LegacyGT.com

buy extended warranty or not

It seems the Subaru gold plus extended warranty can only be added when the car is less than 3/36k. My two-year old car currently has 30k miles and it will reach 36k in the next couple of months. I am using Geico as the insurance provider and I am currently paying $30 a year for their Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. With that said, if I plan to switch car in the next 2-3 years, is it still worth to get the Subaru warranty?

I know the answer is probably highly subjective so while I am putting the flame suit on :p I want to see what you guys think.

Not sure if this helps your decision, but my 2010 has 86k miles on it and I haven't had a single problem. I just do my regular scheduled maintenance and it's problem free. If you take care of your car, it'll take care of you.

Im at 35200 on my car, I probably have till next monday to decide if I want to get the extended warranty too ... ugh

Its $890 and paid in 10 installments of $89 for 6/80k

I drive 120miles to and from work so itll get to that really fast

I am Agreeing with jesusv, you take care of your ride it takes care of you.

...But I won't own a car without a warranty if it can make reasonable financial sense. Yup, they are reliable, but they are darn expensive to fix.

And yup, I work at a dealer! Yup we sell Subarus. Yes I can get some work done at cost and yep if it breaks it's still cheaper to cash up a warranty. And Yup I have one on mine regardless of my intent to "enhance" it.

I couldn't remotely tell you what your Geico $30 per year gets you but it really couldn't be all too much for $30. The Subaru coverage is truly about the best available, and I have dealt with many.

If you have 30k mi in 2 yrs, (15k/yr), Subaru had a pretty nicely priced one at 6yr/80k mi if I remember correctly. It also makes little $ sense to upgrade deductibles. I don't know about NY, but in PA, these things are negotiable on price. Call around and get some quotes and I bet you can get a nice deal.

Good luck and I hope you don't need any extra coverage wether you get any or not!

I have it on my car, but that's because I ended up getting it for free. I ordered my car and it took over 6 months (I have the 6yr/80k on the vehicle).

The only thing I really needed it for was to replace the stock subwoofer, but that was within 36k. I also thought it may be worthwhile with people who have NAV. Otherwise, I would say don't worry about it.

piece of mind....My 3 year lease is up in December and I plan on buying it out. I have 16,300 miles and (knock on wood) no problems. I'm still gonna get the extended warranty. You never know.

Sounds like you won't be in for the LWCP, huh?

I too am wondering whether to get SAS. Although my '11 only has 14k on it I think my 3 years is up in December.

On my prior '02 wrx I had the 6/100k gold SAS. I bought the plan right before my 3/36 expired because I was experiencing many first model year "teething" issues with the car. Ultimately it paid for a new clock, transmission rebuild, and front wheel bearings so I got more than my money's worth out of it. It expired at the 6 year point when I only had about 92k on the car. The only repair I had between then and 100k was a new serpentine belt tensioner.

When I was on the TDIClub, I a lot of guys mentioned using the Geico policy and the consensus seemed to be it's good.

I'm at 32k and it's going in for it's second window motor, noticed when washing it the driverside mirror is loose. You know the detent when you fold the mirror in and out, well ours can now move just enough that on the highway the mirror is moving.

It's a tuff call.

I got the 100k mile one. I'm at 58k and started having a weird issue. I'm sure it will pop up after 60k so I'm glad I got it even if the car acts perfect from now till it ends. With a 1st year new model like the 2010 it's piece of mind

• 2 weeks later...
I got the 100k mile one. I'm at 58k and started having a weird issue. I'm sure it will pop up after 60k so I'm glad I got it even if the car acts perfect from now till it ends. With a 1st year new model like the 2010 it's piece of mind

they didn't give me the 100k option; went with the 80K/6yr warranty from SOA just before it rolled over the 36k mark

i purchased the 100k with my car, purchased used with 55k miles on it. Looks like it will be worth it as my starter is beginning to hang and occasionally has trouble getting the car started. going to have the starter replaced under warranty in a week or two

Anyone know if it matters where you buy the warranty from? Bought the car new in pa but driven, serviced and registered in ny. I am thinking the pa dealer is cheaper as they sell the cars cheaper but do I need to buy it in person?

Im at 35200 on my car, I probably have till next monday to decide if I want to get the extended warranty too ... ugh

Its $890 and paid in 10 installments of $89 for 6/80k

I drive 120miles to and from work so itll get to that really fast

I wouldn't bother, unless you hear something messed up in your engine or trans.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought gold warranty with my 2008 Legacy iLimited. I got 3 yr/90,000 and it paid for itself. So far, they replaced spark plug cable. coil, o2 sensor, and gasket. I also had problem with my catalytic convertor at 81,000 miles but was only covered upto 80,000 miles and they still fixed it for me under the warranty. Another issue I had was with my seat belt sensor which they said it was not covered under the warranty. So I called SOA and got them to cover it.

My '12 LGT and '10 Impreza both came with it and I'm glad. I'd have paid more to get it if they hadn't thrown it in (and yes, I know I paid for it either way). It's peace of mind.

• 5 years later...
SAS Gold Plus! I picked up my 2018 Legacy back in July. I was offered SAS Gold Plus during the paper work. I declined but after the fact decided to purchase one. I could not get the finance manager back on the phone so I searched online. I found Luke from Subaru Stamford. He sold me a 8 year/120k mile $0 deductible for $1920! It was so easy to purchase even though I live in NY. Call Luke to get a quote on which ever one works best for you. 203-252-2222

Archived