LegacyGT.com

The Unofficial 05-06 LGT 2.2k .5w Resistor UP Pipe Install CEL FIX

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your sensor has fried due to the increase in heat from going stage 1. You should get that UpPipe outta there.

Thanks, I did understood that this fix was meant for those who have already removed the sensor after replacing UP, but my mechanic is saying just to replace the sensor with the resistor at this point... he know's I'm at stage 1. If it matters, the code only comes up after a period of driving at hwy speed, if I pull over and clear it (reset ECU), I can drive on and only after another say, 30-40 miles of highway driving will it come back on. Just driving around town at lower speeds, I never see it.

I guess I'm wondering if I am 'safe' to just let my mechanic pull the sensor and replace it with the resistor until I have all the parts ready to go stage 2?

Thanks again for the advice. I absolutely do trust my mechanic, was just looking up the code on here and came across this, thought I'd ask for a second opinion. Not looking for promises from you (or mechanic for that matter) on a used LGT ;)

I was planning to do suspension mods first (have a broken front endlink) but looks like I should prioritize stage 2, I'll look into the cheapest possible catted DP and catless UP I can get, maybe U can get it shipped out this week.

EDIT: Should I also flash back to stock map for the time being?

Edited by BrannigansLaw
added last part

I was planning to do suspension mods first (have a broken front endlink) but looks like I should prioritize stage 2, I'll look into the cheapest possible catted DP and catless UP I can get, maybe U can get it shipped out this week.

Used STi up pipes can be found in the classified's for less than $100 shipped.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After installing my STi UP I decided to go a little overboard on the resistor mod.

Stock UP with EGT

DSC01124.JPG

Cut off the connector leaving some wire to work with:

DSC01125.JPG

Get your 2.2k resistor ready

DSC01127.JPG

Strip the wires:

DSC01129.JPG

Solder and shrink tube the resistor:

DSC01130.JPG

Shrink tube over the resistor and test:

DSC01133.JPG

Reconnect the connector with resistor in place:

DSC01138.JPG

Thats an interesting idea but it ruins a saleable egt sensor and requires extra labor. Looks nice.

True, but I don't plan on selling the stock Up pipe or sensor and I could easily solder the connector back onto the sensor if I ever wanted to use it, which is highly unlikely. We don't have to worry about the "visual" part of smog up here like you do down in CA, so as long as there are no codes being thrown it'll pass.

With taking pics it took all of about 30 minutes to complete. I was going to look for the connector pigtail so I didn't have to cut the sensor, or someone who had a broken sensor and was willing to part with it for shipping cost, but i got impatient :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Hmmm - thought it just was to measure the Exhaust Gas Temps. Good to know.

It is to measure exhaust temps, that's how the ECU "knows" whether or not the cat is working. Too cold = bad cat, which is why you'd get a CEL if you gut your UP and leave the sensor in.