LegacyGT.com

Possible new product - Outback Lowering Springs, Non-Coilover

easton

How much should the aftermarket springs lower the Outback?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How much should the aftermarket springs lower the Outback?

• No Lowering - Keep Stock Ride Height.
    • 1.5" Lower - Eat up some wheel well gap, but retain ground clearance.
    • 2.5" Lower - Dump it to the weeds, baby.

Hello all. I spoke to a well known Subaru aftermarket parts manufacturer about the lack of available suspension components for the outback. They were very open to the idea of making a spring kit for the Outback. If this product were to be developed, would you like it to retain stock ride height or lower the vehicle?

This is something that could be developed by the Springtime, so lets get lots of feedback to show that that this would be a worthwhile product.

Performance + Stock Ride height (or at least the option of keeping it) = good.

I finally got tired of waiting for alternatives & bought MR Coilovers. If you want to lower the Outback 1.5" or more, you might as well just get LegacyGT components.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

i would aim for something close to stock GT ride height but firmer. the HDs are a great shock to match the springs with. this means making the ride height correct with bilstein fitment front mounts. no one is going to use the stock USDM KYB struts anyway, they are poop.

a setup like that would allow GT sedan and wagon owners to have a much better than stock option while retaining stock ride height and usability. the outback folks would lose a little ground clearance, but who cares about them. ;-)

This company is also a Bilstein dealer, and the Outback specific Struts/Shocks were also part of the discussion.

You can just bring them from Japan, the Bilsteins shocks (come in package with Eibach springs, I believe) are available for Outback there.

So are Bilstein PSS coilovers for Legacy.

I called and talked to someone at Bilstein about bringing them, but they gave me some corporate blah blah :rolleyes:

Product is ready, why not to sell it here? :confused:

Where does one get those Bilsteins from Japan? Japanparts.com doesn't list them, nor does AVO.

Any ideas?

You can just bring them from Japan, the Bilsteins shocks (come in package with Eibach springs, I believe) are available for Outback there.

So are Bilstein PSS coilovers for Legacy.

I called and talked to someone at Bilstein about bringing them, but they gave me some corporate blah blah :rolleyes:

Product is ready, why not to sell it here? :confused:

Yes, please do something. I voted for 1.5" drop, but I'd happily take stock ride height, too.

More importantly, I want more options for new/better shocks. My '08 OBXT is great, except that it feels like the shocks are blown out (they're not), even compared to nothing better than my six year old Impreza.

Ben

The OB is already underdamped on the soft and tall OEM springs. Stiffer lowering springs on those flaccid shock would not be a good idea. Not to be too self serving, but by the time you get upgraded struts and lowering springs you'll be spending the same money for the MR OB coilovers. Of all the products I have co-developed with MR, I can't think of another which has met with such universal customer approval.

The OB is already underdamped on the soft and tall OEM springs. Stiffer lowering springs on those flaccid shock would not be a good idea. Not to be too self serving, but by the time you get upgraded struts and lowering springs you'll be spending the same money for the MR OB coilovers. Of all the products I have co-developed with MR, I can't think of another which has met with such universal customer approval.

Yeah, if you plan to sell lowering springs with shocks, you have to make it cheaper than the MR outback coilovers to get any market demand.

For me, I'd be fine with just bilsteins, but probably not willing to pay over $500. Any more, and I'd be considering the MR coilovers. (gotta pay down or pay off our carloans before any mods, though :( )

I personally am not so much concerned with the initial investment, as I am with the maintainance and setup of coilovers

That is the biggest misconception out there. Coilovers that use the stock top hats (like the MR OB coilovers) require absolutely no more maintenance than fixed perch struts and springs. They are simply matched threaded body dampers and springs. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no upkeep to speak of. The dampers wear at the same rate as fixed perch struts. When they do wear out, MR offers brand new damper inserts for about $90/corner or less than the cost of replacing fixed perch struts, so over the long haul the MR OB coilovers will cost you LESS to own.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello all. I spoke to a well known Subaru aftermarket parts manufacturer about the lack of available suspension components for the outback. They were very open to the idea of making a spring kit for the Outback. If this product were to be developed, would you like it to retain stock ride height or lower the vehicle?

This is something that could be developed by the Springtime, so lets get lots of feedback to show that that this would be a worthwhile product.

With Bilsteins, I would be all over that. I would love a much better strut. Having the car a little lower would be nice.

How come the springs are the same for the 00-08 but nothing else is?

A little known fact is the rear suspension on 3rd and 4th generation legacy/outback is virtually identical. Shocks would bolt on and springs would fit. For example, rear STI lateral links for our cars also fit 3rd gen cars.

3rd gen (00-04) Legacy/Outbacks are pigs so virtually there is zero enthusiast market in the US....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived