LegacyGT.com

Speaker Under Seat

crunchymac187

It most likely is the optional Subaru sub. I don't think I've heard of anyone using those wires for another sub, but it's probably been attempted by someone. I'm not sure how much more bass you're looking for, but there are some adjustment knobs on the side of the sub facing the front of the car. You'll have to unbolt the bracket in the back and pull it out from under the seat to get to them. I bought my car with the sub in it and I wasn't all that impressed with it until I messed with the adjustments until I thought it sounded good. The whole stereo sounds much better now. Obviously it's no match for an aftermarket system, but I think it does pretty well for what it is.

I was cleaning my LGT when I noticed a speaker under the drivers seat. It looks like the subwoofer from the subaru catalog. Is it? If so, is there any way to use that wiring to connect a better sub to it?

Yes, it's possible to connect an after-market sub. The stock subwoofer's T-harness can be a convenient way to access the rear speaker wires. Many sub amps take speaker-level inputs, so they don't even need a separate Line Out Converter (LOC). But for anything besides the smallest ones, you'll probably want to run a new, beefier power wire.

A couple of people have used my subwoofer harness to plug into the T-harness and extend a cable back to a larger sub in the trunk. Then they could change back to the underseat sub when they needed the trunk space (or wanted to shed the large sub's weight).

What year is your LGT? (you should add that to your profile, so people don't keep asking you :)) On some 2005 and 2006 models, the left channel wires come from a 5th channel 65W subwoofer output on the stock HU. The input to that amp gets a mix of all four of the other speaker signals (pre-amped). The right channel wires always come from the HU's right rear speaker output.

Archived