LegacyGT.com

2.5i or LGT

violhence

Hello everyone,

So I bought a 2.5i about a year and a half ago. At the time I bought it I was debating between it and a LGT but I found that in my area there are hardly any LGTs available and they are rather expensive. I see that a lot of people on this website buy a 2.5i and then show up on the forum realizing afterwards that there are hardly any performance upgrades available. So I just thought I would make a post and say this:

Get yourself and LGT because there are really no big mods for 2.5i. If you can't afford the LGT but still want affordable power then switch away from Subaru to a Mazda 6 V6 (about 225 - 230hp). Don't buy a 2.5i and then whine because it is slow :). Just some advice

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 2.5i love it. I'll be switching it up to a spec or LGT once this car is close to it's end, but I still love my 2.5i it's a bitchen car, and I deff don't think it's slow, not fast, but not slow.

Get the LGT trust b/c when you buy the 2.5i youll have spent $20k on a car you only want to be the LGT. If I WERE you this is what I would do I would buy a used 08 LGT Avg $21K-$23 you get all the bang of new LGT minus the depreciation that the 1st owner incurrs. There is a guy on here with a used 08 Spec B with 40K miles on it for $24K !!!!! but seriously look around autotrader dealers etc find a late model low miles used LGT and do the math GL

2.5I I thin is the way to go it you just going to do suspension mods. this is coming from a guy who sold his STI that had all the goodies and tuned. Yes the 2.5i is not fast but it is something in the corners. Also i do not see a lot of people with 07-08 SPEC B or LGT's. I think the reason why is cause they cost a bit more. I got my 08 2.5i for 14 out the door with 26K miles. Like I said it is not fast but get me in some corners and I will be right there. Also i am the kinda person who likes to buy a car and pay it off, not pay on it and then trade it in a year or more later.

i'm selling my lgt for 20k. i went from a 2.5i, which i loved, to the lgt. performance difference was awesome, but now with my fam growing, i need to get a bigger ride.

i would def say go with an lgt if you want performance, or the ability to make meaningful upgrades.

I think that for the money the 2.5 is the most reasonable choice for anybody looking to go the camry accord route, Its a great looking car with phenominal AWD regardless of transmision. Sure owners may want more power but it is probably the greatest midsize sedan in terms of value as are most subies.

The Legacy 2.5i is quicker than my old Civic Si, but my modded Civic handled much better than my current LGT, even after suspension mods.

This is the one thing I miss since going to a much larger car... the "tossability". I had a lot more confidence pushing 9/10s in the twisties in my old Civic than in my current wagon.

Speed is fun, and intoxicating, but isn't the be all and end all to happy motoring.

Edit- kinda what you said in Post #6.

I love my 2.5i and of course it woulda been awesome to get a LGT. But at the time I got it there was an $8,000 price difference. Just couldn't do that.

There ARE mods for the 2.5i. It's how far do you want to take it? Most people that ride in my car would think it could keep with a WRX. I know thats completely not true. But they wouldn't ever know the difference. But under 3000 rpms, I feel like the 2.5i feels really good. It's in the mid-upper rpms that you want the extra power. But there are some upgrades that can help, especially if you have a MT. Suspension mods between the LGT and 2.5i are interchangeable. You can get a lightweight crankshaft pulley. Lightweight flywheel. Upgraded clutch. Short throw shifter. Header-back exhaust. A lot of the same mods that go on the LGT works on the 2.5i. You just gotta research a lot and know how to do it right.

Get the LGT trust b/c when you buy the 2.5i youll have spent $20k on a car you only want to be the LGT. If I WERE you this is what I would do I would buy a used 08 LGT Avg $21K-$23 you get all the bang of new LGT minus the depreciation that the 1st owner incurrs. There is a guy on here with a used 08 Spec B with 40K miles on it for $24K !!!!! but seriously look around autotrader dealers etc find a late model low miles used LGT and do the math GL

I noticed that you yourself drive a 2.5i...... does that mean you are jealous of LGT owners and regret choosing the 2.5i? :lol:

Honestly though I think this is a very personal decision, and isn't something that is going to be productive in a forum topic. Democrat or Republican? Grapes or raisins?

All we can really do here is list the pro's and cons of each. Here are some:

Naturally aspirated cars tend to have a longer engine lifetime than cars with a turbocharger, I believe. Having a turbocharger puts more wear into the engine due to higher compression.

To be obvious, 2.5i's cost a bit less than LGT's. Also, when I went to look for cars, I was looking for a used '05 LGT, which was very hard to find with manual transmission. And I was not going to cough up $6k more, pay more for premium gas, and pay more for insurance to get a LGT.

2.5i's ARE moddable, but of course the number of mods are much less than LGT's. I am looking into an intake and exhaust for my 2.5i as we speak. Suspension also remains the most meaningful mods for the 2.5i and will stay true into the future.

As for power, I don't feel like I am lacking, for my driving style. If I want to pass someone I just kick it down into 3rd, hit 5k rpms and I have enough acceleration to pass most cars.

If you don't need to hit the track or win races, the 2.5i is fine... it's nice for comfort, good value for the price, quiet, and pretty sleek looking IMO.

