/donated to charity my car.
    • No and it's been sitting in my driveway for months.

:lol:

This stinks of desperation.

Mine failed just short of 45,000 miles. Input shaft bearing (I believe) and possibly 1st/2nd-gear synchros.

I don't understand the 3rd option, but since I sold off my transmission to another user who needed to replace their 5MT, I guess it's the most appropriate.

EDIT: Truth be told, I didn't sell the transmission, I gave it away.

Tits mcgee

one of the reasons i got rid of LGT car a year ago was that i knew, with my autocross participation, that id have at least 1 catastrophic drive-line failure every year. Even with just stage2+ mods, the 5mt can only take so much shock/abuse. this is after having my trans rebuilt 4 times, center diff replaced and rear diff repaired 3 times.

OMG, only a handful of broken ones

Heh... even with poll selections that don't make sense, I count over 30%... a far cry from what you posted in this thread:

This 5MT failure epidemic appears to affect less than 0.005% of all LGT's.

...but hey, it's just a forum, anyway. It's not really "evidence," amirite? :lol:

Tits mcgee

Yes, you are. There's evidence that it's not a weak transmission especially compared to the older Subaru 5MT. Just because some break, and they will, does not make it a weak transmission.

For every example of a broken one, I can cite an extraordinary example of one working under extreme conditions. So suck it up that your tranny broke and stop trying to scare the community into 6 speed swaps.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

So suck it up that your tranny broke and stop trying to scare the community into 6 speed swaps.

:lol:

You must have me confused with someone else. Please try to find a quote where I've suggested (scared, coerced, et cetera) to pre-emptively swap to a 6MT to avoid a 5MT failure. I'm pretty sure you're going to come up empty-handed. Yes, my 5MT broke... that's the point! I'm cool with it, and I hope you can be.

If I'm right, you started this poll because you were butthurt over this thread. All we did was ask for some evidence in support of your claim that 5MTs are as strong as 6MTs. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, these 5MTs fail at a rate that is undeniably higher than the 6MTs (if both that thread and your poll are any indication)... but that's hardly the point.

"5MTs are as strong as 6MTs." It could very well be true, but your only evidence is that your 5MT hasn't failed yet... which is far from compelling. If you could get past the defensiveness and realize that we're soliciting facts to support your argument, maybe we could get somewhere. If you choose to dismiss the accounts of 5MT owners whose transmissions haven't made it to the 60k milestone, that's on you.

This doesn't much matter to me, anyway. You keep your tranny & I'll keep mine. In the meantime, watching you impotently push this baseless opinion has been... meh... entertaining, ish? Just come up with some facts. It shouldn't be hard, if it's true. Inquiring minds want to know.

Tits mcgee

Not to derail this lovely poll, but whatever happened to BAC5.2?
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Not to derail this lovely poll, but whatever happened to BAC5.2?

I seem to recall he was in Europe for a while. I think Germany for the company he works for...I hope that wasn't a secret I just let out...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I seem to recall he was in Europe for a while. I think Germany for the company he works for...I hope that wasn't a secret I just let out...

Thanks MC

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 4 months later...

So far my 5MT has survived a season of road racing. However my R-160 did not. The R-180 is another very good reason to upgrade to a 6MT......

I'm wondering if having a trans cooler (like my RR car) makes a significant difference in the life of these 5MTs? From looking at my build sheets I see no indication the trans was changed by the previous race team after a full season of Grand-Am Cup and a half season of Tarzan Yamada time attacking it.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 3 months later...

Archived