LegacyGT.com

Audio deck cubby install (single din)

Boosh

Hey guys,

After researching the forums, I decided to go with a single din install in the cubby area of my 2006 Subaru outback. I approached a local car audio company and they offered to provide their own solution in place of

the Rallitek single din kit (see attached pics)

The whole thing ended up costing $ 500.00 CAD, which included 4 hours labour, the Kenwood deck, wiring harness, attenna adapter and finally taxes.

Now I can finally play mp3s off my usb drive instead of having to use the 6 cd changer.

2.thumb.jpg.1ee44051d8c78af65dce2507f5d54092.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.10019ff9c20ddd359e5961edc41b8711.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.4a7054513b8524095a64a6cfaeb84b90.jpg

• 1 year later...
I like that. As much as I want a double din. Paying 400 bucks for the JDM piece is just overkill.

Well worth it though. Over there it's just about the same price. except minus shipping. It's just that we don't have any manufacturer to make one in mass for us. Also aesthetics, you keep your stock radio in and people were ALWAYS confused about it, unless of course they own a legacy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Back from the dead. I have a Double DIN out of my Forester and a Single DIN out of my STI. I think this might be the easiest way to get better Audio in the car and still sort of keep it looking factory.

Any tips on securing the head unit?

• 2 weeks later...

There ought to be a sticky on the cubby hole approach with part numbers.

Essentially:

-mounting kits available:

*AVO $115 (drop in)

*Metra Ford F150 (cheap but cutting needed)

*others

-Male & Female wiring adapters (to make a Y connector to old receiver/hvac and new unit)

*Metra

*Scosche

Wait, I also believe you can do a double din by relocating the clock mini cluster and cutting into the bezel. There is at least one custom job thread somewhere. There are bezels for sale on ebay for around $60. Just don't know how much cutting is required inside behind the dash....

• 4 months later...

Archived