LegacyGT.com

Finally - I can now install an aftermarket stereo!

LLBean

I successfully separated the electronic climate control from the radio in my 2005 L.L.Bean Outback. The radios actually still is attached to the car, but is tucked below where it normally sits, with the CD module removed and the control board is cut so the radio controls are turned in 90 degrees so the controls sit inside the dash above the remaining radio (the sides and back are cut down in half. No need to worry about the heat sink in the back being shorter since the radio is not longer used).

The radio and climate control board, once cut, is wired with 30 awg ribbon cable. It must be 30 awg in order to solder the wire in where the pass through points are on the board. (pics will follow)

There is enough room for a dual-din radio, which I plan on ordering tomorrow now that this mod is successful. The faceplate needs to be cut, fiber-glassed, sanded and painted next. I will include pics once complete.

I'm putting in a Clarion touch-screen DVD stereo/video with navigation. The unit has a usb port so I am also adding a 500 GB portable drive in the glove box so it can be removed to hold music and movies. Once the mod is complete, the sky is the limit.

I have done a lot of reading on the radio problem in the Legacy/Outbacks. This seemed the cheapest and best solution to the problem. It takes a bit of work, but well worth it.

Pics.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Congrats! There should be a hall of fame for the handful of you guys who have done this hack. While I have the skills (not to mention the fine-tipped soldering iron needed), I doubt I'd have the patience to do it.

I know this thread is not very helpful without pics. I will be sending out not only the pics, but the instructions with pics for those interested in trying this out. I will only recommend doing this if your have soldering experience as some of the connections are rather difficult, but certainly doable with some experience. I should have the documentation be mid-week next week. I am installing the new stereo next week, at which time I will assemble the documentation. I know many are interested in at least researching this as there is no easy or affordable solution for this that I could find.

-LLBean

lookslikeanevo,

The solution you mention is certain one way to go. I prefer not to purchase and modify the right-hand drive unit. I'd rather keep the left-hand drive system - and I would rather not pay the $300 for the right-hand drive unit. I spent $30 for 100 feet of 20-conductor 30 awg ribbon cable (still have over 95 feet left! 100' was the smallest spool they had)

My solution involves some work, but little money and allows you to keep the better-fit unit meant for the car.

To each his own, but I am very happy with this result. There was a sight I found that does this solution for a price ($950). They should never had described the solution, because they gave me the idea and even illustrated where to make the cuts.

I will post documentation soon with the instructions. This is not fer everyone to attempt though - you will need some soldering experience.

There have been a few threads here on LGT.com with pictures of the hack, too, so it's not like they were revealing anything that people didn't already know.

You'll still need to spend time on the custom fascia. Have you considered taking the Scosche dash kit (intended for manual A/C models) and hacking that?

No, actually my plan is quite simple. I am going to cut the opening in the existing fascia and fiber g;ass where needed. Then sand and paint the fascia, ash try plate and the shifter plate with the the same shade - my shifter plate has a few scratches anyway, and I would like to try a pewter color instead of the stock silver.

Project is almost complete - so the write up and pics will follow soon. Only one frustrating thing to overcome: The SWI-Jack I purchased to work with the steering wheel controls and the Clarion head unit does not function as promised. The volume up, mute, mode, and tune up buttons work... It looks like I need to modify the resistance int he switches for the SWI-Jack to determine which one is being pressed. I thought this unit had been tested on the '05 Subie.

Anyhow, the stereo sounds great (I purchased Infinity speakers - I am taking them back. The stock speakers put them to shame, believe it or not). The navigation unit works well - I ran the magnet-mount antenna all the way to the top of the tailgate.

Just need to fix the SWI-Jack settings and fiber-glass the fascia.

I have to warn people who are going to attempt this - on a difficulty scale from 1-10, this is a solid 9. I have experience in soldering and fine electronics (went to college for electrical engineering). I can tell you where to cut and what to solder, but the technique it totally up to you - you need to be able to solder in fine places without causing damage to the electrical components or causing solder-bridges that will result in short circuits. I even found myself cutting 2 board traces by mistake when I scored the PC board - fixed though.

In all - it was all worth it.

I saw this project first hand this weekend and I have to say.... Very.. nice.. job! But no, not all all for the faint of heart or anyone not VERY comfortable with tearing shit up and doing some meticulous soldering work. Very slick solution though and I'm not at all surprised you made it work. Can't wait to see it after you put on the finishing touches. Oh yea... Sounds incredible too!

Gmoe,

I can help you with yours - let me know when you are ready. You really need to find some good speakers - maybe we can swap front or rear speakers to see if you really have an issue with your stock ones. I cannot believe that the L.L.Bean wagon would have different speakers int he doors than the GT sedan. I still think you have abused equipment from the previous driver - this test will determine that before you go out and spend a lot on speakers only to find out they suck, like I did.

BTW: in exchange, you could polish up the wagon real nice?

Today is the final step of the process; glassing the fascia and painting. If everything goes well, I'll post a final pic. :)

The SWI-Jack I purchased to work with the steering wheel controls and the Clarion head unit does not function as promised. The volume up, mute, mode, and tune up buttons work... It looks like I need to modify the resistance int he switches for the SWI-Jack to determine which one is being pressed. I thought this unit had been tested on the '05 Subie.

You should not need to modify the buttons in your wheel (unless they're malfunctioning).

The SWI should work. It has several config options that will let it work with wheels that have different resistor networks. In the worst case, you may need to cut one of the SWI's loop wires and insert a resistor there.

I recommend first measuring your car's SWC resistances (at the wires that connect to the SWI module, with everything else temporarily disconnected). Then talk to PAC's tech support. They also have a nifty 'will-it-work' resistance calculator tool on their web site (drill down through the doc and vehicle-specific links).

Here are the pics. Project is 99% complete (steering wheel controls are the only things left)

http://picasaweb.google.com/108091072428300893885/20100503?authkey=Gv1sRgCOjcs6nYnP64Tw&feat=directlink

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7JRijY3nhZI/S99UzQZn_hI/AAAAAAAAABo/T5cxe2Bnjlo/s800/015.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7JRijY3nhZI/S99VFq3pr8I/AAAAAAAAADg/BbmkwT05xJo/s800/047.JPG

SVXdc,

Yeah, I saw that on their site. I will be trying that first before I do surgery on the wheel itself. There just has to be enough of a voltage difference to make the determination on which button is being pressed. I followed the instructions they gave me for a 2005 legacy, but they did not work properly. Next step is making the voltage and resistance readings from the wheel and see if there is something I can do with the loop wires on the SWI-Jack unit.

I will try to get some documentation together this weekend - not sure if I will finish it all by Monday, but as I promised, I will deliver a document with all the steps and instructions required to perform the same hack as I did.

Archived