LegacyGT.com

WRX pedal swap.. argggg

ion

ok - so the swap was going smooth last night:

Dead pedal - no problem

Clutch pedal - pretty easy slide on

Brake pedal - again pretty easy slide on

Accel pedal - well....

I had some choice words for that thing. Once I got it unbolted (not a big deal - thanks to this forum for the pics and instructions). Now like many others on the this site, getting that pin out is a real bitch. But again thanks to this site (you all are the best), I was able to follow some suggestions and get the pin out.

Now the hard part - having some serious trouble getting the pin back in with the new pedal. I know some of you did not re-use the pin and used a nut and bolt. Did that work? What size nut/bolt did you use? I am worried that I am going to mess up my new pedal trying to get this stupid pin back in.

Any advice/help? thanks :D

Funny I tried to do mine last night too........got them and a bov.....bov on in 3 minutes and work'n..

What's the trick to slipping the petals over, start with the bottom pull up...start with the top....FILL me in man, right now they are only on and the top part is not over the metal

When I catch up with ya and get to the pin, hopefull I'll have something for you. Do you have the link to the thread that shows ya how to remove the acc petal?

....I don't fit so well in the area under there..... :D

EDIT: Found the install thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344&highlight=WRX+Pedals

EDIT 2: Here's all the info you need

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128

Didn't we trade PM's or email about this? :confused: May have been someone else though. I had a spare set of t-nuts and allen bolts from my PPI sub....it worked great. I think a 1.5"x1/8" bolt and nut would work fine (rough dimensions). Probably best to take the pedal to the store with you to test fit....I had stuff in my toolbox that worked. I have one of those magnetic metal dished that leftover nuts, bolts and screws get tossed into for times like this.

I couldn't get the tops of the clutch and brake to slide all the way over. 8 months later and no issues....a PITA for sure. As for the gas....I used a long, slender bolt I had sitting around. Maybe 1/4 x 2?

The trick to the clutch and brake pedals:

Spray just a little WD40, etc. (I think I used windex) on the backside of the new pedal. Make sure you get some down in the tight grooves of the rubber backing. Then place the pedal on from the bottom up. Then sit in your car and push on the brake and clutch pedals - when pushing down on them, make sure you also slide/push your foot up toward the top of the pedal as well. This should push the top part of the pedal over that lip and secure it.

Hope that makes sense.

As for the bolt, I tried one last night that I had laying around, but it was too long (it was sticking out from the side of the pedal) and just a tad too skinny because the pedal did not seem to tight. It would jiggle around a little. Looks like I will make another Home Depot run.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I did mine last winter and hated every minute of it. The accelrator pedal wasn't hard, juts tedious and I thought for sure I'd break something with all that electronic throttle stuff attached. I also hated the brake and clutch covers- they just didn't want to go on.

When I changed the pedal out, I reinstalled the pin using a vise.

Just line it up and gently tighten the vise. It goes back in, and is a better solution than the bolt. At least for me, I was never able to find a bolt that didn't introduce some play into the pedal.

I have a vise. Not sure how that's a solution as the pedal is plastic and the pin is metal. Metal + metal + plastic = broken pedal. Trust me, I tried this first and the pressure was bending the plastic more than it was pushing the pin in.

yeah Jedimaster - I know the feeling. I thought a couple of times, I was going to brake the accel pedal assembly with the way I am banging on it with the hammer/punch to the get the pin out. And then when I tried to hammer the pin back in, I already hit the pedal (by accident) once or twice, so I think I may be ready for the "bolt" method. Although I have not tried vise grips.

Haha... I got my pedals yesterday (funny how we're all doing it at the same time)

Tried installing only the clutch and brake pedals this morning.. and managed only to get the clutch one on. Haven't even gotten around to the dead pedal or accelerator yet.

Even then what a PIA!! http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4489/furious37cx.gif

It probably took me 10-15 minutes *just to get the clutch pedal on*. LOL.

For those considering it, there's a few things that make it a not-so-easy task:

1) The rubber backing is thick and hard. You can't just "slip" it on.

2) You're working pretty much blind, since the backing is facing away from you.

3) Not much space down there... even an anorexic Mini-me would find himself cramped!

Not sure when I'll get around to doing the other pedals.. but WD40 and bolt and nut do sound hella good right now. http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2307/noteeth1yv.gif

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Patagonian--

I hear what you're saying. If I recall correctly, you can position the pedal assembly in the vise such that one side is in contact with the pin, and the other side is in contact with the painted metal bar, not the pedal.

Bingo...got home...done the Clucth and Brake in 5 minutes.....

1) Spray wd40 all over the back of the new pedal...wipe excess off

2) put the Bottom of the pedal on sliding it up from the bottom unil it gets up as far as possible, make sure the sides are over the back of the metal of the pedal.

3) Put on a shoe (I did it barefoot, ouch :D) Sit in the drivers seat.....

4) Do the break first as it's easier and you can get a feel, push it in as far as possible with all the pressure on the bottom of the pedal, now slowly and push hard in/up slowly wiggling your foot back and forth upwards. Do it more then you think......

5) Get back on the floor check it out, take a screwdriver and pop out any that's stuff folded under......

6) Do the same to the clutch......it's harder cuz it goes further to the floor, but once you get it in far you can move your foot more cuz it's behind the pastic shield.....

Good luck, let me know how it works for you.....like I said, took me 5 mins and I was on the phone (speaker)

Thanx to everyone for all the ideas........

EDIT: Man The Gas petal was easier for me then anything else......

1) Sprayed the pin that goes through with PB Blaster (after the wd40 trick) let it set for about 5 mins or so

2) Got a 2x4 proped the pedal on it, tuned a set of pliers on it's side, put it flush with the pin, wailed it with a rubber hammer until it was flush......

3) Bent the plastic of the back pedal (and pried with screw driver) and it popped off with a lil force

4) Then Laid the gas rod on the floor with the hooked end on the 2x4 Used the same method in step 2 to get it flush then put a small philips sized screw driver (same size as the pin) in the whole whaled away and it popped right out

5) I had 2 Screws and nutz that are ABSOLUTLEY PERFECT for this, slid it through, tightend it down

6) Put the 2 12mm nutz back on, plugged it back in.....Done

Read to be mad.......it took me about 20 mins to change all the pedals total....:D Reseach and ask'n people ROCKS.....

If anyone wants the other bolt I used....PM and I'll send it...or find the demesions.....

Guys, +10 billion for the WD40 method. It was so much easier it's not even funny! http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/8986/nana.gif

10 seconds to spray the WD40 on and wipe off excess, 30 seconds to slip on the brake pedal, and another 10 seconds to push it on with my foot. Seriously, it could not have been easier!

Dead pedal was quite easy too, I recommend having a small knife ready to cut off the adhesive backing.

Next: accel pedal!

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Yeah got my gas pedal on last night - bolt and nut trick worked like a charm. Took about 5 minutes with no cursing. :lol:

Love my pedals now. Even my wife (who helped me out) loves the new look. The gas pedal had her cursing as well, but now even she admits it was kind of fun and it looks nice.

(scans007 - glad the WD40 trick worked for you.)

Guest *Jedimaster*
You should add a donate link for this on your website:

http://www.toolweb.com/pics/SHV962-10.jpg

:D

Damnit- you beat me to a wiseass comment :lol:

Archived