LegacyGT.com

Royal purp worth it?

In my opinion, absolutely not. Every used oil analysis I've seen for royal purple has been mediocre at best. If you're gonna spend that much on oil, I'd highly suggest Red Line or Amsoil instead. Whether or not the high priced synthetics are worth it is a whole different discussion.

my motor burned the royal 5w30 quickly, switched back to regular generic oil and no more burning, now I run Rotella T6 5w40 with no burning. cant beat 23.99 a jug. My last car 98 Grand Prix GTP loved the purple never burned a drop.

I've been an Amsoil dealer and mechanical engineer for thirty years and I can tell you that Royal Purple is a reputable company. Their industrial lubricants - particularly their compressor oils and gear lubricants - are highly regarded. It's certainly possibly to get good results with their engine oils in Subaru turbos if you choose the correct oil for this application. The 10w-40/HPS I cited above should work very well, given its physical and chemical properties.

TS

• Mega Users
I've been an Amsoil dealer and mechanical engineer for thirty years and I can tell you that Royal Purple is a reputable company. Their industrial lubricants - particularly their compressor oils and gear lubricants - are highly regarded. It's certainly possibly to get good results with their engine oils in Subaru turbos if you choose the correct oil for this application. The 10w-40/HPS I cited above should work very well, given its physical and chemical properties.

TS

I have heard the same about their oils and gear lubricants. And while there most likely a good oil made by them that can be used in our applications, there are much better alternatives like Amsoil, or much cheaper ones like Rotella. There is no need to dabble with the purple haze for these Subarus.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Used to be available at Autozone. It was the German formulation supposedly of the 0w30 synthetic, had made in Germany on the bottle and was distinct from Syntec etc. Had very good test results. I ran it in my '03 OBS when it had over 150k miles and it worked great.

I was in Autozone a couple days ago, and the Royal Purple gear oil was something like $20 a quart... I was absolutely blown away that people pay that much for average gear oil when there are much better solutions half as expensive.

Readily available- I'd run Rotella T6, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Plat or Valvoline synth before using Royal Purple motor oil.

Archived