LegacyGT.com

Clear Coat

Ok I just bought a 08 Legacy SE and I'm not sure if it's got clear coat or not. The reason why I'm asking is becuase I'm getting ready to get Zanio and there are 2 ver of Z-2. Is this an add-on or is it stantdard on all Legacy? If it's not, where can you get it applied other than the dealership??

And if it didn't have a clear coat then you would be screwed. It isn't like you can just take your car in and have them rub on another coat. Clear coat is nothing more than clear paint. The process of applying it would be both very expensive and time consuming at this stage. Unless your dealership has a paint booth in the back, then you would have had to go back to the factory or to an auto body shop to shell out the couple grand it would cost to prep and clear the car.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

All modern cars are clear coated at the factory.

Not to jack this thread, but I believe if you search this site you will find a debate on clear coat paints. There are a few single stage paint jobs still rolling off assembly lines. I think black on a Lexus is single stage.

I was surprised to learn this fact.

Back on topic, I got two spray bottles of some Nanowax, by Eagle One. This stuff is absolutely insane at how easy it is to use, how well it beads, and how it brought out the "pearl" in my paint. My neighbor was looking at my car and said the shine was incredible.

Not to jack this thread, but I believe if you search this site you will find a debate on clear coat paints. There are a few single stage paint jobs still rolling off assembly lines. I think black on a Lexus is single stage.

I was surprised to learn this fact.

Back on topic, I got two spray bottles of some Nanowax, by Eagle One. This stuff is absolutely insane at how easy it is to use, how well it beads, and how it brought out the "pearl" in my paint. My neighbor was looking at my car and said the shine was incredible.

Lexus black paint definitely has a clear coat, as does your legacy. While I too have heard that there is still cars sold (new) today without a clear layer, I do not know for certain of any. Even our Hyundai has a tougher clear coat than the Subaru.

Most paint jobs since the early 90's have the clear urethane paint added on top of the color coat, but I have heard that some manufactuers just add it to the color coat so that the clear coat isn't necessary. I can't confirm which cars or colors that is, but the fact remains that clear coated or not, the paint care is still the same. Both will need regular polishing and wax/sealant protection.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Lexus black paint definitely has a clear coat, as does your legacy. While I too have heard that there is still cars sold (new) today without a clear layer, I do not know for certain of any. Even our Hyundai has a tougher clear coat than the Subaru.

Actually Lexus Obsidian black is NOT clearcoat. They may have another black that is clear coat but their Obsidian black will turn your polishing pads black. It blew my mind when I found out. The reason for using single stage for their Obsidian black is that there is just something about single stage solid colors that just can't be replicated by clearcoat...yet ;) This is why some manufactures still use it for their solid blacks and reds.

Here is a thread on clublexus talking about Lexus black having no clearcoat, using single stage black is very popular with Lexus. The black looks so good when maintained that people actually think it has clearcoat but it doesn't.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42401

This thread is back in 02 but a guy on Autopia recently detailed an 08 LS and it had single stage black :eek: It looked damn good though! :)

Archived