LegacyGT.com

Unknown Electrical Connector near turbo

Hi,

Read the last paragraph if you don't want background.

I'm new to the LGT forum -- but not new to Subarus. I've had an 07 STI I've been upgrading and early last I decided it was time to no longer daily drive it. I picked up a used 2005 Legacy GT Limited. Its got 99k miles on it now and since I purchased it, I have noticed it consumes more oil than I would prefer. I also noticed I had a vacuum line disconnected so I set about fixing these problems earlier today. I've also got some planned upgrades on the way.

The car is not exactly stock. It has the stock air box with an upgraded turbo inlet pipe, a catless downpipe, and an 18G turbo. The turbo was replaced when the stock turbo blew up due to clogged filter in the oil line(previous to me owning it). It now does have upgraded oil lines for the turbo with the correct filter.

The vacuum line was pretty simple, I found that purge valve had one open end and it was the end that goes to the vapor canister (I think). It went to a metal line that came up on driver side head between the two fuel lines and ran towards the back of the car.

Since I noticed the car was burning more oil than I would like (1 qt every ~2000 miles) I decided to start looking for problems. After some looking around I took off the intercooler and found oil in the intake system. It looks as if hte PCV could be the culprit as there was more oil in the intake manifold than the in the intercooler and very little in the turbo housing. You can see some oil on the turbo housing in the picture below as well as the upgraded oil line.

I'm also planning on adding a EBCS, exhaust, and intake. (Yes I have my cars tuned by a professional after installation)

As I was replacing the PCV valve I discovered an electrical connection that is taped up with electrical tape and I can't find anything it should be connected to. See picture below for location. What is connector for? Where should it go?

photo.jpg.ef8c3fbe84d5ad71480c4233b267c5bd.jpg

Not sure, but just wanted to suggest to you that you shouldn't leave the top of your turbo open/exposed like that. Very easy for something to fall in there. Close it off with a rubber glove or something next time.

What color is the plug under the tape?

Update:

Ok after reading rps13de's reply I checked into it. Definitely stock up pipe, the wires have been cut right at the end of the metal channel they come out of on the up pipe. I found the connection where the up pipe EGT is supposed to be -- taped up with a 2.2k resistor in it. This explains why I don't have a CEL, I was worried there for a moment. :eek: Picture below of that plug with 2.2k resistor in it.

While looking at the up pipe... I discovered ANOTHER plug hidden away and taped up. This plug is basically right up against the top outside of the passenger side head in the back(top of cylinder 3). It has the following wire colors. Picture below of this plug. Any idea what this one is?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

White Red

Black Yellow

Black Blue Blue

You can see in the picture the new unknown connector with 3 wires in very center of picture. The black blob at the top of the picture is the coolant reservoir only seen on Subaru turbos. The other 2 pin connector I cant identify is in the top left of the picture.

361122619_photo(1).JPG.86e3c4442b91323500ddc6a5aeb6d7a9.JPG

1399840740_photo(2).JPG.fe330a7411024b68814ea64106e9583d.JPG

All questions answered! -- Thanks for all the help. I discovered my car has TGV deletes. I've learned quite a bit about LGT wiring with this experience.

For future searchers:

The two pin connector discussed in the original post is the check PCV connector. Not installed due to aftermarket turbo inlet. For reference, it does indeed have the 2 pin jumper in it.

The 3 pin connector near cylinder 3 that was discussed is the TGV connector. I found the other 3 TGV connectors when I went looking. For reference, on passenger side 3pin is in the back(near turbo), 2 pin is in the front(near radiator). On the driver side, 3 pin is in front (near radiator), 2 pin is in the back(above cylinder 4).

Archived