LegacyGT.com

Catastrophic Turbo Failure

Turbo decided to give up the ghost. The exhaust side was completed sheared off and bouncing around. The intake side was in perfect shape.

I found quite a bit of metal in the downpipe.

I found one piece in the intercooler.

and none in the up-pipe.

The oil inlet under the turbo was not in good shape.

The oil did not appear to have metal chunks in it. I will inspect everything just to make sure. I will flush it as well. What are the odds it found its way into the motor?

Nearly 100%. We see it time and time again.

At a minimum I would recommend changing the oil once or twice (even better if you can fill via a priming tank at the oil pressure switch port) and then pulling the oil pan, replacing the oil cooler assembly and oil filter, and pulling the banjo bolt filters that feed the turbo and AVCS and cleaning them or replacing them. I would not remove the banjo bolt filters since you may still have some foreign material in the oil, and it's better it gets caught in the filters rather than the new turbo or intake cam sprockets.

Mac - the bearing was disintegrating long before the catastrophic failure. He has bearing material in his oil guaranteed. OP, if you can cut open your old oil filter (with a proper tool) you can see just how much and make an educated call from there.

^ what he said, better safe then sorry. Also replace that oil return hose.

Where do you live ?

What turbo will you be installing ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I live in Montana. I will be replacing with a VF46. I thought of upgrading but it seems like it will already cost quite a bit. I am replacing the down pipe and up pipe while everything is taken apart.

How much is the oil cooler assembly? Should I pull the pan before installing the new turbo and check for material?

This is a nightmare. ugh.

I can provide it for $210+shipping (shipping is free on orders $299+).

It does suck, but there are plenty of people on here who have been through it and can provide advice. Basically everything you need can be found on this forum with the exception of a good set of tools and place to work.

Here is what I am replacing. I just dropped the pan last night. It had some metal chunks in it. I am hoping for the best. I removed the baffle and felt around inside the motor. Oil didn't look very metallic and I did not find any chucks hidden. The metal in the pan worries me the most.

Any information on cleaning out the intercooler. And should I try blowing out some of the lines with a air compressor?

V46

Aftermarket down pipe and up pipe - I figure I would do it while everything was removed.

IPT Oil Line / AVCS / filter

New oil cooler.

Moroso Oil Pick up.

Magnetic Drain plug

Reading this forum gives me some hope.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/possible-blown-turbo-131354.html?t=131354

Here is a picture of the chunks

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/cnweis01/836fc782-59c6-4c25-8f9f-f69473d76396_zps676e707c.jpg

You may want to hold off on the UP and DP until you know for sure she isn't going to explode. I say that b/c you may need that money to rebuild the engine should killer turbo particles show up in the near future :(

• 4 weeks later...

Archived