LegacyGT.com

2016 WRX STi Announced..... New Trim Level Too!!

Raz007

That new WRX S4 is getting, what, 296 hp from the FA in Japan, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a year or two, the normal WRX gets bumped up to there, and the sti finally retires the EJ and gets the FA with a different turbo setup to put it somewhere in the 350ish range. I've sort of been operating under the assumption that FHI/SOA just wanted to give the aftermarket some time to monkey with the FA before putting it in the sti.

Maybe they need more time to sort out all the problems with the FA20 before putting it into the flagship car? The WRX does have the same motor and transmission as the FXT, which is subject to all sorts of recalls...
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Maybe they need more time to sort out all the problems with the FA20 before putting it into the flagship car? The WRX does have the same motor and transmission as the FXT, which is subject to all sorts of recalls...

The JDM Legacy has had this engine and transmission since 2013. If there were problems, I am sure we would have heard about it from our JDM Legacy members.

If you ask me, the WRX S4 is really a Levorg sedan. They took the WRX and made it into next the Legacy GT for Japan. Notice it has the eye sight system and electronic parking brake from the Levorg. Plus the interior is more plush than our WRX. I think the WRX S4 is actually going to replace the Legacy B4 2.0DIT sedan while the Levorg will replace the Legacy 2.0DIT wagon.

I guess the Legacy has gotten too big for Japan.

What recalls has the FXT had regarding engine and/or transmission?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Recalls? I thought it was a solid engine? But also you have to consider thats its going to be abused far differently than it was in the forester.. In a way its not a bad plan

Work well for forester? = yes

Handle abuse of WRX owners? = yes

Now dump it in STi

I bet there will be a "facelift" in '17 or '18 model. STi will get the FA, WRX will get something improved, and a hatch will be released. At that point those who settled for a sedan will be dumping them to get a hatch.

All SJ9 models sold in Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Taiwan are subject to a recall. I don't know about other markets. They're rolling through them now, in waves by VIN. As soon as they were released owners were complaining of inconsistent performance and fuel consumption. Owners with OBD-II scan tools reported that IAM would almost never stay at 1.00 and often dips low enough that the boost control system is disabled and the fail-safe fuel and timing maps called into play, most likely because the high knock count they were seeing was causing IAM to fall so far. For some time the importers were denying any problems existed even though some people did have an engine fail on them. After a while there was an update announced and the owners were requested to come in to have the ECUs reflashed. Most owners who had not had problems before reported that the cars became sluggish and thirsty after being reflashed. Those who had been having problems were not all satisfied and even those whose inconsistency problems had been resolved reported less performance and more consumption than when their cars ran at their best. Those with the ability to read OBD-II data say the cars run at lower boost and lower AFR now than they used to, indicating that the new ROM from Subaru is more conservative.

Around this time there was a second recall concerning a loose air intake pipe that allows air to pass into the intake between the MAF sensor and the turbo. Of course that causes lean fueling and too much ignition advance. At least that is easy to fix, and if the update ROM wasn't applied to the vehicle already it will be when the intake is fixed. I believe this applies to Australia also: https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1061438

A few weeks ago there was another TSB to address some bad parts in the valve gear on the left-side cylinder head, either the valve rockers or the shaft they pivot on, I'm not sure which. I do know several owners have had the engines replaced under warranty for this reason after complaining of loud knocking noises.

To make matters worse, many owners had turned to ECUtek to help them resolve the issues with the factory tune while the importers were still denying there were problems. While they largely resolved them without having any engines grenade the importers have now officially informed them they must come in for the update. Those cars that were reflashed via ECUtek will lose their warranties if they don't go in. If they do go, the dealer won't be able to reflash them since ECUtek changes the communication protocol so that the ECU can no longer be reflashed via Subaru Select Monitor. Warranty is also then going to be denied on the powertrain should anything happen to them in future. Lose/lose situation.

Still keen to be an early-adopter?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived