LegacyGT.com

Compilation of available clutches for BP/BL

NSFW

Since my stock clutch started slipping, I've been doing a lot of research on clutches for my 5MT 2005 Legacy GT.

While only a few of the manufacturers below make clutches specifically for 2005+ 5MT Legacy GTs, you should be aware that any clutch made for an 2006 or 2007 5MT WRX will work in a 5MT Legacy GT, if you also use a 2006 WRX flywheel.

Also, as Unclemat noted in post #8 below, the 07-09 SpecB 6MT transmission will work with any STI clutch, with the stock SpecB flywheel. See post #8 for more detail. I have not listed the 6MT / SpecB options below, focusing instead on the 5MT options. However if you are interested in a 6MT clutch, the links below should allow you to find one in short order.

ACT / Advanced Clutch Technology

http://www.advancedclutch.com/

ACT clutches for the LGT are similar to identical to their WRX clutches, and they require and ACT flywheel, or a flywheel from an 06 WRX.

The "performance street disk" clutch is very popular among people here with stage-2 cars - lots of happy customers. It's rated at 420 ft/lb, which seems to be a very good match for stage 2. However, j255c's 20G+meth setup apparently twists a little bit harder than that (link) so if you have moved beyond stage 2 you should think twice before going with that clutch.

ACT does make clutches rated for more torque, but they're all puck-style and service life seems to be 10k-15k for that design. (link) (link)

Spec

http://www.specclutch.com/

Spec's clutches are LGT-specific. Spec insists that the flywheel be resurfaced however. Subaru doesn't recommend that for dual-mass flywheels, but it can be done (click here). Or you can just get a new flywheel.

Spec's "Stage 3+" clutch is the highest-rated full-face unit I've found, and was at the top of my list for a while... however after reading the following, I've decided not to risk doing business with them:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1595639&postcount=2

(That was originally posted here, by Malingator's mechanic:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3585180&postid=44094099#44094099 )

Bullyclutch

http://www.bullyclutch.com/

Bullyclutches offers an LGT-specific clutch, and they will be happy to sell an 06 WRX clutch which (like all others) can be used with an 06 WRX flywheel with a BL/BP 5MT. They claim a 60% increase in torque capacity with their Stage 2 full-face clutch, and 100% increase with their Stage 3 puck-style clutch. They also offer their stage-2 clutch with a stage-4 pressure plate for an unspecified increase in capacity.

DSchultz has their stage 1 kit (click here),

LittleBlueGT has their stage 2 clutch with a stage 4 pressure plate (click here and here).

I followed LittleBlueGT's lead with the 2/4 hybrid setup (click here).

Clutchmasters

http://www.clutchmasters.com/

Clutchmasters does not list any clutches for the 2005+ Legacy GT, but they do make a range of clutches of the 2006 WRX, which should drop right in provided you use a 2006 WRX flywheel. Their FX100 and FX200 clutches uses organic and Kevlar discs, respectively, and both provides a moderate increase over stock (they claim 70% additional holding strength). Their FX300 uses a segmented Kevlar disc, and claims 110% more capacity than stock. For major power upgrades, they also make 4- and 6- puck clutches using ceramic (FX400) or iron (FX500), for 170%-400% more capacity.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody here at LegacyGT.com has tried a Clutchmasters clutch yet.

Exedy

http://www.exedyusa.com/

Only three of Exedy's designs are listed for an 05 LGT: OEM, Stage 1 (full-face), and Stage 2 (puck). Torque specs are not listed for any of them. It's probably not coincidence that these all require a new flywheel, and they are the same models they offer for an 06 WRX.

OEM (do they make the original?)

Stage 1 (full-face, no torque rating)

Stage 2 (puck, no torque rating)

Note that Exedy does not list their twin-disc clutch system for the LGT, nor can I find a listing for the 06 WRX. However they do offer them for the STI. SubyDude 555 has one in his Spec B, and I have one in my STI-trans'ed LGT, and we both like them. Twin disc clutches do have an audible rattle when the clutch is pushed in, as a side-effect of the "intermediate flywheel" that's loosely sandwiched between the two clutch discs, but they are silent when your foot is off the clutch.

Unorthodox Racing

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/

They don't claim to offer anything for the BL/BP LGT. If you tell their web site that you have an 06 WRX, they list several clutches, but since they offer them in 2.0L and 2.5L versions it's not clear how accurate their database is. If anyone knows for sure that some of these will fit our cars, please reply to this thread and I'll update this post.

So far it looks like only one person has tried a UR clutch, he started this thread about it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1025138

RPS

http://www.turboclutch.com/

Someday, maybe?

RPS offers 3 clutches for Subarus, however it appears that none are suitable for a BL/BP or 06 WRX.

If anyone sees errors or has information that belongs in this post, please reply and I'll update this ASAP.

Edited by NSFW

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These guys didn't offer anything for us before but it looks that's recently changed.

The home:

http://www.clutchmasters.com/

The clutch:

http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?page=shop%2Fflypage&MakeID=29&FromYear=2007&MakeModelID=160&AppID=2555

Before anyone gasps at the price, note that is WITH a flywheel.

