LegacyGT.com

Leptronix Aux-In

RedFloyd

Now here is where I am running into serious problems. First of all, I have what I believe to be alternator noise. And it only happens when I am using the Aux-in. There is a clicking noise that is fairly slow at low rpms and picks up in speed and loudness as the engine is revved. Also, there is static that I can hear in the background. It is as if the signal is unclean. The music sounds fine but you can hear static underneath all the notes. I can hear the static and it bugs me even more than my dash rattle. I do not get static from playing a cd. And the static also occurs with the car on and also off. Does anybody else have that and thats just how it is or is something wrong? Can anybody give me some suggestions? I would love to try a different audio cable but I hate to try a different one because I have to take the entire radio completely apart again to unplug it from the leptronix to try a different one and I'm not even sure that is whats causing the problems.

Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the Wall of Text.

Before you go tearing into your radio again...what do you have the volume of your music player set to? If you have your volume set to 100% it will likely produce distortion and static. IIRC this board runs best with the volume of the music player set to ~80%.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The music player is actually coming from a Griffin AutoPilot for ipod. So it uses the ipod connecter. When using the ipod connection, changing the volume on the ipod does not make any difference. There is a boost on the Griffin but it is turned off at the moment. I have also unplugged the aux-in cable from the Griffin and plugged it directly into the headphone jack but still got the same result. Through my troubleshooting, I have noticed that the crackle/static doesn't occur from the bass or the midbass. With only treble set anywhere from -5 to +6 is where it is crackling/static (crackle seems to be a better word to describe it). I am going to attempt to make an audio clip using a microphone to see if I can capture the noise and post it on here. However I don't think the quality of the microphone will capture it correctly but I will go see. I can hear this crackle happening on any volume. And I also tried my other sources (CD) with the same troubleshooting tactics and I did not find the same sound issue. I am also about to go try a different ipod with a different computer's music on it.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b002dg1/n/Audio.wma

That is a link to the file. Start off with your speakers turned down because I don't know how loud you have them set. I am actually impressed with the microphone I used. The sound that you hear in the audio (obviously without bass and midbass) is how the audio sounds. Somewhat distorted/crackly. I tried using the aux-in cable directly to the headphone jack and turned the volume down to 50-60%. I then had to turn the volume of the radio up to 40(max) for things to be comfortably heard. (fyi I dont listen to music that loud at all). for the most part, it is usually a couple notches above where you can hear everything clearly. Anyways, I don't know if I could hear it distorting/crackly/static because the volume was so low or because now the Ipods volume was turned down. I did try another Ipod and got the same problem

*Edit* Sorry for the bad file hosting site (hard to find where the download link is) but it was free. If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see the free download link and then the page refreshes and you have to wait like 30 seconds for the download to become available.

Edited by 05legacy

I need a comparison - Jazzy vs Leptronix.

In favor of the Lep - No CD, no ground loop (supposedly, but that may be different based on above post).

Jazzy - no soldering.

Anything else.?

I've tried all 3:

1) Jazzy

2) mvigneau

3) Leptronix

1) Jazzy setup - it was a clean and easy install, no soldering. It's just annoying that you have to have a CD running all the time. It worked very well 99% of the time, it's just the Subaru system does not remember if you had Repeat on or off, so next time you start up, you have to remember to switch on the repeat.

2) mvigneau - quite complicated, I'm very comfortable with a soldering iron and had minimal trouble installing it. It was a CD-less install and I liked the "Aux button" modification, but it suffered from power on problems - but it's a standard problem with anything using a relay, a slight toggle of power/mode and it's not sure if it should be on (aux playing) or off (CD/Radio playing)

3) Leptronix - clean and easy install - just one minor bit of soldering that I think it would take minor soldering skills. In installing/un-installing the previous 2, I'm quite adept at removing the unit out of the car. I like how it functions - just start playing your aux device and it eventually switches between aux and CD/Radio. I have not permanently installed the 3way switch, which I may do sometime soon.

In order of preference, I'd recommend: 3, 1, then 2.

All 3 had very good sound quality. Which ever of the 3 you decide to get, definitely read the forums for each - there are some very useful tricks to making the install go much smoother.

