LegacyGT.com

Larger carrier bracket and rotors?

sicklyscott

On my older GTI I had upgraded the front brakes to the 20th anniversary edition simply by using a larger caliper bracket and rotor. Does anyone make a kit like this? I'm sure there are many OEM rotors we can use, but what about a carrier bracket? This would be an extremely cheap alternative to a BBK.

The hard part is getting someone (business or individual) to find a caliper that might work and then fab up the design of the bracket to make it fit.

First spot to look is other cars from the same manufacturer. Problem is that the LGT has pretty large brakes as is, only the WRX STI is bigger (and not by much for the rotor, the caliper has 4 pistons instead of 2 on the LGT though).

After looking within a manufacturer, you can look at other manufacturers. That, in my opinion, is where it gets tougher (finding the calipers to begin with, and then test fitting / fabing / manufacturing)

RacingBrake makes a rear kit to relocate the stock rear caliper out farther on a larger rotor.

Two things must be considered. As mentioned, the Legacy GT already has fairly large brakes. Next consider how vast the VAG (VW/Audi Group) offering is and where the Golf fits into it vs. Subaru's offerings and where the Legacy fits into it. The Legacy is pretty much at the top-of-the-heap from a handful of offerings, while the Golf is an entry level car from a manufacturer that has many cars, some that cost over $100K.

As mentioned, the STIs front Brembo 4-piston caliper bolts right up to the Legacy with rotors designed for a 2004 STi. The rear STI Brembos can be bolted up with special rotors and some TLC.

Archived