Edit: They also have numerous listings on 06+ WRX as well.

Awesome, thanks! Since yours was the 1st reply I'll just leave the 1st post as-is rather than duplicating that same information 2 inches higher on the page. :)

The prices on those pages are also MSRP, and I'm guessing street prices will probably be 20-25% lower.

Edited by NSFW
msrp/street

Torque ratings for clutches can be compared to contrast ratios for HD TVs. I would not solely buy a clutch from one manufacturer simply because their torque rating is 10 or 20 ft lb. higher. In my opinion, a clutch that is proven to work well with a company that supports their product is preferred. In general, I have been around cars running ACT clutches the most, and I plan to go that route for my personal vehicle based on the experiences other people have shared. I know a lot of people on the forum run SPEC clutches as well. Good thread and it's always nice to know all the options on the table. :)

-Franz

I'm also using a Bully clutch, Stage 1 (Kevlar & organic combo) in my OBXT with a resurfaced (Bully did it) dual-mass flywheel. It's a year old, 15,000km and it now slips in 5th gear. I spoke to Bully about it and they suggested four things that would make it slip:

1) contamination, any small bit of oil from the enigne main seal or grease from the shaft

2) the Kevlar will glaze if slipped a lot and the glazing needs to be worn off through some hard starts

3) the pressure plate is not exerting enough pressure on the disk. They can adjust the pressure after bench testing it if it's not enough.

4) the disk is worn, the flywheel is worn, the pressure plate is worn

I'm hoping mine will hold till spring as I don't have a heated garage to work in. I'll take it in to them and have them test it. I also have my old clutch parts which they said they can rebuild which will reduce my down time and cost. So far customer service has been good and for me, they're only 15 minutes from home.

Good luck,

Dale

Since the topic says BP/BL and does not narrow the scope to 5MT, let's mention 07-09 SpecB 6MT transmission accepts any STI clutch. STI clutches, including stock are bigger in diameter than stock SpecB clutch, however the stock SpecB flywheel can be used with STI specific clutches.

In the Spec section you mentioned the dual-mass flywheel couldn't be resurfaced...

I had mine resurfaced by Bully. It does require a special setup so you may have to look around for a shop that can do it if you plan to go that route.

BTW: my Stage 1 clutch & PP, #15-0331 in Oct/09 was $562 CDN (before tax & shipping)

In the Spec section you mentioned the dual-mass flywheel couldn't be resurfaced...

I had mine resurfaced by Bully. It does require a special setup so you may have to look around for a shop that can do it if you plan to go that route.

BTW: my Stage 1 clutch & PP, #15-0331 in Oct/09 was $562 CDN (before tax & shipping)

I updated the first post a few days ago but forgot to acknowledge your post until just now. Thanks for the extra information.

How do you like your SPEC Stage 1 Clutch? Any feedback?

• 1 month later...
Was going to install a ACT HDSS in my car (375wtq), but the guys at IAG (Maryland) just had a car with almost exact numbers spin that clutch under a straight 3rd gear torque load (not a clutch dump). So, I'm going with the ACT 6 puck with sprung hub and the ACT street flywheel. Still supposed to be decently streetable. Life will be shorter, but I'm always deployed anyway, so for me 10,000 miles is about 5 years.

This may be a dumb question, but I ran an ACT "street" clutch in my Integra GSR and I hated it because it would chatter when engaging at low RPMs. I would have to rev the car higher than normal(with a stock clutch) while engaging the clutch to get above the chatter range. I was told by several and even saw on ACT's website that this was normal and dealt with it.

Do any of these clutches hold stage two numbers without the chatter or is this typical and must be dealt with when modding our cars?

Edited by CapnJack

This may be a dumb question, but I ran an ACT "street" clutch in my Integra GSR and I hated it because it would chatter when engaging at low RPMs. I would have to rev the car higher than normal(with a stock clutch) while engaging the clutch to get above the chatter range. I was told by several and even saw on ACT's website that this was normal and dealt with it.

Do any of these clutches hold stage two numbers without the chatter or is this typical and must be dealt with when modding our cars?

Some people say the clutch chatters... others don't. Mine doesn't chatter except very faintly during decel... certainly not during engagement. It did chatter/shudder initially during engagement (when it was not broken in) but after break in it has been fine.

Some people say installing the TSK kit helps eliminate the chatter in all cases... so that's an option you could try as well.

Bottom line is, most people don't find the chatter that bad, and it's typically only during decel...

I just saw something. Clutchmasters lists the Legacy clutch as a "2.5i clutch". I hope that's a typo and they meant the turbo.

That would suck. :) If so, just get the 06 WRX version (with pressure plate), and an 06 WRX flywheel.

When I did this compilation I didn't fully appreciate that 06 WRX clutches can be used on BL/BP 5MTs. You just need to use an 06 WRX (or compatible) flywheel. That opens up many more options, which I did not list here.

NSFW,

Have you noticed any change in your low load/RPM knock with the new clutch?

I was looking at my release lever yesterday, where it comes through the housing (where the dust cover is) it seems to rest against the housing when the clutch is engaged. Is your's similar?