LegacyGT.com

Gotta Rebuild... Throwing around idea's

So I've been thinking lately. I've got to rebuild my LGT and I want to have fun with it.

Do you guys think it's possible to make a USDM 3.0R spec.b? (you know h6 + manual transmission) To later (or during the build) be made turbo?

I'm sure the cost will be high, and the work will be challenging. But what do you think?

I haven't researched anything yet so I don't know squat.

Putting a turbo on is not terribly complicated. If you do research, there may even be a kit for the 6 cylinder to turbo it. Exhaust source blows on wheel which turns compressor wheel that creates boost. The complicated part is finding the best way/location to feed the turbo via the exhaust and then routing the intake side to make sure you have the room for an intercooler. If you can do your own fabrication (welding, cutting, machining) it saves a ton of money and allows you to experiment with locations and angles and designs.

Once you have all of the above done, THEN you are into tuning and mapping to make sure MAF reads correctly because once the compressor starts spinning, velocity will change as will MAF readings and then the ECM begins to get it's own ideas.

Hate it when the ECM begins to get it's own ideas. :mad:

Do you own your own shop and know how to weld and tune ?

Yea, I didn't think so.

How deep are your pockets. I'd guess a shop would do this for $30,000 may be a little less.

Just do what most normal people do, just put a bigger turbo and supporting items on your rebuilt ej255.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Do you own your own shop and know how to weld and tune ?

Yea, I didn't think so.

How deep are your pockets. I'd guess a shop would do this for $30,000 may be a little less.

Just do what most normal people do, just put a bigger turbo and supporting items on your rebuilt ej255.

OP, please ignore this and carry on. k thanks.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I like to see people spend there money, heck, I even enjoy helping them spend. But this like the other thread from yesterday about the v8 in a LGT, is useless for 99% of us.

At least the one guy doing the LS swap has the know how to do it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/engine-help-214562.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I don't know a damn thing yet.. Realistically I'll be able to do most of the work save welding exhaust (although i could teach myself) Tuning.. again same difference. I figure there wont be nearly as much fabrication as putting say a 3.8 turbo v6, or a v8 in it as the H6 was designed for the car.

But at this point.. i'm dumb and oblivious to any and all knowledge on the subject. It's either this or i quick sell the car and buy a datsun Z project. I figured a USDM H6 manual turbo 4th gen legacy would be a fun and relatively unique project.

Hey, now your on to something a 3.8 turbo v6 buick....Gee, like that's been done before.

PM Fran_ster, he know's all about that.

Enjoy your wiring harness nightmare!

The mechanics and adding a turbo are the easy part. its the wiring and new ecu that will be the hard part. I've seen a couple guys do turbo H6 setups in GCs. I've even seen a gc N/A h6 setup that destroyed in an STX class I believe(could be wrong).

Bottom line is, Im pretty sure they were all running on standalones. If thats what you planned on doing from the get-go, ignore me. If not, you need to consider how you planned on running it. Though it shouldn't be TOO big of a deal considering its just another legacy, but something you dont want to forget about when figuring out the work involved.

Why not get a supercharger kit from Austrailia for the H6 then throw a manual tranny behind it. Dont have to tune or mess with all the ecu stuff.

^^^This. A supercharger would most likely give a 6 cylinder more than the turbo would and no lag whatsoever.

This has MY vote ! ! ! Git crackin'.

:)

It will be a lot of work, and a fair some of cash.... But I think totally worth the effort. I wonder if WRX 2.0 aftermarket engine internals will work.

I will retract that last thought, they will not. Looks like i'd have to send a stock piston out to have it custom machined.

Archived