LegacyGT.com

Spec B winter poll

badfish11

What is your wheel/tire setup for the winter months?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is your wheel/tire setup for the winter months?

• stock 18s with new all season tires
    • stock 18s with new snow tires
    • 17s with all seasons
    • 17swith snow tires
    • No snow where I am so I don't need to worry about it
    • something else completely
    • Who cares? I didn't change anything for the winter and survived!

There are a bunch of scattered threads about this already, but I couldn't find any polls that laid out the info for us. I want to get a feel for what the spec b owners are doing/have done for the winter months involving their stock 18 inch wheels w/summer tires.

Based on other threads, it seems like most have gotten smaller wheels and are either using all seasons or snow tires for the winter.

But which wheels did you go for?

If you swapped out for some 17 inch wheels please post what wheels and tires you are using for the winter; pics if possible.

And lets also not turn this into a debate as to which wheel/tire width is better in the snow :lol:

Even though I've not gotten my Spec.b yet I'm planning on buying 17" wheels and installing dedicated snow tires. I'm undecided if I'll go with aftermarket wheels or try to get a used set of Legacy GT wheels (05 - 07 as I don't mind the 07's).

I'm still not sure whether I'm going to buy a full set of TPMS sensors for the new wheels and tires. I stumbled across a post on the internet that mentioned them being about $75 each. At that price I wouldn't mind installing a set on the new wheels. Unfortunately I've not found any option for reprogamming the TPMS system in the car other than going back to the dealer (pain in the butt). I might install the sensors in the wheels anyway and hope that someone comes out with an inexpensive aftermarket tool for resetting the system (maybe this is wishful thinking).

I'm thinking that an aggresive A/S like the Avon on 17" wheels is the solution for me. I travel mostly on freeways putting on ~20k a year. Dedicated snows would be overkill for the amount of snow we get around here and in my case lots of highspeed driving on dry roads would wear out a dedicated snow tire prematurely.

Hmm, so far 6 out of 13 voters got smaller 17s and are running snow tires on them.

My previous car was a 03 accord, as a result I have an extra set of 50 profile 17 inch bridgestone blizzaks. I think I'm going to buy a set of Kosei K1 TS wheels and mount the old blizzaks on them. (The light weight just pulled me right to the wheels. Plus I am very careful about potholes and such anyway) It should be a perfect fit from stock 18 inch tire size.

When those snow tires are gone I'll decide whether or not to get all seasons for the winter or some more snoweys. I'll have some time before that though!

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/kosei/swap/kosei_k1_ts_grey_ci3_l.jpg

Having a tough time in finding a set of 18's with studs for sure, up here in Alaska, with the way the weather has been the past few years in Anchorage, there is less snow but more ice, so studs are the way to go.

I've run 17 blizzaks on my wrx in the past, but really didn't want to get smaller rims for my Spec B when I am getting new rims for my summer tires, 3 sets of rims would make my garage cry.

Evan

Archived