LegacyGT.com

Burning rubber smell at high speeds/loads

I have a N.A. 2006 Legacy, 13K miles, no problems until recently On a recent long highspeed (70 mph) trip I noticed some burning smell from the engine when accelerating to pass. And just tonight, climbing a hill - not quite half a mile trip but very steep, and the smell was back. When I got home I grabbed a bright flashlight & stuck my head under the hood & saw no obvious problems with leaks, wires or belts. The smell was not strong but was from up near the alternator.

So, only changes to the car have been an aftermarket stereo, a modest Sony unit & no extra amps...I used Crutchfield's wiring harness, no issues and the electricals are fine. So I really doubt this is related to the stereo.

So I have 3 questions:

1) If the alternator is going would it smell like burning rubber?

2) Is it more likely the belt, given the smell?

3) IS Subaru going to void my warranty because I have an aftermarket stereo?

thanks!

They cannot void your warranty, only deny it. There is a difference. If your engine blew up while you had a aftermarket stereo do you think they will tell you they wont replace it? They would have to prove it was your stereo that caused the failure.

But the engine is not "directly" connected to the alternator/battery the way a stereo is. The engine needs the alternator and battery to start, once it gets going its on its own.

So yes they could deny your warranty claim if its an electrical problem.

Try the same driving maneuvers with the stereo off, see what happens.

There is also the hydraulic clutch smell you get from the center differential when it transfers power to the rear (at least thats what I think it is on mine). Could that be it? Driving up hill, snow driving and accelerating to pass the computer transfers power to the rear and you do smell a weird smell for a little bit.

Um maybe it is just your catalytic converter working, or maybe you have something plastic stuck to your exhaust?

And iylla's comment makes no sense. A car needs an alternator to run, not just to start. What do you think is making the electricity?

X

---

But the engine is not "directly" connected to the alternator/battery the way a stereo is. The engine needs the alternator and battery to start, once it gets going its on its own.

So yes they could deny your warranty claim if its an electrical problem.

Try the same driving maneuvers with the stereo off, see what happens.

There is also the hydraulic clutch smell you get from the center differential when it transfers power to the rear (at least thats what I think it is on mine). Could that be it? Driving up hill, snow driving and accelerating to pass the computer transfers power to the rear and you do smell a weird smell for a little bit.

First off to the OP don't even worry about your aftermarket stereo. It will not void your claim. You are worried about an oil burning problem, that has nothing to do with your stereo. Its under warranty take it to the dealer and get it checked out. The dealer is not going to say a word about your stereo when you go in.

Hey thanks for all the input. Yup it is an auto.

RE: Cat -- I agree with Voytect - that is a different smell I know a hot cat.

Rear differential, now that's an idea. I'll check again - the engine cpt in general smelled healthy, it was up by the alternator where I smelled the burning plastic - nothing from the rear. (OK brain cramp on the rear differential, was thinking transfer case).

RE: some plastic from the road, could be - had the oil changed though & asked them to take a look, they saw nothing. But then again JL tends to focus on the job at hand.

I probably need to take this in.

Man, you better edit that post before you get laughed at... Rear diff is not in the engine bay.

Yeah yeah yeah, was thinking rear drive transfer case - makes no sense for the differential to get that hot.

It'd be interesting to get under the car and see if there's some foreign matter wedged against your exhaust plumbing.

I once ended a routine drive to find smoke pouring out from my hood. Turned out that a rag had gotten blown onto my exhaust manifold and was smoldering there.

It'd be interesting to get under the car and see if there's some foreign matter wedged against your exhaust plumbing.

I once ended a routine drive to find smoke pouring out from my hood. Turned out that a rag had gotten blown onto my exhaust manifold and was smoldering there.

Had a plastic bag warp and then weld itself to my exhaust once. Took a while to burn off.

I have an 01 GT wagon that has had that same smell ever since I bought the car in 03. It seems to come and go without rhyme or reason. I have told the dealer about it on several occasions and they say they have checked and couldn't find anything wrong. It does seem more pronounced after more spirited driving, but sometimes it just starts stinking when driving slow, summer or winter. Ya, it comes out the air vents, and you may as well be driving with your head in the engine compartment. I joined this forum in hopes of getting some answers, but no one seem to have anything definitive. The car has been perfect aside from a fried alternator about 1 1/2 years ago. Its an auto with 122k Km on it. At one time the dealer said it was just undercoating that would burn off in time. No way, I've had the car for over 4 years! Someone at Subaru MUST know whats goin on...!

• 1 year later...

I'm havig the SAME problem, thought it was the alternater too. I still haven't figured out what the smell is or where it's coming from. PLEASE let me know if you figure out what this is.

I have a 2.5i '08 but with about 800 miles on it. I figured it was just the care "breaking in", but it's starting to worry me now.

If its the alternator, wouldn't it be making an abnormal whining sound?

Also about the cats, I have noticed this lately also. When I push the car through the gears rather quickly a few times around and get it up to 75+ mph, I start to get that strong exhaust odor in the cabin. It doesn't necessarily smell like burning rubber though.

• 1 year later...
Try a couple tankful of gas change to Shell or Mobil and see if you still smell the same or smell disappears ... I switched to these 2 brands (price is little higher) then no more rubber burning smell ... very likely the winter gas formula.

Archived