LegacyGT.com

2.5i conversion question

How difficult do you guys think it would be to convert my 2.5i n/a into the 2.5 turbo gt. I wanna use stock parts, the car is my daily driver. I know some of you prob will say its not worth and to just buy a turbo kit. But I want to start small with it since i only have one car and cant afford to be with out a car for more then a day or 2 at a time. Any help would be great :-)

You are hoping for alot in 1-2 days! Not to say it cant be done this.way or that but to put a strict time line on it like that is asking for trouble, not usually good stuff to rush. I would imagine worst case scenario and fastest/easiest option would be complete motor, harness, & ecu from the xt. Out with the old in with the new.

i was thinking about that i looked on some salvaged cars (that were rear ended) some went for 1500 in the auctions around here and i can get more time off of work but was considering the full swap

I don't follow the turbo forums too closely. But aren't there some differences in the engines like forged pistons and such that could make your NA a time bomb under turbo stress? Not to mention the need for a new hood to allow the induction of enough air?

You are better off buying a GT. the NA has a really high compression (hence why the NA turbo kit is only designed for 7psi max) To do a full swap like that you are going to need to do A LOT of work to convert it beyond an engine swap. You'll have to swap out the drivetrain, transmission, ECU and braking system as well. You're better off taking the hit financially and upgrading.

I thought of doing this aswell. But all the money into it would pretty much equal to just buying a lgt with a blown turbo or so. But I like the way you think saving money on insurance. I'm currently looking for a lgt cuz they are less likely to be beaten on but nobody's selling any around me

I thought of doing this aswell. But all the money into it would pretty much equal to just buying a lgt with a blown turbo or so. But I like the way you think saving money on insurance. I'm currently looking for a lgt cuz they are less likely to be beaten on but nobody's selling any around me

I have a pristine 09 LGT for sale ;)

Conventional wisdom on this site says that you will spend more money and come up with a worse result than if you had just bought a GT. It is expensive, difficult, and generally comes up with a poorer result. It's not just a matter of slapping a turbo on and away you go.

Sell your 2.5i. Buy a GT. Done.

Welcome to LGT.com!

^ Lower compression ratio. List ain't so easy any more. ;)

Full motor swap might work out better though. However, that's probably more expensive than just upgrading to an LGT.

^ Lower compression ratio. List ain't so easy any more. ;)

Full motor swap might work out better though. However, that's probably more expensive than just upgrading to an LGT.

Why LCPs? Leave the block intact lower boost all the fun of N/A down low and F/I above 3500PRMs :)

i honestly didnt think about the pistons i though of everything else like the ecu and such but didnt think about pistons. great point

if you have the money to spare for a 2nd car, by all means do it. Probably would cost you just as much to do a full swap on your 2.5

Archived