LegacyGT.com

2005 GT LTD - Clutch or Transmission Problem? Please Help

adkravets

Hi guys,

I scanned the forums - didn't find the answer to my problem, hopefully someone can offer some information.

Car Stats:

50,000 miles

2005 legacy gt ltd

stock everything, no mods

last oil change last friday

Problem:

I was driving home from Maine this weekend and started to notice that it was getting hard to put the car into different gears, while moving and while stopped. It is significantly harder to put it into first, while stopped 100%. It barely will go in, feels like I am forcing it. It occurs when I literally move the shifter into the gear slot. Engaging the clutch is perfectly fine. No harder or easier than normal, no slipping, etc.

The problem is coming and going, but very noticeable. I am starting in second now because it feels like I will break something by forcing it into first.

Any thoughts would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Alex

thanks for the two suggestions - will look into them.

Are those the types of problems that can appear suddenly? I would think that a lube/fluid problem would be a gradual change, not an immediate one.... but I know next to nothing about car engines/transmissions.

just got it checked out by a local shop - they said it needs a new clutch. Possibly a flywheel but they haven't looked at it and said its probably unlikely i'd need a flywheel.

They said there wasn't enough pressure on the plate to get it out/ in gear? Does that sound right?

What is an appropriate price on labor/ new clutch?

Thanks again

-Alex

$1000 or so.

Do not use OEM stuff. use a 06 WRX single mass flywheel and a good aftermarket clutch.

Check out Fred Beans site, a vendor here.

I have to run now...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What is an appropriate price on labor/ new clutch?

Thanks again

-Alex

At a independent Subaru mechanic he did mine for $400 labor and $450 parts. He was able to "clean up" the flywheel. Ours was a bit hard to shift/push clutch. He stated that the throw out bearing had completely seized causing our problems.

Archived