If you want to spend $25k on a car and then throw down another $5-6k in mods, then by all means, go with the LGT.

2.5I I thin is the way to go it you just going to do suspension mods. this is coming from a guy who sold his STI that had all the goodies and tuned. Yes the 2.5i is not fast but it is something in the corners. Also i do not see a lot of people with 07-08 SPEC B or LGT's. I think the reason why is cause they cost a bit more. I got my 08 2.5i for 14 out the door with 26K miles. Like I said it is not fast but get me in some corners and I will be right there. Also i am the kinda person who likes to buy a car and pay it off, not pay on it and then trade it in a year or more later.

A lot of people don't realize that the 2.5i and the LGT -- at least the recent ones -- have the same stock suspension, so if you don't need LGT speed, at least you get LGT handling.

I noticed that you yourself drive a 2.5i...... does that mean you are jealous of LGT owners and regret choosing the 2.5i? :lol:

Not jealous b/c new LGT owners have a massive payment and once the new generation of Legacies go on sell this summer I will trade my 2008 2.5i in for used 08 Legacy for around $18K The only thing I want my 2.5i to be able to have is the Rumble which i got for uner $500

Hello everyone,

So I bought a 2.5i about a year and a half ago. At the time I bought it I was debating between it and a LGT but I found that in my area there are hardly any LGTs available and they are rather expensive. I see that a lot of people on this website buy a 2.5i and then show up on the forum realizing afterwards that there are hardly any performance upgrades available. So I just thought I would make a post and say this:

Get yourself and LGT because there are really no big mods for 2.5i. If you can't afford the LGT but still want affordable power then switch to a Subaru 3.0R (about 245hp). Don't buy a 2.5i and then whine because it is slow :). Just some advice

Fixed.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The Legacy 2.5i is quicker than my old Civic Si, but my modded Civic handled much better than my current LGT, even after suspension mods.

This is the one thing I miss since going to a much larger car... the "tossability". I had a lot more confidence pushing 9/10s in the twisties in my old Civic than in my current wagon.

Speed is fun, and intoxicating, but isn't the be all and end all to happy motoring.

Edit- kinda what you said in Post #6.

Curious-- but doesn't the AWD inspire confidence while tossing the LGT around? I'd imagine it would-- even more so than a modded Civic.

Is is possible that a LGT with tasteful suspension mods would restore some of that confidence vs. the modded Civic?

^ i think that even with suspension modifications it may be difficult to overcome the curb weight difference between the two cars, civic si = .....2700 lbs? legacy gt wagon = 3300lbs? (IIRC, just off the top of my head)

while theoretically a modded legacy may be able to keep up with the modded civic in the twisties, i think that from a driver's perspective it may take more confidence to wring out that handling from the legacy due to the extra weight plus the fact that the legacy has a longer wheel base.

though i believe the LGT would have a significant power advantage over the si...

but back to the original topic:

the 2.5i can be a relatively fun car with suspension mods, limited power mods. but it makes enough to be ok for a DD, i never have trouble on the highway.

^just think our cars in every trim are lighter than the GT-R which only makes 485 HP if that helps anyone feel better. And i think my 2.5i is a fast lil black sexy girl ( my car is OBP) minus the bottom end when at cruise speed i dont know the difference in the two until you have pull to get in front or beat that yellow light LOL 3rd gear here i come

I do not care what you all say, I took my 2.5i in the twisties with a few STI's and one LGT and some WRX. i am stock and had no problem in the corners. the Rex's,STI and LGT were a lot faster but I think with the right sways, and springs and of course DRIVER MOD, the car will be hard compete with in the corners. I really do not think yo uneed a ton of speed, just good, tires, skillz, sways, and springs.

It really depends on what your looking for....For me I drive my car over an hour each way back and forth from work...I already have 36k on my 08 2.5 legacy....For me I wanted a dependable daily driver and didn't want the complications of a turbo engine (when I get into the high mile range). Don't get me wrong I would love to have purchased the GT but it just wasn't practical.....Just my .02

it really depends on what your looking for....for me i drive my car over an hour each way back and forth from work...i already have 36k on my 08 2.5 legacy....for me i wanted a dependable daily driver and didn't want the complications of a turbo engine (when i get into the high mile range). Don't get me wrong i would love to have purchased the gt but it just wasn't practical.....just my .02

+123

It really depends on what your looking for....For me I drive my car over an hour each way back and forth from work...I already have 36k on my 08 2.5 legacy....For me I wanted a dependable daily driver and didn't want the complications of a turbo engine (when I get into the high mile range). Don't get me wrong I would love to have purchased the GT but it just wasn't practical.....Just my .02

+456

Anyway the 2.5i still has enough power for me to pass most people I wanna pass anyway... and being in CT, I don't hit the track. So really no point to having a lot of power, other than being able to tell other people "Hey, i have a lot of power".

I actually don't care much for the turbo in the LGT, but here are 3 key reasons why I pick the GT vs. 2.5i: VTD, 5EAT, & LSD.

Whaaaaa? I don't understand...

VTD and LSD are both connected to the AWD system... and 5EAT, well, you can get 2.5i's in 5EAT, so that's not a reason by itself.

So you actually just have one reason for getting the LGT... the better AWD system.

Archived