LegacyGT.com

Strange incident with the garage door

So I was leaving for work today, and the garage door wouldn't open. It's old, so I walked to the door and noticed one of the cables had broken and the pulley was hanging from it. No biggie, so I lifted the door, but couldn't get it to stay. I managed to get my neighbor to hold the door while I backed out. Everything was OK.

It was then I saw the shop vac on the floor, which usually hangs on the wall next to my car. I was thinking, Oh Crap! and ran to the passenger side. The side mirror had a large scuff on it and the door had small scratches all the way down. NOOOOOOOOO! :icon_mad: Somehow the cable hit the vacuum which hit my car, but I don't know how the vac got knocked off. You have to lift the shop vac up to remove it from it's little hook latch.

So anyways my friend from work took a look at it and said the door would mostly buff out, but there would be some small scratches left. I bought a new painted piece for the mirror for $66. It really sucks because I'm so careful with my car. At least it shouldn't cost a fortune to fix; I hope! Just wanted to share my crazy story in hopes that you all would keep hanging objects away from your cars! I'll take pics of it when I get a chance.

Sorry to here that, but it does happen from time to time. Sometimes with much more expensive results. Whenever you get the door fixed, have a cable run through the middle of the springs and attached ceiling or door frame at each end. That way, if a spring or cable breaks, the spring will be somewhat constrained and hopefully won't do any damage.

Yeah, had that happen last month, only I was in the garage when the spring snapped.

Holy shiznit.. that thing was loud. Door wouldn't open, the cables were about to go too.. not bad for a 26 year old house.

Cost me $270 for everything (canadian loonies) to repair.

Yea both vehicles were in our garage also....fortunately neither were damaged but the concrete wall had a few chunks taken out of them:(

those springs are no joke. I just had mine replaced and got some sort of safety cable to keep them in place if they go. thank god i wasn't in the garage when it happened.

We justs bought some new springs, but now I'm wondering if we need new cables too? The garage door is so heavy.

Dr. pepper, where did you get the safty cable? I was looking around at Lowe's, but didn't see anything, and the employees didn't know of course. What does it look like?

We justs bought some new springs, but now I'm wondering if we need new cables too? The garage door is so heavy.

Dr. pepper, where did you get the safty cable? I was looking around at Lowe's, but didn't see anything, and the employees didn't know of course. What does it look like?

I hope you are not going to try the install as a do-it-yourself.....that is one wrench turning I would not suggest to anyone:(:(:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I didn't buy it myself, we had a profesional garage door company come in and do the install, I didn't want to be around when they were torquing the new springs, and to be honest, I have no idea what the cable looks like, they told me they put it on, and I trust them.

maybe reapportion some of your mod money for home maintenance rather than waiting for stuff to break

Yea, I've been considering that. The fact is that this is my boyfriend's house, and he has lived there for 9 years. I moved in last December, and I have done more to that friggin house than he has done since he bought it. He knows very little about home maintenance, so I'm the one who's stuck with it. I'm learning myself, but my parents taught me how important it is to fix up something that can actually be an investment. Sure he helps me, but he has trouble affording the things we need to purchase. I have come to realize that I have to choose between an investment (house) and my hobby (car). I don't make enough to do both. I hope someday I will, otherwise what's the point?

Archived