LegacyGT.com

Another CV Boot Thread

So I saw some white smoke coming from my downpipe area today.

I researched a bit and found that it can be due to a ripped CV boot.

since I was due an oil change, i managed to crawl under and inspect the downpipe area

Here are the results: (like a jackson pollock painting....)

http://doodels.zelossoft.com/images2/2012-08-20%2017.58.53.jpg

http://doodels.zelossoft.com/images2/2012-08-20%2017.59.28.jpg

so it looks like I would need 2 Front CV Axles.... don't think I caught it "early" to save any of it..

Question for everyone is:

How reliable are the EMPI axles? I've heard some reporting vibrations at idle and some saying they are flawless.

Anyone who recently got these and are having issues with it?

http://www.macautoparts.net/ProductInfo.aspx?id=6117758

I got my front axle from my local Advance Auto parts, IMO buy something like this local. If there is a issue with it, you can talk to the guy, and work it out in a couple of minutes. They will give you another one.

If you have to ship the bad one back... how long does it take to get a replacement?

I called Advance and asked for the axle, they said they could have it there in 45 minutes. When I bought it I noticed it came from Auto Part International, a store about 2 miles away from Advance.

Buy locally, I paid like $80.00 for a 100% new axle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had the same thing happen to me, apparently these things are quite bad with them. Did you notice anything else other than the white smoke? Did it drive any differently? And personally I'd go to Auto Zone or Advanced to get a part like that. Shipping can take a while, especially when it's your dd. Good luck with the repair, though.

I had the same thing happen to me, apparently these things are quite bad with them. Did you notice anything else other than the white smoke? Did it drive any differently? And personally I'd go to Auto Zone or Advanced to get a part like that. Shipping can take a while, especially when it's your dd. Good luck with the repair, though.

Actually the only sign I had was the white smoke from the downpipe,

well aside from the grease spilling out (i actually new there was some grease there before about a month or so ago when I changed out the Downpipe gasket to a Grimmspeed one and the crappy Home Depot screws, but i remember working on my sister's integra and there was always grease around the half shafts and boots, so i didn't give it much thought.... bad mistake i know)

I have a friend whose a mechanic that can source parts for me, but he told me that the brand he gets from his supplier is a no-name chinese brand, so I was kinda worried. I also heard bad things about Autozone's Duralast axles too, so i'm actually kinda in a bind here about which brand to get.

I know I saw some grease splatter on my bell housing probably a month ago. I don't think I'm going to take that chance and just replace the axle assembly (but i'll keep the OEM one in case i can salvage it or maybe rebuild it if everything checks out.) yeah, as a DD I can't assume that the joint is free of damage.

Anyone else with the EMPI axle (preferably more recently replaced) with an opinion/review?

I got my front axle from my local Advance Auto parts, IMO buy something like this local. If there is a issue with it, you can talk to the guy, and work it out in a couple of minutes. They will give you another one.

If you have to ship the bad one back... how long does it take to get a replacement?

I called Advance and asked for the axle, they said they could have it there in 45 minutes. When I bought it I noticed it came from Auto Part International, a store about 2 miles away from Advance.

Buy locally, I paid like $80.00 for a 100% new axle.

That makes me feel a better.. I was quoted about $70 for a new axle from O'Reily... I'm usually a firm believer of "you get what you pay for."

There's absolutely no need/reason to replace that axle if it's working fine and the boot is just leaking. Have it removed and brought to a shop to reboot and regrease and put it back on. OEM axles are good quality and more importantly, they work correctly. There have been reports of aftermarket axles not being too great.

There's absolutely no need/reason to replace that axle if it's working fine and the boot is just leaking. Have it removed and brought to a shop to reboot and regrease and put it back on. OEM axles are good quality and more importantly, they work correctly. There have been reports of aftermarket axles not being too great.

That is one thought. The other is is quicker and will cost about the same when you add in labor chrages to just replace the axle. That is why most people replace the axle.

I replaced my left front axle Sept 4 2010 at 130,000 miles. The wagon has 158,000 now, axle is still as good as the OEM. I spent $80.00 for it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

and if you do it your self you get to buy new tools ! :lol:

But really , r/r a cv boot is not too hard , its just messy to clean up the old grease. If your talking about replacing the shaft you have the capibilities to replace the boot without any issues.

Archived