LegacyGT.com

Quick Banjo Bolt Question ....

Ok, bringing my '05 L Gt to the dealer for 60K maintenance next week .. asked if they could replace my meshed banjo bolts (screen on bolt to turbo, notorious for clogging and starving turbo of oil) for unmeshed. If I'm not mistaken, Subie stopped using meshed banjo bolts in '06 ???? Service dude said he can only replace with new meshed banjo bolts ...... ?????

Both are available.

The screen isn't the problem...it's folks not maintaining their LGTs correctly.

I hope so! cos I own a JDM LGT and it to change the banjo bolt I have to remove the turbo :eek:

I change oil and filter every 3000miles or less...

I agree that proper care and maintenance are crucial to engine longevity, but this is in fact a flawed design which can lead to premature failure .... "Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related problem with premature clogging of the oil mesh screen located inside the oiling system that supplies the turbo charger on all model turbo charged cars. A clogged screen will result in oil starvation and turbo charger failure. Subaru has reduced their recommended oil drain interval in half, as a solution, from 7,500 miles to 3,750 miles (3-3/4 months) and requires the oil mesh screen to be inspected, and possibly serviced, at every oil change."

most dealers remove them as part of the TSB when the car comes in for service. but not all. tell them to remove it as part of the tsb

That's because the TSB's on this issue say to check it and clean it or replace it with a new one. No where does it say to remove the screen. It does do a job other than starving the turbo of oil. ;)

You can download them and read them yourself...

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

Cheers!

That's because the TSB's on this issue say to check it and clean it or replace it with a new one. No where does it say to remove the screen. It does do a job other than starving the turbo of oil. ;)

You can download them and read them yourself...

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

Cheers!

oh! you're a deusey today aren't you!! :spin::spin:

That's exactly what the service manager said at the dealer ... he will clean it or replace it, but no way will he remove it. He also suggested I buy this engine flush .. dump it in oil, run for 20 min. and drain.

^^ Dealers are f%$^#Tards

My dealership mechanic said they don't make filters anymore, you can't buy them, and they just remove them and throw them away.

Wish Subaru Dealers would take a consistent opinion across the board on this stupid banjo bolt issue.

^^ Dealers are f%$^#Tards

My dealership mechanic said they don't make filters anymore, you can't buy them, and they just remove them and throw them away.

Wish Subaru Dealers would take a consistent opinion across the board on this stupid banjo bolt issue.

Here here!

In fact this might be more easily resolved everywhere if Subaru would consolidate their service records into a national data base for any Subaru

tech, anywhere to easily research the issue and via recommendation, advise the customer of his/her options as to the procedure (which normally,

IIRC is not usually addressed during an oil service) and proper oil changes and recommended maintenance procedures to follow.

Consistency has not been the hallmark of Subaru on this issue certainly!

Thanks for the info goneskiian!

jus throwing this out there but, if u remove the screen does that allow dirt an shit to go into the turbo? because the screen is there to filter that out, correct?

If you change your oil there wont be dirt in your oil :lol: thats the argument here whether to keep it or not. Secondly, the screen filters stuff out before the oil gets to the turbo bearings but will eventually stop oil flow through the screen (vf40 failure) over a period of time.

As indicated in the documents above posted by goneskiian, it's a design fault, overlooked at the time engineering was approved and long before production

of the engines began way back when.

Replacing one's oil more frequently (somewhat expensive and not 'green' by any stretch) is certainly a panacea and as you indicate not a complete solution.

Myself, I would rather have oil and a bit of aluminum in my turbo lubrication system than no oil whatsoever but certainly a better filtering system (as a recall measure long ago?) for such a critical (and expensive to replace) component such as the entire turbo charger likely was deemed uneconomical by Subaru and thus we are left with the many failures that indeed for ones that strictly follow the new oil change intervals (one half the recommended time/mileage) meant that for these lucky ones, Subaru has stepped up and replaced the units under warranty in many instances.

Sadly that warranty period is just about over, for the most of us anyway...

Cheers!

or should i jus have him take it off an be done with it?

Take it off and be religious about your oil changes. You'll need new copper washers everytime you remove the banjo bolt. They are one time use.

• 2 years later...
125,000 miles, never removed banjo bolt or checked screen. Crossing fingers.

IMO you should remove it, mine was in there till 142,000 miles when I got the P0011 and P0021 CEL's. My turbo went a 1000 miles later.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived