LegacyGT.com

LGT clutch down...

Well here's the run down.I got a 05 LGT 5 speed manuel trans and today my clutch goes out,I guess.So I was just driving around,no hard driving or nothing.And then all of a sudden when am leaving a light and releasing the clutch pedal it starting vibrating.Like how your brake pedal feels when you have warped rotors.Then in probably about a block I start hearing a noise,like clunking maybe.And it made the noise whether the clutch was in or out.And if things weren't bad enough already then smoke starts coming out from the hood scoop.Well luckily I was very close too the dealership I bought the car from,and dropped the car off there.But the bad news is that mechanics don't work on sunday's.So I have too wait till monday until they can even look at the car.I have the 5 year K mile bumper to bumper warranty.But I don't know how long it's going to take the dealer too get moving on this.And the car has about K miles on it,but am the second owner,so I don't know.Well that was my shitty day, how was yours?

On my old Honda my clutch broke and it felt the same way... A piece of the flywheel had broken off and was jumping around between the plates. Once completely in gear, it drove fine... but easing the clutch into gear was pretty scary. No smoke though.

I saw the damage afterwards... surprisingly there were only a couple of gouges.

This happened to me two weeks ago while driving 2 miles home from work...vibrating pedal, burnt smell, grinding noise. The T/O bearing came apart at 45K miles. There is scoring and such. More info when I know how SOA handles this.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Where there's smoke, there's oil (or some form of it). There's been several members on here recently reporting issues with there TOB. Just had my whole clutch system replaced due to a failed pressure plate. They believe that the TOB was the instigator and/or was on its last legs too when they pulled it apart, so perhaps I caught it in time, or just got lucky.

Good luck with your's and keep us appraised how it all works out.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I believe it is the clutch because when I was at the dealership leaving the car it wouldn't go into gear,so I had too push it.Forgot too mention that.

That makes more sense now.

My clutch has been making some popping noise first thing in the morning. I'm pretty sure it's the TOB or pressure plate. It goes away after it warms up. Took the car in but the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem. :mad: Anyway, I'm at 30k and I have a feeling the TOB is going to explode just after I hit 36k...

Just curious: Do you guys who have (or may have) TO bearing problems...do you push your clutch pedal in and leave it in at lights? Do you tend to have the clutch pedal pushed in even when not in gear?

I've only ever heard of TO bearings wearing out from people who tended to push the clutch pedal in and leave it in on a regular basis.

Joe

when a clutch is REALLY BLOWN:

a few of my friends took a girl's jetta out for a joyride when she left her keys in it at a highschool party they beat the piss out of it (which i dont condone but not being affected by it the story is pretty funny. When one of them downshifted as they aproached the party driveway one friend (who drives a stick since he started driving) pushes the clutch in and shifts into first. when removing his foot from the clutch it stayed matted to the floor, and the car just had enough momentum to roll into the driveway and stop. Thats a toasted clutch lol

Just curious: Do you guys who have (or may have) TO bearing problems...do you push your clutch pedal in and leave it in at lights? Do you tend to have the clutch pedal pushed in even when not in gear?

I've only ever heard of TO bearings wearing out from people who tended to push the clutch pedal in and leave it in on a regular basis.

Joe

I actually go out of my way to not hold the clutch in for that exact reason.

Archived