LegacyGT.com

Any downpipe blanket for bellmouth downpipes?

Moddiction

I have a CNT catted bellmouth downpipe. I am looking for a downpipe blanket to cover it to reduce engine bay temps and eliminate heat soak. Already have a turbo blanket on and the stock heat shield over that.

It seems the Perrin downpipe blanket doesn't work with the larger bellmouth downpipes?

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Nope, just wrap it.

Mine is wrapped to just below the CV boot.

I use SS lockwire to hold it on. I think I have a picture of it in my thread from last year when I did the short block.

It in here some where,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

check post #62

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wrapped CNT here too.. I need to do something with the Turbo.. Blanket or heat shield I'm not sure, but it was well worth the cost to wrap/spray the Down pipe. You can touch it right after getting out of the car without burning yourself. It also helps with noise a bit.

I have the gold heat foil on my stock heat shield. I guess it does a ok job.

Never really cared to check.

In the over all...does it really help that much. These are not race cars.

Once the car is moving again after sitting in traffic the temps drop quickly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I guess I'll have to wrap it. Anyone do it with the header on the car still?

I put a turbo blanket on yesterday and then put the stock heat shield on over there. I gotta use the heat foil on the inside of the oem heat shield as well.

So far the AVO tmic seems to do a great job. Cold side of it felt like it has been in the refrigerator after doing some datalogging pulls.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

The truth is, dowpipe blankets are availlable. They are made by http://www.thermalzero.com

They don't picture them on their website, but if you search on Perrin's site you will see their higher price re-branded blanket. If you send an e-mail to Tbermal Zero, you will get a reply from the company's owner along with Combo pricing if desired.

For example: Turbo blanket and Downpipe blanket for $175 shipped to (if I remember correctly).

• 2 years later...

No need to remove the downpipe to install.

My older TZ and the Perrin have grommets to lace them up with wire. The newer TZ design uses Velcro-type fasteners. Either way, just put the blanket around the DP and secure. It will take you more time to get the car in the air.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Archived