LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

I may need to pick this up then. I assume there is some scaling that needs to be adjusted when this is installed?

Yes there is a revised scaling, but the vendor provides that info and your tuner only has to plug the numbers into the map tables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there is a revised scaling, but the vendor provides that info and your tuner only has to plug the numbers into the map tables.

In your experience, is there any danger in doing this if for some reason the porting is not sufficient to eliminate my overboost issue? I realize it is basically a band-aid that isn't solving the problem but if there is no harm or damage to my engine due to those spikes, could this at least be a work-around until I'm able to get an EWG header?

Well unfortunately, this didn't work :(

I am going to investigate the 4 bar MAP sensor first, then resume my evaluation of other options. Definitely was not pleased to see that stupid P0108 code flash up after leaving the shop but what can you do? It was a gamble and the house won this time.

I had read that the Omni 4bar sensors have some reliability issues but that the 3.5bar one is fine. No side-effects to using these as such, but as you say they don't fix boost creep.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Any idea how high the boost got up to when the P0108 came up? This is one of those times a boost gauge with peak memory would be handy...

Only times I experienced boost creep and P0108 were when I floored it in 6th gear around 60-65mph on the freeway. Downshifting solved that problem, except for the times when I forgot, lol

Any idea how high the boost got up to when the P0108 came up? This is one of those times a boost gauge with peak memory would be handy...

Only times I experienced boost creep and P0108 were when I floored it in 6th gear around 60-65mph on the freeway. Downshifting solved that problem, except for the times when I forgot, lol

I picked up 27.2 on the AP. Unfortunately, it was in second gear :mad:

I had read that the Omni 4bar sensors have some reliability issues but that the 3.5bar one is fine. No side-effects to using these as such, but as you say they don't fix boost creep.

And for my own clarification, what is the limit of the stock sensor? I thought somewhere I read it was 3 bar, but if that's the case, why is 24 PSI the magical freak-out point?

I have read there is other logic that's not defined, and that it's not just the MAP sensor being pegged at 5V.

BTW, I usually remove a bit more material than your photos seem to show, especially in the area from the turbo flange to the center of the wastegate port. You can go a bit thinner there to get it more rounded off. YMMV and all that. Boost creep would also have been lessened some if you had used a catted J-pipe.

Edited by fahr_side

After more discussion with my tuner, he sent me a low (25% max) duty cycle map to re-flash, just to see what the peak boost would be that the car can reach. On this map, I maxed out at 19.1 PSI in third so it seems that the porting may actually have been successful after all and there will just need to be some adjustments made to the map.

borat-very-nice.jpg.88dce5877a3a86d6dc858f2e96ff3b47.jpg

If anyone is interested, I will be posing for sale the classifieds later today the following:

- TiAL MVS 38mm v-band external wastegate

- Grimmspeed turbo inlet adapter (for mounting a 3-port boost controller), p/n 057047

- Hallman Pro RX series manual boost controller

- Grimmspeed 3-port boost controller, p/n 057028

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be meeting up with my tuner Thursday to road tune the car. I wanted to get on the dyno to get some numbers, but the shop doesn't have availability that works with everyone's schedule until August 10...not going to wait that long to get it dialed in. With a little luck, the Panda will be back to it's old self in a few days. That makes about 6 months of not getting proper response at WOT so yeah, pretty excited :cool:

Update?

<sigh> Although (hopefully) not a big deal, we developed a boost leak as he was completing the tune. I did 2 WOT pulls with peak at ~22 PSI and then 23 PSI. He made a few adjustments to the fuel as we were running a little richer than necessary and on that pull the boost leak presented.

Since I was already 1.5 hours beyond when I told my wife I'd be back, I didn't get to look into it last night. It seems to be somewhere between the compressor and the intercooler though but it is not significant enough to have any impact during cruising or idle (vacuum) conditions as I am maintaining my normal vacuum signal of ~12 - 18" Hg and it is not running lean or jacking up the A/F Correction 1 as if compensating.

I'll be looking into it this weekend to see if I can find the source. Once that's buttoned up, we should be....aahh, shit I'm not going to finish that sentence.......

I was actually able to spend some time this weekend hunting the boost leak and found that the first coupler connection of the RacerX charge pipe had shifted and the clamp was not fully encircling the tube - part of it was compressing the coupler into nothing at all. I re-aligned the clamp, tightened it up, and did 3 WOT pulls with nice steady boost at ~23.7 PSI peak tapering to ~19.9 PSI around 6600 RPM.

I haven't had my evap code come back so I'll keep driving and monitoring that, but for the time being, I think I've finally got the car back it's old self. High five!