LegacyGT.com

Twisty's Dumb Questions (aka Smokey's progress thread)

so, i always have dumb questions to ask, and lately they are all about my subaru i recently bought. im no stranger to tools, i grew up tearing apart cars for fun and profit. in my past, iverebuilt a 70 maverick, 74 nova, 73 coronet, 80 datsun 210, many different 260 and 280Zs, all kinds of impalas and other chevys, a 79 step-side 4X4, 80 cadillac, celicas, and more recently a 98 civic hatchback and this new (to me) legacy. i love working on cars, i hang out at my best friends shop and work on his customers cars just about every weekend. he gets free labor and i get to play with peoples cars.

so, heres a short list of things ive done, want to to and have questions about.

finally bought wheels and tires.

did the MSD coil mod.

ground kit

"sport" mode

springs/ struts for stiffer ride and lower stance.

11.4" brake upgrade

passenger window regulator fix

thats about all i can think of so far. now, for a dumb question. i found a 97 impreza wagon (im assuming base model, it has drum brakes on the rear end) that has front end damage, but the engine is pretty much complete. besides the oil cap, the only missing part i saw was the coil/ wires that i took off of it. what i cant figure out is what engine that sucker has, i dont know how to tell the difference yet. there were a few options for that year, but how do you tell which one it is? i cant seem to find the block mark that tells me anything. even on my engine (ej22) the block marak is partially covered by accessories, makes me angry. also, as far as i can tell, the window regulators are the same. the impreza is a 5MT, would it swap right over to my 4AET if i were so inclined?

also, someone had asked me for a pic of the MSD coil so here it is.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1594/20120516131359215.jpg

ill likely use this thread to ask a bunch of dumb questions as i try to learn more about the boxer and legacy, as well as post pics of my escapades and upgrades. if this annoys you, dont bitch at me, i have an overactive mind and not enough outlets for it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh ya! forgot my most annoying issue i have so far. well, really its a tie between this and the oil leak, but whatever...

about 2 weeks after i got the car, it popped up with a CeL 301 and 302. i checked the plugs, wires and coil, all were bad. the cables were way over spec for resistance, as was the coil. replaced them all, and did the MSD upgrade at the same time. the car runs smoov as buttah, but it still pops the codes when i get up over 65 and start to cruise. i cant explain it or figure out what the next step should be. i dont even get a stutter when the codes start blinking, the thing runs better than my moms new SUV. any ideas for where i should look next?

in reading other posts i found a reference to raceland coils for our cars. if the coil overs were for a 04 STi will they still bolt on without any modifications to the original set up?

reason i ask is they have a set of coilovers for under 500 bucks

http://www.racelandus.com/subaru-impreza-gd-coilover-kit.html

^^^im almost sure they will. Verify with Furman (Brok). He had Coils on his BD that was built....

the 5mt would work. and it would have a hydraulic clutch being a 97. also, the mark should be on the engine looking straight down at the top on the front of the engine. guarantee its an ej22. easy way to tell otherwise is if it is sohc, more than likely its a 22. 99 percent sure you'ld be able to tell if the engine had been swapped for something else and base model impreza's in 97 were only offered w/ 22's.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Twisty when u did the MSd ignition did u have to do any other mods or buy any other parts to make it fit or was it just a simple swap?

just the wiring whip, the top two bolts line up but the bottom ones dont. you could make an adapter plate if you worry about the thing moving around, but so far it hasnt loosened up at all with just 2 bolts holding it on. other than that, no other changes.

• 2 weeks later...

so the grounding kit made a substantial gain to the ground connection ohm-wise, but there has been no real gain in the real world. the idle is still a bit rough when the AC is on (and the cooling fans kick in) and there has been no noticeable change in how it runs or drives so far. this mod didnt cost me a thing, i got the cable and ends free from my friends shop, the time doing it was negligible, since i was teaching my son about wiring while doing it anyway.

i keep seeing people talking about their halos on their projector headlights. i havent been able to locate a single pair of halo projector headlights for my 95 legacy, are my google-fu skills just sucking for this?

• I Donated
i keep seeing people talking about their halos on their projector headlights. i havent been able to locate a single pair of halo projector headlights for my 95 legacy, are my google-fu skills just sucking for this?

No.

There isn't any direct fit for our cars. People either custom make something or use something for another car and make it fit.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

in reading other posts i found a reference to raceland coils for our cars. if the coil overs were for a 04 STi will they still bolt on without any modifications to the original set up?

reason i ask is they have a set of coilovers for under 500 bucks

http://www.racelandus.com/subaru-impreza-gd-coilover-kit.html

i was all ready to order these to install before my big trip in a few weeks. then i saw

***Please note: this coilover kit is currently out of stock and on backorder. Place an order now to guarantee a spot on the next batch completed. The expected shipping time for this kit is around the third week of June. Please feel free to call us if you have further questions, 801-365-1400.***

and was bummed, since i need to get the suspension replaced before i leave on the 25th.

• I Donated

The difference is spring rates and the way the brake line clips to them.

Therefor, they are not 100% compatible...but you can change over to WRX brake lines....or just do what most do and zip tie them.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

You probably read where I said that in the suspension FAQ lol.

Trust me, they will bolt right up. Anything 02-07 coilover / strut wise will bolt right up.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
Hey, at least I was reading it, regardless of whether or not I remembered.. more than you can say about some of the >10 posters.

Yes!

You deserve a cookie.....

but....

http://www.agent-x.com.au/wp-content/webcomic/comic/Looking_for_internet_cookies-2423e9a.jpg

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

You probably read where I said that in the suspension FAQ lol.

Trust me, they will bolt right up. Anything 02-07 coilover / strut wise will bolt right up.

are the stock 02-07 struts/ springs actually shorter than the 2nd gen legacy struts/ springs? if i dont go with the coilovers, id still like to get a bit lower. i feel like i have already asked this question, but for the life of me i cant find it or remember the answer...