LegacyGT.com

launching question

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havent done any AWD launching yet, but from what I hear you should NOT just dump it at a certain rpm, that you should ease out of the clutch while launching AWD or you can mess up all kinds of stuff.

*Please note that I personally know none of that to be factual, Im only sharing what I have HEARD from others.*

Someone that knows for a fact please chime in, cause I would also like to know the proper way to launch an AWD car.

-Ben

Rev to about 5k

:eek::eek::eek: thats almost redline....ok no, youre gonna burn up your clutch real quick doing that. 3500 - 3800 is what i launched at. youre N/A you dont need to redline it to launch. you shouldnt launch any vehicle close to redline for that matter. your buddys' sti, he may have a sick launch at 5k but hes gonna be hurtin when his clutch goes out in 3 months. 3500 is a safe and good rpm to launch at as long as you know what your doing.

:eek::eek::eek: thats almost redline....ok no, youre gonna burn up your clutch real quick doing that. 3500 - 3800 is what i launched at. youre N/A you dont need to redline it to launch. you shouldnt launch any vehicle close to redline for that matter. your buddys' sti, he may have a sick launch at 5k but hes gonna be hurtin when his clutch goes out in 3 months. 3500 is a safe and good rpm to launch at as long as you know what your doing.

If you try 3500 Rev in an STI and can get it to spin the tires and hold then let me know. That's where we found the spot in order to do so. Maybe not 5k in our 6 grand redline legacys. He has also had the car Stage 2 with the stock clutch for about a year now.

why would you wanna spin the tires.....isnt the purpose of awd not to spin the tires. if your spinning the tires, it means that your not accelerating as fast as the car "could" and since this is a launching thread im assuming were talking about racing (legal of course) which in that case you would want to aviod spinning tires as much as possible. to your buddy with his stage 2 sti and stock clutch droping it at 5k is an idiot, sorry. so how bout you let me know when he blows his motor or his clutch is fried. oh and one more thing, if he is doin said awd "burnouts", then he doesnt really know much about cars, driving, or how a real clutch should feel, so his clutch is prolly already close to toast and he just doesnt know it yet. furthermore, why would he stage 2 an sti and not do the clutch right away. you should built a car to hold power FIRST, then make it have that power. but thats just me.

why would you wanna spin the tires.....isnt the purpose of awd not to spin the tires. if your spinning the tires, it means that your not accelerating as fast as the car "could" and since this is a launching thread im assuming were talking about racing (legal of course) which in that case you would want to aviod spinning tires as much as possible. to your buddy with his stage 2 sti and stock clutch droping it at 5k is an idiot, sorry. so how bout you let me know when he blows his motor or his clutch is fried. oh and one more thing, if he is doin said awd "burnouts", then he doesnt really know much about cars, driving, or how a real clutch should feel, so his clutch is prolly already close to toast and he just doesnt know it yet. furthermore, why would he stage 2 an sti and not do the clutch right away. you should built a car to hold power FIRST, then make it have that power. but thats just me.

Doesn't do it all the time. And it's all for fun when he does. And the stock clutch my understanding can hold the 310-325WHP he is putting down. He normally drives the car like a pussy. Trust me that clutch feels the exact same as it did when he bought it 10k miles ago. Stage 2'd it about a week after it got it. Shouldn't say burn out. I should say just squealing the tires. A few of us have driven his car clutch doesn't slip a bit. Sucks he doesn't know shit about cars that he bought an STI and did all the Stage 2 work him self. Some STI's hold out better then others. It's just the luck of the draw no?

And about the AWD comment our auto legacys got the short end of the stick and get stuck with bullshit AWD. I think many things can be questioned about what people do. I'm just saying how he has does it and the most effective way he has done it. Didn't go and advise to do it.

well sti's have 300hp stock, so a stage 2 sti is gonna pass the 325 mark. and yes some cars hold out better than others but droping the clutch at 5k in an awd car puts a lot of stress on a lot of parts. hes going to break something. its just a matter of time. if he doesnt know much about cars he shouldnt be doing the work himself, he should have a proffesional help him.... and by proffesional, i dont mean another kid that thinks if he can do his own brakes he thinks hes a mechanic. im not gonna lie, i know nothing about all the crap they put in these new car, but give me a car 80's on down and i can do just about anything but body work. ive been building cars with my gpa since i was about 4. but i do know a little about awd and i can tell you your buddy IS going to break something if he keeps driving his car like that. motor mounts, tranny mounts, gears, ect. tell him to cool it off, he has a stage 2 sti, he doesnt need to show off, the car speaks for itself. and if he stage 2'd it w/o a tune, you should recommend that to him.

It's got a street tune. Going in for a tune pretty soon. He doesn't do it a lot but has done it maybe 4-5 times in the year he has owned it. He really doesn't take the best care of his car. I know this. Women and getting in the way of cars. He has nothing for balls which I hate to say since I have known him for about 15 years now. So his money goes elsewhere instead of his fucked up front end. I hope he reads this.

maybe he needs a subie intervention. why would he not fix his front end. im sure someone on NASIOC is parting out an sti with front parts for cheap. well not cheap, but cheaper than buying new.

watch the women stuff, there a mod on here thats a woman and she has more subarus than anyone ive seen

That video sums it up! I would never launch an awd car like that. It's usually a trany or a drive shaft that goes first. Our legacies are not made for drag racing anyway. Nor is an sti. Some off road fun maybe if your car is ready for that and you have an outback or A wrx/sti. My gt will never see offroad or a launch. I like my car too much for that. Not saying it isn't fun though. I just don't want to break it or bend something that's really not fixable. On the other hand, I have an 11 second mustang I launch at 4k. That's different though!!

Archived