Just my $0.02.

to 05legacy:

Okay, I will admit the I did not listened to your audio file, but I have some information for you.

1. I have exactly the same setup as you (ipod + griffin) and I don't have any noise at all.

2. Can you hear the same noise only with the switch in the "on" position without anything connected?

3. Maybe your switch connectors makes contacts with the frameof the car, so you have a ground loop, because only the audio input is isolated. Try to remove the switch from where it is and let it in the armrest, or any where else where it is not touching any metal.

4. Then, unplug the audio cable from any source and put the switch in the "on" position. Do you still hear the noise? If yes, I'm sorry to say that you'll have to remove your head unit and check everything back.

5. If you think that my unit is defective, you could send it back to me and I will send you a new one. But I want to tell you that every unit I have sold have been tested for functionality and quality.

To everyone:

I have ordered parts to build new units. I am VERY busy at my day job these days, but next Sunday I will build modules all day long, so I should be able to take orders next week. I also have other projects I have to do, but the aux is in first priority :)

Hey Sebastien and others, thank you for the responses so far. At this point I have every belief that it has nothing to do with the actual leptronix board itself. What I am thinking is I might be using a non-shielded/bad quality extension cable from the radio back to the armrest cubby. What I was looking for is if anyone had suggestions as to if interferance could cause this. I have picked up a ground loop isolator and tried it inline between the extension cable and the ipod but to no avail. I also picked up a shielded, also shorter, extension cable that I will have to wait until my day off tommorow to install since I will be having to completely dissassemble the entire radio again. I will also be checking the flat cables to make sure they are snug.

Once again, this is a great product and it does actually sound great. I am just trying to clean up some static/interference somewhere in the line. I apologize if I have turned anyone away from the product, but don't be alarmed. I'm almost positive it just has something to do with where I ran my cables.

Hi, I'm also located in Australia and am interesed in purchasing. Because our vehicles are right hand drive, the unit is similar but reversed to the US/Canadian models.. The Hazard switch is located on the top left, and the CD/FM/AM button is also on the left. Do you know whether this would work in my unit?? If so, could you let me know postage cost to Aus please and when you may have some more available??

Cheers,

Sean

Pretty sure that the head unit you have in Austria is not the same as the USDM one. If that is the case, then my aux in module is not compatible with your car. What is the number on the front of your head unit?

The Australian model is a GX-201KH. It's the Panasonic single disc version. It's the same as this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170439843265&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The Australian model is a GX-201KH. It's the Panasonic single disc version.

I can disassemble and take photos of the inside of the unit if this helps. I'm really keen on purchasing one of your units. I'm desperate to plug my MP3 player in to what is otherwise a good HU!!

I'm using this and it works very well. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot However, there is a little "hisss" noise when the ipod is been recharged, and it looks like it is caused by the dimming of the led in the autopiot :spin:. The great advantage is that the audio cable is permanently connected to the autopilot and there is only one cable to be connected to the ipod for recharging AND playing audio. :cool:

As for the audio cables, here are some suggestions:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=645&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5578&seq=1&format=2

And before you ask, I'm not ordering these because of the stupid shipping charges to Canada :spin:, I prefer to let you order them individually.

This is the best iPhone/iPod aux in with remote solution, sounds great as the audio comes out of the line out on the phone. I've tried pretty much all the other brands/solutions and it's my favorite.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-LiquidAUX-Auxiliary-Remote-iPhone/dp/B0011UK2HE]Amazon.com: Kensington LiquidAUX Auxiliary Car Kit with Remote for iPod; iPhone 1G, 3G: Electronics[/ame]

2005 LGT with P-201UH radio.

I Just put an order for the aux in board from leptronix but now that I've read more about it, it may not work for me. My CD changer is not functional. The AM/FM works fine all the displays work but i cannot eject 4 remaining CD's in the changer and cannot play any CD's. You think there's a chance it will work anyway?

Hi latogne,

Since you don't need to have a cd in the changer for the aux in to work, even if your cd changer is defective, the aux in will work. Personally, my head unit is always on the fm radio since I don't use my cd player anymore.