LegacyGT.com

Base XT Still Available

I wouldn't say 'Good Stuff' as I was hoping that my base model XT would be worth more as a result. Probably doesn't matter anyhow as I plan to drive the wheels off this thing!

Kinda Sorta. As much as I HATE leather (reminds me of the vinyl in my dad's 72 Torino) and a sun roof (I'd never use it) such options are 'common' and somewhat expected these days. Heck, I heard people call my car stripped without them!

So, at trade in or resale time most buyers of new or nearly new cars want it.

Even so, our base XT's are very rare. I have only seen three other red XT's in the 13 months that I've owned my car and every one of them was a limited. I have only seen a handful of base XT's - another model year won't make them as prevelant as Camry's. I wonder if there's some way to look on Subaru's website to see how many cars they produce for every color and model?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm telling you guys- it's just a more serious car. Obviously Subaru has figured out that Outback owners want their cars the way they want them! :cool:

I wouldn't say 'Good Stuff' as I was hoping that my base model XT would be worth more as a result.

That's nothing more than wishfull thinking. As SoldonSubie already indicated, while the base XT may be more desireable to some of us here, when it comes time to sell it will bring LESS money than a Limited model. The fact that relatively few were made will make no difference in resale value.

• 4 weeks later...
That's nothing more than wishfull thinking. As SoldonSubie already indicated, while the base XT may be more desireable to some of us here, when it comes time to sell it will bring LESS money than a Limited model. The fact that relatively few were made will make no difference in resale value.

I think it will make a difference. It won't sell for as much as a Limited model, but the relative scarcity might close the price gap some. Some people (such as my wife) actually prefer cloth with no sunroof.

I also prefer cloth over leather and a moonroof is something I seldom ever use which adds unwanted weight and is just something else that will eventually break, so an XT base model is the one I would buy.

However, if I were buying a used car, I would certainly not pay a premium for the fact that there were relatively few made, and neither would most people. Now if it was a very rare model of Porsche or other potentially collectable car, it would be a different story, but a Subaru Outback does not fall into the collectable category.

I also prefer cloth over leather and a moonroof is something I seldom ever use which adds unwanted weight and is just something else that will eventually break, so an XT base model is the one I would buy.

However, if I were buying a used car, I would certainly not pay a premium for the fact that there were relatively few made, and neither would most people. Now if it was a very rare model of Porsche or other potentially collectable car, it would be a different story, but a Subaru Outback does not fall into the collectable category.

It doesn't matter whether *you* would pay a premium or not. What matters is the overall supply and demand in the market. If there are people that want cloth and no sunroof, and there are relatively few such cars around, those cars are going to cost more than if there was an oversupply of them. If you aren't willing to pay up, it doesn't matter, because someone else will.

It doesn't matter whether *you* would pay a premium or not. What matters is the overall supply and demand in the market. If there are people that want cloth and no sunroof, and there are relatively few such cars around, those cars are going to cost more than if there was an oversupply of them. If you aren't willing to pay up, it doesn't matter, because someone else will.

Sure, whatever. Come back in a couple of years and let us know how much over book value you get for your used base XT.

Archived