LegacyGT.com

Dead key fob

mmarton

I just tried unlocking my car (05 2.5i wagon) with the remote fob and it didn't work.

I've noticed that it took some very firm presses to work lately, signaling tom me that perhaps the fob battery needs replacing.

My question is, can I replace the battery and, if so, do I need to have the fob reprogrammed?

This has been happening to me too lately. But I was going to see if I can use it as an excuse with the wife to get the new integrated key with fob instead.

On a side note; do I need to worry about breaking anything should I decide to replace the battery and pry that sucker open?

• 2 months later...

I wish I had been that lucky. I had the same basic problem, but it was the lock button. At first it would work about half the time, then it just quit altogether. A new battery didn't fix it so I pulled the circuit board out to take a look and found the LOCK switch (SW1) had come off the board. I've never tried to solder surface mount components, but figured it was dead anyway. I ended up using a 15 watt soldering pen with a tip that I filed to a needle point. It's been just over a week now and no problems. Sure beats $100+ for a new one.

PSBreen

key.thumb.jpg.985162aa81da51463cb29778b4ea4eb6.jpg

Archived