LegacyGT.com

Setting up the timing

First and formost I am sorry if I refer to anything incorrectly. This is my best observation at the information my brothers left me.

My older brothers took apart a '90, EJ22 Legacy in order to replace the heads. The only thing really left in the hood is the pistons. But they messed up on the markers for the Camshaft. I am trying to figure out how to set the timing visual. I understand that at TDC Piston #1 it at the peak compression, so because the heads are already after I can simply rotate the Crankshaft until right before Piston #1 starts it decompression. So I am pretty sure the Crankshaft is at TDC, because I can visually see the piston. I am wonder what are the physical signs that the Camshaft(s) are also at TDC? To explain the situation alittle be futher the Rocket Arms are off, so I can visually see the lobes of the Camshaft. Where should they be so I can mark the Camshaft Sprocket correctly? Hopefully that clarifies what I am wondering, because I have yet to see anything talking about the visual placement of the Camshaft(s) lobes in relation to the Rocket Heads and Sprocket. Most of it seems to talk about preset timing.

Thank you for the time, I appreciate it. Sorry again if I refer to anything incorrectly.

• 3 weeks later...

belt timing marks are easy to see on all engines and most belts are marked as well. cams can be set with no marks however. just remember top of exhaust stroke is where valves are equally at 'overlap' with exhaust just closing and intake just opening. opposite situation is at top of compression stroke and harder to 'see' but you can set the cam at overlap and then rotate it exactly 180 degrees.

tom

Thank you Tom. Because I really couldn't find a definite answer, or atleast convinced my dad it was correct, he decided it might be best just to spend the hundred or two for the people at the Mechanic shop to do the timing, rather than guess wrong and blow a rod.

Archived