LegacyGT.com

Blown Engine - Where to get a Replacement?

GoBlue96

I'm not going to get into the details of my blown engine other than to say that it's almost identical to several other threads I've read on here. A lawyer has been contacted and we're considering our options. :mad:

One of the possibilities is to replace my engine. I'll need a block and heads (or at least a crank and heads - the block may be reusable). The dealer said it'd run about $8k including the turbo that's already been replaced, but he suggested I look for used parts. Has anybody had good luck finding a replacement EJ255? This car is a lease and it's up in 6 months so I'm not interested in building anything special. Just the cheapest way to get that car back into acceptable condition so I can turn it in. It's a shame because I really liked this car up until the engine blew, but now I just want to get rid of it. It's an 05 LGT.

Check junkyards or nasioc.com's ads. The WRX (06+), STI, FXT, OBXT the have same engine.

But why it's not repaired under warranty? Why did they refuse to cover it?

I'm surprised the heads need to be repaired.

Brand new short blocks from the local dealer here are $1750 here (MSRP is actually $1950). Add another $1000 to install. I think some people were quoted $2800 to $3000 for short block installed and everything.

Don't know how it comes up to $8000.

Ummmm...it just cost me $359 in (dealer) labor to replace a timing belt tensioner and have the oil pump resealed (oil leak) on an '02 NA. I want to know where you're gonna get a short block installed for $1000 of labor. Since it is a lease, I imagine the dealer is gonna want a hand in who / how things are fixed.
It is still ugly.

Dealer does not care about leases, the bank/leasing company does.

Conditions of who repairs how should be in the lease agreement.

<--- Never leased and never will.

Ummmm...it just cost me $359 in (dealer) labor to replace a timing belt tensioner and have the oil pump resealed (oil leak) on an '02 NA. I want to know where you're gonna get a short block installed for $1000 of labor. Since it is a lease, I imagine the dealer is gonna want a hand in who / how things are fixed.

Two people who blew their engines got quotes. One actually had the short block swapped out for under $3000 installed and another was quoted $2800 but he wants to rebuild the engine himself.

These are numbers that other forum members have already posted.

BTW, IIRC, replacing a timing belt tensioner is the same amount of labor as replacing the timing belt.

Archived