LegacyGT.com

P0244 Wastegate Solenoid 'A' Range/Perf

On the way home from work this evening I encountered the frightening P0244 fuel cut situation while in 3rd or 4th under WOT. Christmas lights came on and I took it easy until I got home to check out the code.

I understand that the P0244 code can indicate turbo over-boost, and have found a number of hits revolving around 4th gen owners and/or the result of un-tuned mods (barely any hits for 5th gens). My mods are limited to Cobb Stage 1 OTS as well as removal of the rubber caps found on the hose that fits between the TMIC and the TB - something I've been struggling with since.

On that note - could the two of these be related? If this hose were to slide free of the TMIC momentarily, then would it possibly cause an over-boost problem?

I believe that this hose's white-dot indicator is in the right place but the hose appears to slide down the TMIC over time, no matter how hard I crank down the clamps over it onto the TMIC. I've removed, repositioned and reinstalled it a few times now this year. I'm thinking about replacing the rubber caps and/or finding some better T-clamps to take care of keeping the hose on tight. Will be looking at that more tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Try and get a log of when it happens or at least run your cobb as a boost guage.

I've gotten it with true over boost as well as my MAP throwing goofy signals to the ECU.

It is a hard one to diagnose without seeing what is going on or what your ECU is thinks is going on.

If you can get a log with a 3rd gear pull and you start the WOT pull around 2100 rpm our turbos have a tendency to over boost with the increased load being under geared. There are a few people here who can diagnose it for you. I recommend reaching out to 311logan dude is solid and has helped me a ton.

If he tuned AP I would definitely toss him business for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I attempted to reinstall one of the hose caps this afternoon but found it to be impossibly tight to assemble, so I reinstalled without it again, altering the rotation angle of the hose. It seemed to fit flush against the TMIC, unlike previous attempts. Made a few pulls in 3rd while monitoring boost and did not see a peak higher than 17.2psi. No CEL or fuel cuts. If I encounter it again I will datalog and provide for analysis. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Threw this code tonight.. was pulling WOT on a ramp in 4th and it fuel-cut, and lit up the christmas tree. P0244.

My scangauge automatically captured conditions at the time, which were 3450 RPM, 29.4 PSI MAP (ATM pressure here is about 13.6 psi - so thats only 15.8 PSI of boost )

I'm running COBB OTS Stg 1 93 Map, with 94 octane E-10 fuel. Never had any problems before, and my boost pressures are religiously in spec according to both my scangauge and my SPT boost gauge. I wasn't looking at my boost gauge when this happened.

Factory downpipe, Invidia CBE, AEM dryflow, Milk-jug-delete, Perrin IC coupler, SPT boost gauge MAP sensor Tee'd into the BPV actuator vacuum line. Those are my only relevant mods.

Thoughts?

I will reset it, check vacuum hoses, etc and and take it for another drive.

Hoses all look good. Coupler is intact (as expected), vacuum lines look fine and connected on both ends. Reset the code with my scangauge, then cycled the key on and off half a dozen times. Went for a drive, and it is running like a top. Boosting to 18 PSI, which is right on target of 17 psi at sea-level (13.6 PSI atmospheric pressure here.)

A second or third gear pull reaches full boost easily and tapers down smoothly to 11-12 PSI by redline at WOT. Ambient temperature is 18 degrees Celsius. So.. perfect.. right?

Weird.

Are you all running the stock bpv, Logan from Mcdowell (sp) tuning was mentioning issues with it in his thread about going stage 2. Personally I am running the cobb st1 93 map without a single stutter for over 6 months in hot and cool temps. My boost peak is around 16.96 psi. I also have the racerx charge pipe and turbosmart Kompact bpv.

Subscribed for info! If you find the issue/remedy please update!

I doubt that my BPV has much to do with it, as I was WOT at the time and a leaking BPV would have the opposite effect of bleeding off boost.

Either way, I've got a GFB Mach 2 BPV on the way...

I do pull up to 18 PSI VERY easily.. half throttle in any gear, so it probably wouldn't hurt to go to the low wastegate duty cycle map... I just don't want to if I don't have to.

Interestingly enough, with the 91 maps, I have much harder time achieving full boost, same 94 octane fuel. There is a very-very substantial difference between them in my observation.

• 1 year later...

Archived