LegacyGT.com

Problem installing one of my snow tires... HELP!

pfoyle

Went to put on my winter tires today, Blizzaks on OEM 2010 LGT rims (plastidipped). The first 3 went on no problem... slid right onto the bolts/studs, put nuts on by hand, spun them most of the way on... tightened most of the way, then lowered the car for final torquing.

On the fourth one (driver's side rear), the wheel wouldn't slide onto the bolts properly... I eventually got it on enough to get the nuts started, but couldn't spin the nut on at all by hand, and even the wrench wasn't sufficient to toque the wheel down so that it was flush along the rotor (or whatever it should be flush with). Even lowered the car, raised it back up, retightened, lowered the car, drove forward/back a tiny bit to try and get it set right, then retightened again. After struggling/retightening for about 30 minutes, there is still a gap where it should be flush (See attached pics for wheel with gap, and one without)...

Can anyone help or give suggestions for what might be the problem... I don't think it's an operator error, since I did 3 no problem (and am reasonably experienced changing tires). Any easy solutions, or should I just suck it up and take it to a pro?

Thanks in advance for any help!

023.thumb.JPG.0c7f518e2d5d9de7b5ae3a5ac578f689.JPG

024.thumb.JPG.cddf7e051881e3b45ff3104edf6c595a.JPG

Are these your original GT wheels or did you get them from someone for your winter setup?

Also, it looks like something might be interferring with the hub centric area of either the wheel or hub. Check for debris and/or a bend or mushrooming of the wheel in the very center.

Do you own another set of wheels that uses hub centering rings? Maybe there's one stuck to the hub?

YES! Thanks SO much... this is absolutely the problem... Just looked at the wheels I took off, and one of them is definitely missing part of the center ring (pics attached). Now the question is, how much damage did I do by being stubborn and wrenching the crap out of my tire trying to get it flush... :rolleyes: Guess I'll find out tomorrow...

Any further suggestions for fixing this problem? Can I just super glue the ring back onto the rim it came from (assuming I can get it off the hub)?

Thanks again for your help! Also, GT, these are my OEM rims, just came off the car in the Spring... the Enkei's (that left behind part of the ring) came from a forum member, but I certainly can't blame him for this!

angle1.thumb.JPG.fa4e25cbf2f3dde7dac063d916d650a1.JPG

angle2.thumb.JPG.f5cb3a10e32c07597b8e2f33fb2be031.JPG

straight1.thumb.JPG.541f4140a957179b17e537ce7c88a4ad.JPG

straight2.thumb.JPG.46c85f58db406c61772f448e44274667.JPG

Thanks again for the help! Took the wheel off today, pried the extra ring off (which I had sorta crushed with my wrenching) and the wheel went back on clean and easy! This forum is the best, because of quick and knowledgeable members! Thanks!

Mods can close/delete/lock this thread... problem has been fixed.

Glad you sorted the problem - and actually noticed prior to driving.

I was once the fool, but didn't realize - and got told by a friend following me.

Anyways, the ring might be able to be re-used - though you may have trimmed it down enough that you might want to purchase new rings next season.

Pictures of my rides;

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr old whip[/url]

Current Wagon

Glad things worked out. I'd buy a new ring if it got mangled so badly that it won't fit smoothly into the Enkeis anymore.

BTW, they're supposed to be removable from the wheel. If they were stuck to the wheel, I'd be concerned about corrosion or something similar causing them to get stuck.

Archived