LegacyGT.com

help needed! VF52 or 18g-xt?

06specb366

Those two turbos are quite a bit different when it comes to lag,performance, supporting mods etc. There is a great sticky at the top of the powertrain forum about turbo options written by fahr side, you should check it out.

Hope this helps

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

No fricken way another spec b owner!!!!!!!

I bought mine in july and replaced the turbo with a vf52. Love it !

Im running 20psi 320whp

Here is my build thread. Where in mass are you?

Im sure youve heard, but I know the best mechanic and best tuner you should go to.

Motive Auto Works in Woburn (i drive 50 min because he specializes in aftermarket parts)

Brentuning in Worcester. This guy is simply amazing when it comes to tunes. He made 280whp on my friends stock vf40 turbo on just a dp+up !

I would run, as fast as you can from any VF (IHI) series turbos. The reliability sucks. MHI is the way to go.

What are you smoking? Just because the VF40 had an oil supply problem it did not make them unreliable... If anything look at all the OMFG my 16-18-20g blew up threads... The VF52 is a very reliable turbo along with any VF series turbo that is well taken care of. Also it comes with a better warranty.

Any turbo can be reliable as long as it is maintained properly.

You might not know that there have been a few suprising vf52 failures in nearly new turbos that Infamous has experienced. Not saying its common, not saying its gonna happen to me or you, just sayin' nothing is perfect. I have an oem vf40 in my wifes OBXT and see NO reason to remove it. The car is immaculate and has had every maintenance done. At 50k miles the OEM oil pickup was replaced with a KillerB and the Infamous turbo oil line kit went in (with oem size orifice not to over oil vf40) so that I can very easily filter and check the filter. The car is stage 1 and doesnt see boost in the high teens. I expect to get well over 100k out of the turbo.

Here is my build thread.

Your build thread, link it you did not.:)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spc2125-help-thread-188927.html

My build thread. What not to do to your bank account.;)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lalgt-rebuild-thread-152682.html

thanks for the help, i like the idea of the VF simply because it is a factory issued turbo and if taken care of should last. Just cant help listening to the little red guy on my shoulder looking for bigger dyno numbers! got alot to think about, ill keep ya posted.

DD then vf52, Pulls hard in 1st and 2nd(tq steer again, no suspension/alignment issue)

Just a lot of power

You want power quick and fast or slow and hard?

All turbos have issues/failures not one doesn't or is less to fail

vf52 if you want a DD turbo without upgrading to a non lgt style tmic. Eitherwise get a hta68 and a pw tmic or a fmic. From what I have seen it spools just like stock but does not fall off up top. Good for 300+ on pump gas and I believe 350+ on e85 if you're able to get that around you.

Let me refrase....vf52 if you don't want to end up getting a whole bunch of stuff (injectors, IC, pump, and whatever else you want). hta68 or something alike if you want to go big or go home

I have a vf52 on stock injectors, pump, tmic and make around 270ish. Next spring I am looking to go injectors, pump, IC and e85. Looking for 350ish to the wheels but still be able to flash back to pump map if I am traveling to get better mpg

Vf52 is prob best for DD. It can get u into trouble quickly though. I learned that the hard way just five days after i upgraded to the vf52 and got tuned. :p

Vf52 is a good choice but "best" is probably not accurate. It certainly is a good choice if you pick one up lightly used and would certainly be hard to beat dollar for dollar. "BEST" and vf turbo are mutually exclusive terms.

...get a hta68 and a pw tmic or a fmic. From what I have seen it spools just like stock but does not fall off up top. Good for 300+ on pump gas.

HTA68 have shown to be somewhat disappointing on pump gas. If upgrading fueling 20g, 20g, 20g.

Let me refrase....vf52 if you don't want to end up getting a whole bunch of stuff (injectors, IC, pump, and whatever else you want).

Of a BnR16g, or a 39/43/48 with a PW or, or... Any stage 3 is going to need an upgraded intercooler.:redface:

hta68 or something alike if you want to go big or go home

A 68 is not really "going big" anymore. You are going to love ethanol. Its a LOT of fun with your size turbo. Straight up STREET THUGGERY.:lol:

All the BNR turbos are lgt fitment. Brian sells a 16g, 18g, 2 20g's, and an hta68. Hta 68 is not a very good turbo for pump gas, more of an e85 turbo since it likes to run hot. Brians turbo are also quite a bit cheaper then a new vf52 and come with a warranty. I believe he sells the 18g for around $775

wow! more options!lol!I saw someone posting the 18g used for $675+ ship. If thats what they r new, ill go that road! How r they for lag/ streetability? what kind of power with 740 injectors and fuel pump? also i have a FMS FMIC and turboback invidia q300. Thanks

18g should be right at 300 +/- at 6000rpm

vf52 280 +/- at 5700rpm

If you want a quick spool and hardly go past 4.5-5k because that's about where an 18 or 20g will come alive and outrun a vf52 but below that a vf52 is ahead.

1 block race or up to 50mph a vf52 wins(Don't street race) just an example

Depends on how you drive really

I want big numbers too but not up top and little-no power down low, that's why I went vf52

Power down low and power til 5700rpm(close enough to 6k)

1 block race or up to 50mph a vf52 wins(Don't street race) just an example

No. A block long enough to hit 50-60mph is longer than a football field. Got to almost run 2 gears out to get 50. Run it to 60 and the 18g will already have made the move. Put the two cars next to each other from a roll ~1000rpms and the vf52 will win. From a stop my CXR550 will DESTROY a vf52 to 50 and the spool difference is way way more dramatic.

What kind of dyno did you do a run on? I am just wonder as every dyno reads differently.

I personally havent dyno'd yet because my center diff is messed up. I am dyno-ing once I get it fixed. But I have a street tune that is used for 315-320whp.

What are you smoking? Just because the VF40 had an oil supply problem it did not make them unreliable... If anything look at all the OMFG my 16-18-20g blew up threads... The VF52 is a very reliable turbo along with any VF series turbo that is well taken care of. Also it comes with a better warranty.

Any turbo can be reliable as long as it is maintained properly.

I smoke Marlboro's. :)

I have replaced a lot of turbos on these cars, IHI units SUCK. I have seen brand new ones fail, and if you put a VF52 in a VF40-46 car Subaru will not warranty them. I'd rather wipe my ass with an IHI turbo, just my 2 cents. Consider I have never seen an MHI turbo launch, except for one. I've been doing this for 25 years. So to each his own, if you want a super durable, reliable turbo stick with a genuine Mitsubishi turbo.

if you put a VF52 in a VF40-46 car Subaru will not warranty them.

Correct.

OP, you could split the difference and get a BNR 16G. Very similar spool to the VF-52, but holds a bit more boost to redline so there's less of that turbodiesel type feel the IHI turbos typically leave you with. Also, Bryan is a model vendor when it comes to support and service after the sale.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived