LegacyGT.com

Anyone using Epic springs with Bilsteins HDs

JohnSoPA

I've got Bilstein HDs with Spec B top hats (both from Fred Bean Parts). Is anyone using Epic springs with these struts? Wanted to see how the combo worked together (ride and handling-wise) as well as whether there are any issues with drop, especially up front.

• 4 months later...

I’ve got this set up also, but with Eibach springs and Bilstein HDs. The Eibachs are the same as the Epics, they’ve just been rebranded. The ride is really firm and there’s no body roll whatsoever. It’s awesome on the freeway, taking on-ramps and interchanges, and going around corners, but I feel every bump, dip, and crack in the road. In the city it’s a bit jarring. I also have Cusco strut braces and Cobb sway bars, both front and rear. And because everything is so firm, I also notice a lot more noise and vibration in the interior from the dash and body panels.

I originally installed the Bilsteins without intending to change the springs, but the front sat a lot higher. I found out this is due to the Spec B strut mounts, which are 3/8” thicker, but that 3/8” is huge. It makes the front look like you’re ready for the Baja 1000. After installing the springs, with 3/8” rear spring spacers, the car was level and the ride height was practically stock, though it was probably about 1/2” lower (I have stock 17” rims and 215/45/17 tires).

I was really happy with this set up at first, especially since the car was level again, and because the handling was night and day. But after a few months of daily driving the fun started to wear off and now I wish it was just a bit softer.

Yes, if you install Bilstein HDs, no matter what springs you use, your car will sit higher in the front, if you do nothing to correct the issue. The Spec B top hats that are needed to install the Bilsteins are thicker than the stock ones, which is equivalent to adding a spacer. To get the car level you need to use a spring spacer in the rear.

Archived