LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

Does anyone know who has the best deal for the Bilstein HD strut kit, including hardware and spec.B tophats, right now? Fred Beans' price is always $1K, I know I saw one online recently for $850-ish, but can't remember where it was. Been itching to do the upgrade, just never got around to it. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is a 5EAT sedan, so it's a bit heavier than a MT sedan. Similarly I think there would be differences with the 5EAT wagon and MT wagon. I used 3/8" but the vendor that I got them from (Mach V) makes them in 1/2" and 1/4" too I think. So it depends on which Legacy you have. I've seen pics on this forum of people with spacers and still had the saggy butt on the rear struts.

Also, the type of Pinks you use on the rear struts will be a factor. I opted for sedan/5EAT springs all around, but I know some use the wagon springs in the back just to avoid the saggy butt.

Just to note, I recall doing a search here and it said that if you use 3/8" spacers you did not have to use extended studs. I actually found that this was NOT the case and I did have to use extended ones. I don't know if this was just on my car or what, but the spacers were indeed 3/8" thick. Also, the stud holes didn't line up properly and I had to enlarge them somewhat to fit.

Thanks for the info. I have the MT model so maybe someone will post up with the corresponding spring set up for my car. Otherwise when I have the time I'll back track through this thread to see if anyone posted up previously.

does anyone have any experience with koni struts and eibach springs?

That's what I'm running right now.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/soloz210/2006%20Legacy%20Letchworth%20Pics/IMG_0811.jpg

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I'll third that. My car was fine for a few months on stock struts and lowering springs. Then it got bouncy. Completely gone now that I have konis.

If you read a lot throughout this forum, the general consensus is that the lgt is underdamped stock, so putting firmer springs on it just makes things worse until the shocks are completely useless.

2006 Legacy GT Limited sedan....stripped out stock struts and springs...replaced struts with Bilstein HD's....replaced springs with pinks...true JDM look and feel...super handling....firm ride...perfect stance...no spacers needed in rear....

100% improvement....made this car into what it was designed to be....

Bilstein HD's and pinks...works good....

After much research I want with these:

http://shop.edoperformance.com/sti-pink-springs-frontrear-legacy-p-9386.html

Takes a while to get them from Japan, but worth the wait and expense...

How is the ride? I've noticed my cars butt is sagging, did you have to have any spacers in to get rid of the sag?

On the highway it's awesome! In my town the roads suck and it's a little rough. I haven't found the perfect spot for in town driving... At least in my town.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Just did mine all around with Bilstein HD's and pinks....totally new ride....no bouncing, and the transition on twisting diving turns is incredibly smooth...haven't been able to break it loose yet...haven't found the edge where it will break...ride is a little firmer and you can feel the road more....a super stable ride....it's the JDM ride the car was designed for....replaced the LCA large bushings with AVO's non-offset....definitely recommend these stiffer bushings for an upgraded suspension....replaced the small LCA bushing with AVO's as well....running 22mm Perrin sways....

Would it be better to replace the fronts or the rears to get rid of most of the bounce.

Replace all four corners.

Dialing the rear setting up a little from full soft should quiet the rear jounce movement down - Koni "yellows" are single-adjustable on the rebound side which is what you need to keep spring extension under control.

You might then wish to up the front damping a little as well if the tail of the car starts feeling "loose" during "enthusiastic maneuvers", but sneak up on any need to do this slowly.

Norm

Edited by Norm Peterson